What would you do for your 50th birthday at Aulani/Oahu?

sgrap

DIS Veteran
We are going in early June for my 50th and our son's college graduation. Still trying to figure out what I want to do for my birthday. Our party will include myself, dh, ds 24, ds 22, dd 15 and dd 13. I have some physical limitations: bad back ( so really rough rides are out), bad knee ( I do a lot of walking, but it won't take miles and miles of steep terrain), and severe motion sickness/sea sickness. I'm not a spa-type person. I would love to do something family oriented that I would enjoy and then maybe a nice dinner? So far I'm just not coming up with anything. Tons of things the rest of my family will love, but not me. Usually I'm OK with that, but on my birthday it would be nice to enjoy something all together. :goodvibes We will have a rental car. Thanks for any suggestions!

what are your interests? History, entertainment, shopping? What would you do at home or at WDW?

We are going in early June for my 50th and our son's college graduation. Still trying to figure out what I want to do for my birthday. Our party will include myself, dh, ds 24, ds 22, dd 15 and dd 13. I have some physical limitations: bad back ( so really rough rides are out), bad knee ( I do a lot of walking, but it won't take miles and miles of steep terrain), and severe motion sickness/sea sickness. I'm not a spa-type person. I would love to do something family oriented that I would enjoy and then maybe a nice dinner? So far I'm just not coming up with anything. Tons of things the rest of my family will love, but not me. Usually I'm OK with that, but on my birthday it would be nice to enjoy something all together. :goodvibes We will have a rental car. Thanks for any suggestions!

How about a Luau and upgrade to VIP seating?

what are your interests? History, entertainment, shopping? What would you do at home or at WDW?
We are DLR people. Mostly I just like spending time with my family, taking pictures, love shows of different types. I am a stay-at-home mom and homeschool mom, so my life has been pretty much about kids for the last almost 25 years!

If you're looking for a day trip there is Pearl Harbor. Or a nice drive to waimai falls. It's about half mile from parking to the falls but it's an easy walk. The kids could go swimming in th falls, and then you could drive a little more on the north shore which is lovely. For dinner, you might consider a luau. Paradise cove is an easy walk from Aulani. Or if you would rather just do a nice dinner, there is ama ama at Aulani with a lovely view of the ocean or go down the street to Roy's which has excellent food. Or in Kapolei which is about a five min drive back toward honolulu there is an Italian restaurant we like called Assagios. But you need to make reservations for dinner well ahead of time. Early June is the start of the busy season. And it might already be too late to get tickets to Pearl Harbor. You can go to their web site for free tickets.

Finally, four seasons next door to Aulani will be open by then so it might have some great dining options. We arrive on May 20 for our fourth visit and I'm looking forward to seeing what the four seasons will have as dining options.

The kids would probably love surfing lessons and or snorkeling at hanama bay. Or some hiking trails. Also your two older boys may get a little bored with Aulani at night. There's not much going on. They could go across the street to the Monkeypod for live music and a nice selection of beers. Or the four seasons may offer some new venues with music.

What about going to the Polynesian Cultural Center? I've read that the Polynesian's Great Ceremonial House is based on it. We did the dance show there years ago and it was GREAT. They also have a luau but they do not serve alcohol since the PCC is a Mormon entity.

Can you swim? Snorkeling in Oahu is always great. Hanauma Bay is very busy, but it's also very protected with TONS of fish: http://www.hawaiisnorkelingguide.com/hanauma_bay.html

Hiking up Diamondhead is fun, but might be too much for your knees.

I also toured Doris Duke's house named Shangri La. It has a very impressive collection of Islamic art: http://shangrilahawaii.org/

Ok, I have a couple of ideas-If you like photography, I remember reading one report on the DVC boards where the poster took an advanced photography safari tour with Oahu Photography Tours . This would not include the family though but it is a special kind of once in a lifetime type of treat. Here is the link to her report
http://www.disboards.com/threads/paradise-lost…-and-found-–-our-family’s-first-trip-to-aulani-hawaii-updated-1-19-16.3291630/page-2#post-51754160

http://www.oahuphotographytours.com/

Another thought is "Stars Above Hawaii" it is pricey but in Hawaii any star gazing is worth it and this could include the family

http://starsabovehawaii.com/sah/
https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attracti...s-Stars_Above_Hawaii-Kapolei_Oahu_Hawaii.html

I just love that having your family with you is important to you, I am the same way-not everyone gets it but I know how lucky I am to have the amazing family I do so I celebrate it all the time!

Last edited:
I do like the Waimea Falls park idea and Poly CC for the day and Luau. Those are great suggestions too

I really want to eat at Dukes, and have heard good stuff about it, maybe you could add that in sometime during your trip....

How about heading into honoluu, splitting up some and then reconvene for dinner? Moana surfrider and halekulani both offer afternoon teas that you and some of your group may enjoy. There is also shopping and the royal palace. Others may choose to get a surf lesson at those hotels or just enjoy Waikiki beach. When we go, part of the group is hiking diamond head while others have a "high tea" party overlooking the ocean. I agree that this 1 special day should be about you!

Thank you everyone for all the great suggestions! I will keep researching but I am glad to have these ideas to start me out!:-) We are thinking of a getting a 4-day Go Card from Costco to use for some of the activities.

If you're looking for a day trip there is Pearl Harbor. Or a nice drive to waimai falls. It's about half mile from parking to the falls but it's an easy walk. The kids could go swimming in th falls, and then you could drive a little more on the north shore which is lovely. For dinner, you might consider a luau. Paradise cove is an easy walk from Aulani. Or if you would rather just do a nice dinner, there is ama ama at Aulani with a lovely view of the ocean or go down the street to Roy's which has excellent food. Or in Kapolei which is about a five min drive back toward honolulu there is an Italian restaurant we like called Assagios. But you need to make reservations for dinner well ahead of time. Early June is the start of the busy season. And it might already be too late to get tickets to Pearl Harbor. You can go to their web site for free tickets.

Finally, four seasons next door to Aulani will be open by then so it might have some great dining options. We arrive on May 20 for our fourth visit and I'm looking forward to seeing what the four seasons will have as dining options.

The kids would probably love surfing lessons and or snorkeling at hanama bay. Or some hiking trails. Also your two older boys may get a little bored with Aulani at night. There's not much going on. They could go across the street to the Monkeypod for live music and a nice selection of beers. Or the four seasons may offer some new venues with music.
When will four seasons open please

This is a great thread and an early happy birthday

What about an island tour just your family. See the turtles

Or Polynesian centre

We did dukes at outrigger Waikiki beach last year

Go dolphin watching .... Or no good due to motion

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter