• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What Would You Do? okw vs AKL

mrsgoose8

Mouseketeer
Deciding between a studio at OKW and a Value 1-BR at AKL. Point savings is 22, which is a lot when you only have 100! We haven't stayed at OKW yet, but we are staying there in June.

We are a family of four, kids will be 5 & almost 3 at the time of the trip.

Worth the saving of 22 points? Thoughts!!?

Tia!

The OKW Studio is larger (390 sq.) and will have two queen beds. The AKV Value Studio (316 sq. ft.) will have a queen bed and a sleeper sofa.

As a 1 BR lover, I'd go for the 1 BR at AKL. Remember, the 1 BRs have a washer and dryer in the unit, very helpful with little ones. Also, there's a separate bedroom for nap time. And 2 TVs, so they can watch cartoons while you and DH watch something else. Bigger refrigerator for milk, ice, etc.

I would go for the AKV value studio if you can get it. Either resort will be bus only. The value will be near the lobby of Jambo (I remember reading that somewhere). Mara & pool will be near by and lots of activities through out the day.

The only reason I would pick OKW and more points is if you really don't like the sofa bed.

AKV studio is booked...
Am I wrong in thinking that the OKW studios are significantly larger than the AKV Studios? We have stayed in the AKV (just the two of us) and thought it would be tight with the 4 of us...

AKV studio is booked...
Am I wrong in thinking that the OKW studios are significantly larger than the AKV Studios? We have stayed in the AKV (just the two of us) and thought it would be tight with the 4 of us...

The OKW Studio is larger (390 sq.) and will have two queen beds. The AKV Value Studios are 316 sq. ft., all other AKV Jambo House Studios are 365 sq. ft. The AKV Kidani Village Studios are 366 sq. ft. All AKV Studios will have a queen bed and a sleeper sofa.

We stayed in a 316ft one, as far as i can tell. I wish i had a better spatial understanding of how much bigger 390 sq feet will be!! :) I do know they all have to be better than the Pop! (our only other onsite experience so far!) two queen beds appeals to me, my kids are still young enough to share a bed. I hate having to move the sofa bed in an out...

i was wrong and it's actually a savings of about 45 points! that can make a big difference for trips in 2015.

According to the Pop thread, the average room size is only 290 sqft! So think of that and add a mid-sized walk-in closet (about 20sqft).

If the 45 pts is significant, maybe go half way and get a standard AKV studio.

OKW studio has 2Q beds and will "feel" like a decent size hotel room with a fridge, microw, toaster, coffee maker, and a little round table with 2 chairs. I wouldn't say it is spacious. AKV value 1BR will have K bed in separate BR, full kitchen with full size appliances, W/D, dining area, queen size pull out sofa, TV in BR and TV in living room. The "value" size is only a bit smaller than regular--you won't notice that it is a "value"--but WILL notice that it is a 1BR villa. I would go with AKV for the space, 2 TVs, ability to put kids to bed earlier and still relax in unit vs. having to creep out to OKW balcony with a flash light.

I find myself ready to go to bed with the kids after a day of disney with them! ha! :) I am leaning more towards the OKW studio after watching the video of the room available on touring plans website. Reality is we may not cook in our room At ALL. (we haven't yet!) sure we bring granola bars, water... but realistically we have found we like to be on DDP- we know we don't save $ but we do feel more relaxed... If we drive, (possible) then we could cook more...but... mama wants to be on vacation! :) hmmm....

I like the idea of 2 rooms with children. If the 1 bedroom value is available, that's what I would pick.

Personally I would choose the one bedroom. I like the extra sleeping room, not to mention the king bed for DH and I. Plus its then easy to put the kids to bed but still stay up and hang out in our bedroom or on the deck. Although we don't "cook" in our villa we certainly fill the fridge with drinks and snacks. And I just like the washer/dryer in the villa - it comes in handy and use it every trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter