What transportation is best to get around?

fairytalelover

DIS Veteran
We are staying at Aulani in February and were wondering what is the best way to gt from our resort to our various excursions around the island (i.e pearl harbor, cultural center etc...) most likely we will not be doing our excursions through Aulani but will be getting the Go Oahu Card through Costco. Is uber or lyft an option? Are taxis expensive? What about mopeds? Are buses an option?

No buses. No airport shuttles. The first time, we rented a car and we did end up going into waikiki a couple times and the north shore once but largely it was unused and valet is expensive of course and we're too lazy to self park on vacay so this time we took Speedi Shuttle to hotel and it was JAM packed- like 13 of us in the van. ($120 for the 5 of us plus tip) The private vans are twice as much so we would have just rented a car. For Feb, I'd rent a car because it won't be too expensive that time if year and free park DVC (if you're a member). Because we didnt have a car, we only left the resort once for supplies. We took a cab to Kapolei which is a $15 flat charge each way. So not bad. There is a tour that goes from Aulani to Ala Moana in waikiki but I believe its about $30 per person so again, depending how many its a price of a day's rental.

Again, if you are planning to tour any other part of the island or may want to, a car at the ready will tip the scale to venturing out. In February, I think the price of a rental would be worth it. We went at xmas and need a large SUV or van due to golf clubs so if you can so an economy- go for it.

I agree with CaliAdventurer about no busses or shuttles. Uber or Lyft can get you into Kapolei pretty easily. From what I heard, it's hard to find cars in your area when you want to leave. I would definitely get a car.

We are renting from thrifty. Paying $344 for 10 days. Will be bringing our own car seats. Not sure if it is the cheapest deal, but we rented before from thrifty and didn't get any additional charges.

We are renting from thrifty. Paying $344 for 10 days. Will be bringing our own car seats. Not sure if it is the cheapest deal, but we rented before from thrifty and didn't get any additional charges.
Where do you pick up and drop off the car? Is it close to aulani?

Unfortunately that won't work for us because we don't want to rent a car for our entire stay. So we need to rent a car from somewhere near aulani where we can drop off and pick up
There is a rental counter at Aulani; I forget which (Hertz?).

Unfortunately that won't work for us because we don't want to rent a car for our entire stay. So we need to rent a car from somewhere near aulani where we can drop off and pick up
It's Avis at Aulani. You'll have to take what they have and their price for the days you want it. It's not a pre reserved car. Won't be the cheapest but certainly the most convenient for just a couple day excursions.

You'll have to look at cars and then decide if it's worth it. Remember, the shared shuttle ONE WAY is $100+ so $200 r/t (if you have 4) At $300 for a week a car would be a way better deal. IF you get free parking with DVC it makes a whole lot of sense, even if it sits there a couple days gathering dust.

Rent a car, you'll be glad you did. We rented a big honkin' Suburban for the 6 of us from the Alamo at Aulani, and it was expensive for the week but worth it. I reserved the rental about 7 months earlier and Alamo came through for us...the car was brand new.

Honolulu..25 min drive. North shore...40 min drive, Waikiki and Diamond Head...30 min drive. You'll be glad you got a rental, so you can come and go on your own timetable.

Also, use Aulani's valet service. Same price as self parking, as I was told, but of course you'll want to rip the valets. If you rent from the Alamo there, you can return the car to the valets.

Have fun!

Rent a car, you'll be glad you did. We rented a big honkin' Suburban for the 6 of us from the Alamo at Aulani, and it was expensive for the week but worth it. I reserved the rental about 7 months earlier and Alamo came through for us...the car was brand new.

Honolulu..25 min drive. North shore...40 min drive, Waikiki and Diamond Head...30 min drive. You'll be glad you got a rental, so you can come and go on your own timetable.

Also, use Aulani's valet service. Same price as self parking, as I was told, but of course you'll want to rip the valets. If you rent from the Alamo there, you can return the car to the valets.

Have fun!
Are those drive times with or without traffic ?

So what are the typical times with traffic?

Honolulu traffic rivals what we have in Seattle, and it's horrible. The fastest I've ever gotten to Aulani from the airport is 40 minutes. The longest, just over 3 hours due to an accident on the freeway. The challenge is that, unlike in most cities, there are no side street alternatives. So if there is an accident on H1, you're stuck. There is nowhere for you, or anyone, to get off to go around.

Aulani is out of the way, which is nice for a lot of reasons. But, it's not like staying in Waikki where you can taxi to most places. You CAN taxi, but it's going to be expensive. If you do not want a car length of stay, your only option really is to rent from the Avis desk at Aulani. And with that, you're subject to the rate they give you and what they have available. As the area grows, and it is growing, more transpiration options will become available (taxis, shuttles, transit). But right now, it's very limited.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter