What would you do? Renter wants to cancel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarolinaMike

Earning My Ears
I have a renter that wants to cancel their reservation ( which is in less than 60 days) or have try to have someone else takeover. They just signed the contract a few days ago. Since it was close to reservation date My contract stated all funds received NON-REFUNDABLE and no sub-lease to a third party. There are no other provisions for cancellation of rebooking as this was made at 60 day window.
As a good gesture I offered to allow them to be able to rebook and use the points until January 31st of 2022. Even though I don't have to as it isn't contract.
It seems they completely want to disregard the contract.
I think I am being fair. What would you do/ or have done in this situation?

I’d stick to the contract. Had this been set many months ago with hopes of a better 2021, I might be more lenient.... but it was just set. My guess... they found another owner renting cheaper and hav3 buyers remorse.

How did they pay you? Is there a risk of losing a dispute? I’d think not with the contract... but will you have to fight it?

I can only answer as a renter, we've done it 3 times now. Luckily we were able to follow thru as originally planned.

If something serious had come up I'd hope the owner would at least try to help move the reservation if possible, but I'd also try to make that as painless as possible by picking a date that's sooner than later and understanding that I'd probably need to compromise with whatever is left of resort and room pickings.

I have a renter that wants to cancel their reservation ( which is in less than 60 days) or have try to have someone else takeover. They just signed the contract a few days ago. Since it was close to reservation date My contract stated all funds received NON-REFUNDABLE and no sub-lease to a third party. There are no other provisions for cancellation of rebooking as this was made at 60 day window.
As a good gesture I offered to allow them to be able to rebook and use the points until January 31st of 2022. Even though I don't have to as it isn't contract.
As a person who sometimes rents I have the other perspective so it might be helpful to hear it from me. Tough cookies for them. I hate to say that, but this is a business transaction and everybody has to stick to the rules. How would I like it if 59 days before my trip my renter cancelled on me? 😲. It stinks it has to be this way but it has to in order for all of us to continue this win win situation.

I think that you’re being more than fair giving them another option when they knew what they agreed to in the signed contract.

I’ve been on both sides. As a renter, I knew the risk of renting, but of course the option to rebook would be much appreciated if something came up (but I wouldn’t expect it). As an owner who has rented my points, I know it’s a bit more work to rebook, but I would probably offer it as a sign of goodwill as you said. But I would be firm in reminding them of the binding contract that they signed and that you’d be willing to rebook even though it wasn’t in the contract.

I’d stick to the contract. Had this been set many months ago with hopes of a better 2021, I might be more lenient.... but it was just set. My guess... they found another owner renting cheaper and hav3 buyers remorse.

How did they pay you? Is there a risk of losing a dispute? I’d think not with the contract... but will you have to fight it?

Hi - I was paid via PayPal invoice I sent. I don't t know how that works within Paypa. But my contract stated in more than one place Non-Refundable and no 3rd party transfer.

I was paid via the PayPal Invoice I sent them. I'm not sure if they can dispute.??The contract states in more than 1 place NonRefundable and no 3rd party rental.

I would adhere to the contract, with two questions. Why won't you let them find another renter? It's no skin off your back for them to find a renter and you just change the name on res and refund one and take payment from the other? As to your general question...absolutely follow the contract. A personal example for us...we give no refunds for any reason. A renter said they lost their job and needed to at minimum rerent. After thinking for a couple of days, we refunded out of our goodwill. Two weeks later, we found out they were looking for a new res even before we gave a refund! So, we are inclined to believe that your renter is having buyers remorse after seeing a better deal. But in the end, the reason doesn't matter. You might have a hang nail or a family member might have died...I can't use the emotional resources to parse who's telling the truth and who's lying.
Two, why not let them rebook up to the end of your use year? Again, no skin off your back right?
Overall...absolutely hold the line on no refund. You can either save money and have a lot of risk (renting), or pay top dollar and have minimal to no risk (disney direct).

I would adhere to the contract, with two questions. Why won't you let them find another renter? It's no skin off your back for them to find a renter and you just change the name on res and refund one and take payment from the other? As to your general question...absolutely follow the contract. A personal example for us...we give no refunds for any reason. A renter said they lost their job and needed to at minimum rerent. After thinking for a couple of days, we refunded out of our goodwill. Two weeks later, we found out they were looking for a new res even before we gave a refund! So, we are inclined to believe that your renter is having buyers remorse after seeing a better deal. But in the end, the reason doesn't matter. You might have a hang nail or a family member might have died...I can't use the emotional resources to parse who's telling the truth and who's lying.
Two, why not let them rebook up to the end of your use year? Again, no skin off your back right?
Overall...absolutely hold the line on no refund. You can either save money and have a lot of risk (renting), or pay top dollar and have minimal to no risk (disney direct).

I am sure they are trying to rerent from someone else as I was given two different vague reasons for wanting to cancel.

AS a for allowing them to find someone else for reservation. This is stated as a no in the contract as well. That involves changing lead name on reservation. I would then have to have a new contract with new person per Disney rules. This new person could want to change on me as well and I could be stuck in this merry go round forever.

As a good will gesture I did offer them they could rebook until January 31, 2022 that is end of my use year. Again this not allowed for in contract but I am trying to allow them use of points. The statement I then got was I will check with hubby to see if we can cancel flights and car rental. Yeah I think they are playing me.

Not to mention if you allowed them to rerent the room that means you have to call MS to change the lead name on the reservation and the hold times have been insane. Up to 60 to 85 minutes hold times. Ouch that is a lot your time spent sitting on hold.

I think you're being fair by going outside of the contract and offering them the chance to reschedule until the end of your UY (February?). They should have had time to negotiate that clause during your discussions regarding the rental but I suppose that not every renter takes that into consideration.

I would not offer them the option of them finding a renter to take the reservation. This places them in the middle as a negotiator on your behalf. I prefer to deal directly with the renters. For all you know, they could find a renter willing to pay more and pocket the difference. My rental agreement stipulates no changes to the lead name for this reason.

I would consider refunding if I could find someone to rent the points for the same price before the reservation takes place (or before the cancellation policy changes at the end of April). If I could find someone to rent those points for less money, I would refund the reduced amount. I would not offer the dedicated reservation for rent due to needing to call Member Services to make the changes. But that is not something you have to do because your contract is very clear that there are no refunds.

I agree with others that I think you are being more than fair.

As someone who has rented a multitude of times, I have gone into each contract knowing it was non-refundable. I specifically look for owners with a contract and references. I feel like this protects both the buyer and seller and clearly maps out for situations just like this.

This past year I did have a scenario where we wanted to reschedule. The contract stated it was nonrefundable, but was willing to work with a renter prior to 60 days of the reservation. I emailed the owner and asked if it was a possibility to move our reservation up but fully knew this was not required. They obliged and we actually traveled sooner and rented almost double the points from our original reservation. (We had booked 11 months out and prior to the pandemic). Due to this, I most certainly will continue to rent from this owner exclusively unless they do not have points available.

I am also in the process of purchasing my first resale contract as well. I will admit; I would be leery of renting out my points if needed despite the fact that I, myself, rented many times direct with an owner. (all very positive experiences)

I think with the pandemic, there has been an influx in renting which also drives up an influx of renters (and owners) who are new and green to this process. I am sure many rush in with little regard to actually reading/or abiding by a contract. I get things arise and we are in a unique situation right now, but I feel like your option to let them change their date until January 31st is more than hospitable.

Good luck and let us know how it shakes out.

Given your update that they’ve been vague on reason and it sounds like weren’t planning on changing flights/car.... I‘d stick with it. Your extension offer is more than fair. People want the price of renting without the risks and it just doesn’t work that way. If they found a better deal later, tough. That’s a lesson to them to look around more next time. Although hopefully next time there won’t be a pandemic and so many deals to be had.

I am sure they are trying to rerent from someone else as I was given two different vague reasons for wanting to cancel.

AS a for allowing them to find someone else for reservation. This is stated as a no in the contract as well. That involves changing lead name on reservation. I would then have to have a new contract with new person per Disney rules. This new person could want to change on me as well and I could be stuck in this merry go round forever.

As a good will gesture I did offer them they could rebook until January 31, 2022 that is end of my use year. Again this not allowed for in contract but I am trying to allow them use of points. The statement I then got was I will check with hubby to see if we can cancel flights and car rental. Yeah I think they are playing me.

If they haven't cancelled car/flights then why would they want to cancel this reservation? I would suspect they also are trying to shop around/find another deal.

I’d just remind them of what you all agreed on, but you are willing to move it forward for them even though you are not required.

I would also give them a deadline for moving it. Holding penalties are going back in place May 1st so you want to try and avoid that as that will make any request from them more difficult to achieve.

If they fail to move by that date, then just leave as is. Rentals come with risks and honestly, if a renter wants to be able to cancel or change, they should either not rent or find an owner who offers those options as some do.

When I rent, I am pretty strict and do not offer refunds, name changes, or date changes. I charge less for it and realize it will not meet needs of everyone but the few times, the people were willing to agree.

Good luck

Here is why I would not. You then have a reservation paid by one in the name of the other.

Yes, you can go through the entire refund and charge new but again, more work when you made it clear at the beginning it was not going to be allowed.

edited-- after reading posts here and elsewhere, I also wonder if it's a scammer--that $ paid by them would somehow be deemed fraudulent and reversed out of your Paypal account but then you would have also refunded them? And then you're actually out the funds.
At most, I would offer to rebook them or offer to rebook points yourself, and AFTER those guests had completed their stay, refund her minus Paypal fees and difference in rental proceeds.

Las

Last edited:

I think your instincts are correct, stick to your contract. If they aren't cancelling flights they are still going.

One additional reason to not allow them to re-rent:
They just booked this, presumably paying with a credit card on paypal. If you allow them to re-rent, they could pretend to be you while renting to a third party and collecting money for the rental. When you change the names on the contract, it triggers the email to the third party with the booking information, thereby making the third party "sure" they are dealing with you. You'll all be happy, until the original renter issues a chargeback on the card, or the card used on paypal by the original renter turns out to be stolen, in which case you're out the money for the rental, have a third party who will claim to have paid you, and good luck finding the original renter!

Offering to let them book another trip in their names until January 2022 is a very generous, and safe, offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter