What was your BEST MEAL at Jiko and/or California Grill?

threeboysmom

Living the dream - near Disney!
Hi all! My DH and I are going down in September for a very quick, spur-of-the-moment trip (no kids!). I have ps's for both Jiko and California Grill. Would you mind telling me what your *favorite* meal was at either of these restaurants?

Thanks!!

Another vote for the filet at Jiko! The server told us that it is the most labor intensive dish on the menu because of all that goes into making the sauce. We ate at the CG for the first time a few weeks ago and although I know that many rave about it, I did not care for it at all - can't even remember what I ate.

I had the filet at both places and they were both great! The combination with the mac and cheese at Jiko is super.

When we had our meal at Jiko following the Sunset Safari, we had a portion of 3 entrees and they were all very good. We had the filet, chicken and monkfish. The firecracker rolls were great, too. And the creme brulee.. oh my gosh! Heaven!:D

Wow! It's unanimous!! I KNOW what I'm ordering now at Jiko's. :) OK, I need some recommendations for California Grill now..... :)

Definately Jiko. The food and service are wonderful, great atmosphere..wonderful little bar and a beautiful wine list. We have eaten at Jiko many times and can't wait to return.

CA Grill..mediocre food. We gave this restaurant one more chance last month..definately won't return.

We have always had a good meal at CA Grille. And I always order the same thing, the grilled pork tenderloin. It's always good! Their flatbreads are also good, and I keep hearing they have wonderful sushi. We haven't tried it, but we're hoping to!

I kept thinking - OK I will get the filet - I will get the filet - then when we got to Jiko - I got the monkfish, and it was one of the best meals I have ever had! (BTW- everyone else got the filet and it too was wonderful) We also had two flat breads that were great - and don't forget a zebratini!

at CG we all had the pork - I thought it was just OK but everyone else liked it - I think DH got lamb.

I seem to be in the minority, California Grill is hands down our absolute favorite. I love their sushi and always get their Tamarind Beef entree. The view is incredible as well as the food. I, personally do not care for Jiko. We have dined there three times and the first time I thought it was wonderful. The second time we were there, the chefs had changed and there were changes to the menu as well. We liked the first menu much better and were disappointed. We tried it again a third time and this time there were ants crawling all over the table, we had a window table and requested to move ASAP.

CA Grill...Sour Apple martini, smoked salmon flatbread and sushi at the bar..best meal any where!

For an entree the pork is good and I have had seared tuna which was excellent.

For something different but good, try the pomegranate glazed quails at Jiko. As soon as I saw this on the menu, I was intrigued so I ordered it and enjoyed it very much. DH had the monkfish.

For dessert, we ran down to Mara for some Zebra domes.

I haven't tried Jiko, but did go to California Grill last week. It was fabulous, had sushi, wine, ahi tuna entree, moist chocolate dessert (yummy), lots more (free) wine, great server & awesome view of the Wishes fireworks, sunset & view of the GF, POLY & MAGIC KINGDOM. It was definitely one of the big highlights of my DD (8 yrs old)...:bounce:

That pork tenderoin at CG and the berber braised Lamb Shank at JIko's are my favorites.

The Pork & Beef Filet are really good at CG. But we have also enjoyed goat cheese Ravioli, Flat breads, Soups, I thnk my DH had Lamb once. I had a good Tuna there before. And the desserts are good. The wine selection is very good & wide varity.
We have never had a bad meal at CG.
Kae

Haven't tried Jiko, but had a Christmas Eve dinner at CG a couple of years ago. I don't remember the entree:o but it was very good and the sushi was an excellent appetizer:earsboy:

We have not yet had the pleasure of Jikos, but we adore the California Grill. The best meal we ever had at DW - and we've had lots and lots and lots of meals - was begun with a large sushi appetizer (apparently there are only 5 world class sushi chefs in the world who are women and CG employs one of them), continued with the filet in burgandy, and brought to completion with the lava cake, which you have to order while enjoying your entree 20 minutes before dessert, because the chef prepares each one from scratch as they are ordered.

Wonderful, wonderful meal.

Peace,
Viki:Pinkbounc

But have dined at CG many times.

Sorry, webray, but with all due respect, your claim that CG has "mediocre food" can not go unchallenged.
To suggest that CG has "mediocre food" is like saying the Magic Kingdom is an average theme park.

We always hit CG our 1st night at WDW. The pork tenderloin is amazing. So is the barbecue filet. Desserts are great, and if they have the smoked salmon flatbread appetizer, it's worth a try. They load that up so much, they've gotta lose money on it.

If you head out to watch the fireworks on the deck (as you should) you can safely leave your dinner if you're not finished and resume when you return.

The view of the fireworks from that deck is spectacular!

I'd hit the nice bar, too. The bartenders are super. If Dennis is working, ask him to make you his special "cake" martini. Tell him a Packer fan recommended it.

I know you'll enjoy CG. It's one of the best restaurants in all of WDW.

Thank you SO MUCH for your replies! The few negatives about CG have made me nervous, but I decided to keep our ps and make up our own minds about the restaurant. I was leaning towards the pork tenderloin, so I'm glad to hear it's a favorite, and my DH will most likely go with the beef (tamerind?)

Thanks again! I'm looking forward to finally trying these 2 restaurants. They've been on my "want-to-try" list for a while now.........

Maybe the best meal I've ever had in my life was the "Chermoula Roasted Chicken"--it comes with perserved lemons, garlic, Kalamata olives and herbs--mostly lemongrass and was a perfect blend of flavors.

It was so good I had to go back and have it again

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter