What would you have done?

SSR-CM said:
The REAL Story: Anyone at the counter gets a vacant room - choice is another matter. If we have paying guests, they might be assigned more envied rooms. Between paying and DVC Members, paying wins out. If there is an upgrade to made, paying gets it. DVC Members don't get point upgrades, except in DIRE circumstances. If there are complaints, paying guests get $$ compesation pretty quickly. Paying guests have a better chance of getting their room requests.
If this post is from someone "in-the-know" and is true, then I am very disappointed. As has been stated countless times, DVC owners are "paying" customers. This is sad if true.

To the OP...I agree that they should have made you aware of the problem as soon as they knew about it and they should have taken the necessary measures to get it resolved asap. All problems, large or small, are always the fault of management. They either knew about it and did nothing exceptional to remedy the problem or they didn't know about it and they should have. Anytime a room isn't ready at the appointed check-in time, management should be involved. Just my 2 cents.

Originally Posted by SSR-CM
The REAL Story: Anyone at the counter gets a vacant room - choice is another matter. If we have paying guests, they might be assigned more envied rooms. Between paying and DVC Members, paying wins out. If there is an upgrade to made, paying gets it. DVC Members don't get point upgrades, except in DIRE circumstances. If there are complaints, paying guests get $$ compesation pretty quickly. Paying guests have a better chance of getting their room requests.

Well, I think that my $25,00.00 cash for DVC points and my annual membership fees accounts for me being a "PAYING CUSTOMER!"

tjkraz said:
Realistically, these things have to be done. In an earlier post you basically said that you'd have been more understanding if there was an urgent need for the cleaning. Remember that the same carpet you think can wait another week might have another guests at the front desk ranting about the poor condition of his/her room.

The purpose of this sort of preventive maintenance is to keep problems (like ridiculously dirty carpets) from occurring in the first place.

Sounds like the resort stepped up to the plate nicely by picking-up dinner for your family as a way of apologizing for the inconvenience.

If it had happened to me, by now I wouldn't even remember it. It would take my wife retelling the story for me to pipe in "oh, yeah, our carpet was wet when we got to the room....but we got a free meal out of it!!!"

So are you saying that you would not have even complained?? You would have simply put your kids in the smelly room with the soaking wet carpet? Hmmmm.......

If they had indicated, for example, that the previous tenants had sick kids who threw up on the carpet and checked out late that would be a reasonable excuse. "We're sorry, but there was a problem with the room so there will be a delay until X until we can make it ready for you" would have been appropriate. A routine carpet cleaning, done in such a way that the room would certainly not be ready for us until maybe the next day, and just leaving us hanging, is not.

And getting $60 for dinner really is not adequate compensation for the loss of the room. It is interesting that you seem to think it was a bonus. Maybe you will be "lucky" enough to have this happen to you and you can enjoy a "free meal" but no room. :rolleyes:

SSR-CM said:

This has NOT been the case in my numerous stays. We have nearly always gotten our room requests AND we have been upgraded on point stays -- at BWV last October, as a matter of fact, we were upgraded from standard view to Boardwalk view. I have simply never like a second-class citizen AT ALL when staying on points.

FredS said:
If they had indicated, for example, that the previous tenants had sick kids who threw up on the carpet and checked out late that would be a reasonable excuse. "We're sorry, but there was a problem with the room so there will be a delay until X until we can make it ready for you" would have been appropriate. A routine carpet cleaning, done in such a way that the room would certainly not be ready for us until maybe the next day, and just leaving us hanging, is not.

Let me rephrase: In my opinion, the error was not in cleaning in the carpet in the first place, the error was in not properly ventilating the room so that it would dry in time. Neither of us really knows what the carpet looked like before it was cleaned. The fact that you were told nobody vomited on the carpet earlier that day doesn't necessarily mean that it was in what housekeeping considered to be acceptable condition.

If they hadn't cleaned the rug before you arrived, it's conceivable that you could now be posting about the horrible condition of your room upon arrival.

I realize you're not likely to agree with my POV on this, but I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm not willing to accept that some disgruntled BWV carpet cleaner decided to make your stay miserable by cleaning the rug at 3:55.

And getting $60 for dinner really is not adequate compensation for the loss of the room. It is interesting that you seem to think it was a bonus. Maybe you will be "lucky" enough to have this happen to you and you can enjoy a "free meal" but no room. :rolleyes:

If you were unable to use the room for the night, then I agree with what dianeschlicht said...the points for at least that portion of the room should have been refunded. No question about that.

But didn't you say that you were able to get into the room after dinner but the rug was just a little damp?

If I'm reading this correctly, you got into the 1B portion of the villa at 4pm (or shortly thereafter.) At least you had a place to take your suitcases, unpack the groceries, change clothes, shower, etc. Not ideal circumstances, of course, but they didn't strand you in the lobby either.

By 5:30 you entered the Studio portion and discovered the wet carpet. A complaint to the front desk resulted in greater efforts to resolve the problem and a free dinner.

Here's where I'm stuck: What exactly are YOU expecting at this point?

I wholeheartedly agree that the problem shouldn't have happened in the first place. These resorts have large blowers that can be used to dry the carpets in very short time, and it sounds like someone neglected to use them on the unit in question. I think we disagree on the "preventive maintenance" aspect--given the occupancy levels of DVC resorts, I HOPE they aren't waiting for rooms to be empty for a night to clean carpets properly--but that's neither here nor there.

If you want validation to contact DVC and the resort about the housekeeping mis-step, you certainly have it from me. ;)

On the other hand, if you are questioning whether you were adequately compensated for the inconvenience, I would have to say 'yes.' I understand that this put a damper on your vision of the perfect trip, but nobody can roll-back the clock and fix that now. It doesn't sound like you lost use of the room for 24 hours--you lost use of the room for 1 1/2 hours (plus the time you spent at dinner), and then had damp socks for the night.

Again, just my $.02.

You've asked for others' opinions. Quid pro quo. What do you think the resort should have done?

I was curious as to how others would have reacted in the same situation. Your response seemed to indicate that there wasn't a problem and that we were someone fortunate to get a free meal.

I was not ranting about how much BWV owed me, or that I hated the place or anything. Perhaps I wasn't clear to you, or misunderstood, but simply wanted to set the record straight as to the situation. Well after check-in, we had soaking wet carpet, room not released to us, only our persistence in checking further ourselves even made it possible for the room to be usable by the next day. Still damp, smelly carpet late at night is not a huge improvement. And the front desk specifically said it was routine cleaning, which, to me, makes it more obvious the ball was dropped.

I never said, nor I think suggested, that someone was deliberately trying to ruin my vacation by cleaning the carpet at the last minute. Apparently I got sucked into even responding to your post which seems only an effort find fault with me without simply responding to a simple question, which you could have ignored. And your stretch that if they hadn't cleaned the carpet then I would be complaining about that?! Puhleeze.

FredS said:
I was curious as to how others would have reacted in the same situation. Your response seemed to indicate that there wasn't a problem and that we were someone fortunate to get a free meal.

I was not ranting about how much BWV owed me, or that I hated the place or anything. Perhaps I wasn't clear to you, or misunderstood, but simply wanted to set the record straight as to the situation. Well after check-in, we had soaking wet carpet, room not released to us, only our persistence in checking further ourselves even made it possible for the room to be usable by the next day. Still damp, smelly carpet late at night is not a huge improvement. And the front desk specifically said it was routine cleaning, which, to me, makes it more obvious the ball was dropped.

I never said, nor I think suggested, that someone was deliberately trying to ruin my vacation by cleaning the carpet at the last minute. Apparently I got sucked into even responding to your post which seems only an effort find fault with me without simply responding to a simple question, which you could have ignored. And your stretch that if they hadn't cleaned the carpet then I would be complaining about that?! Puhleeze.
Fred, I delayed responding intentionally. IMO, it's is unreasonable for a room to be assigned that is not ready to go. And that includes both sides of a 2 BR lockoff in this situation. They clearly made a mistake and then tried to cover it up to a degree. However, the question to you is how would you have handled it if they simply said we don't have a BW view unit for you and offered you something else, possibly with the option of moving back to BW view the next day. Or the 1 BR for the night opening to the 2 BR the following day. I feel you should get the points for the studio for that 1 night and the free meal. Given the circumstances that is all they really could reasonably do. Of course some additional training for both the front desk staff and housekeeping seem in order as well.

But as usual, it's not what they do but how they do it that really counts to making the member feel better.

SSR-CM said:

Paying guests as we have already discussed can book certain views and therefore be assigned more envied rooms by virtue of the booking. This was discussed in the WLV thread. Certainly if for some reason due to the point situation if a resort needs to move someone from a studio to a one bedroom then a paying guest will be chosen. No problem with that and we all understand that.

Not sure paying guests have a better chance of getting their room requests or compensation for problems. Unless that room request is guaranteed by virtue of the booking not by virtue of just the request. What do you base this comment on?

We have equally gotten room requests at DVC and nonDVC and received compensation for problems at both.

FredS said:

I never said nor implied that YOU were "fortunate to get a free meal." You asked what OTHERS would have done. My response was that I would have given the resort an opportunity to correct the problem, happily accepted the complimentary meal as their form of apology, and forgotten about the incident by the next day.

How YOU choose to deal with it is up to you.

And the front desk specifically said it was routine cleaning, which, to me, makes it more obvious the ball was dropped.

YES, a ball was dropped. That much is clear.

However, you seem to be advocating a stance that routine maintenance should be postponed if a guest will be using the room later that day. I, on the other hand, believe that the maintenace is necessary and appropriate, but that housekeeping should take necessary steps to insure that the guest is not inconvenienced.

Apparently I got sucked into even responding to your post which seems only an effort find fault with me without simply responding to a simple question, which you could have ignored.

You asked a general "what would you do" question, and mine was just one of a dozen replies received. I could really care less about "finding fault" with you, I was just answering your question. The fact that you don't agree with my response is your own business.

And your stretch that if they hadn't cleaned the carpet then I would be complaining about that?! Puhleeze.

Personally, I think this is the most important part of the discussion. You are taking the word of a front desk staff member that it was "routine maintenance", and twisting that to imply that the cleaning was unnecessary.

Neither you nor I nor that front desk CM saw the carpet before it was cleaned. ALL routine maintenance has a time and a purpose. And the resort certainly has the equipment and the procedures necessary to clean and dry a carpet in 5 hours' time or less. The fact that those processes weren't followed is what needs to be addressed...not the fact that housekeeping was following published procedures in cleaning and maintaining guest rooms.

When we were at BWV recently the manager told us occupancy during F&W was pretty much at 100% from start to finish. It's a very unfortunate situation, but I'm guessing they had few choices on other rooms. As far as washing the carpets, my guess is that there was a special reason that carpet had to be cleaned right then and there, though they didn't share it with you (or maybe with the CM at the desk). It doesn't seem like shampooing carpets would be a high priority otherwise when the hotel was fully occupied.

Dean said:
Fred, I delayed responding intentionally. IMO, it's is unreasonable for a room to be assigned that is not ready to go. And that includes both sides of a 2 BR lockoff in this situation. They clearly made a mistake and then tried to cover it up to a degree. However, the question to you is how would you have handled it if they simply said we don't have a BW view unit for you and offered you something else............ I feel you should get the points for the studio for that 1 night and the free meal. Given the circumstances that is all they really could reasonably do. Of course some additional training for both the front desk staff and housekeeping seem in order as well.

But as usual, it's not what they do but how they do it that really counts to making the member feel better.

You hit the nail on the head. The front desk was beyond passive in their response. If they had said initially (or heck, at any point) that there was a problem with the room and presented us with some options it would have been so much better than letting us wait so long, then just not releasing the room, then only making efforts to get it usable after we went back and reminded them that we still didn't have a room. We had to initiate every communication and barely got a response in return. It was the feeling that they really didn't care about the problem and only were going to make any effort if we really pushed.

Disney's ace in the hole for me has always been that they have high standards, and if there are any problems they will make it right -- WITHOUT a huge hassle and effort on my part. I really hope that this was an aberration and not a sign of deterioration in customer service.

FredS said:
Disney's ace in the hole for me has always been that they have high standards, and if there are any problems they will make it right -- WITHOUT a huge hassle and effort on my part. I really hope that this was an aberration and not a sign of deterioration in customer service.
I think you have higher expectations of Disney than I do. While I would agree that at times and in many areas, they go above and beyond, I do not find that the case in all areas with DVC. Take the handling of requests. DVC's approach to difficulty fulfilling requests has been essentially take away any meaningful way to make requests and remove any responsibility for the resorts to do so appropriately. What they should have done was tell us all that they would only take reasonable requests, such as smoking/NS, general location, and the like. Instead they let those with the gumption to demand specific rooms or other similar very strict requests, to ruin it for everyone. Same will eventually happen to pool hopping and has to a degree already.

Dean said:
.... What they should have done was tell us all that they would only take reasonable requests, such as smoking/NS, general location, and the like. Instead they let those with the gumption to demand specific rooms or other similar very strict requests, to ruin it for everyone. Same will eventually happen to pool hopping and has to a degree already.

I totally agree.

SSR-CM said:
I have gotten room upgrades at least twice at BWV
And don't understand why anyone feels they are intitled to room requests IMO, know I'll be flamed for that. :earsgirl:

Dean said:
I think you have higher expectations of Disney than I do. While I would agree that at times and in many areas, they go above and beyond, I do not find that the case in all areas with DVC. Take the handling of requests. DVC's approach to difficulty fulfilling requests has been essentially take away any meaningful way to make requests and remove any responsibility for the resorts to do so appropriately. What they should have done was tell us all that they would only take reasonable requests, such as smoking/NS, general location, and the like. Instead they let those with the gumption to demand specific rooms or other similar very strict requests, to ruin it for everyone. Same will eventually happen to pool hopping and has to a degree already.

I may have higher expectations because I have had excellent customer service in relation to several years of dealings with Disney. Maybe I have been lucky, but their customer service (which is not the same as giving in to any unreasonable demands - those guests who deliberately disregard reasonable rules about pool hopping, reusing mugs, demanding a specific room, etc. because they hope to take advantage of Disney's tendency to do what they can to please guests is making the situation harder on the rest of us) has always been extraordinary.

That is another facet to my reason for this thread, which is trying to step back and see what other DVC'ers would have done under these circumstances. I certainly did not want to throw and fit and demand a GV or refund of all of my points or anything ridiculous, but did think that some attention to efforts to remedy the problem were needed, and wanted some input from others based on their experiences and common sense.

You mentioned you were disappointed in the CM attiude/lack of concern. Did you speak with the manager about this? Or was the lack of concern from the manager? If the CM was indifferent or didn't appreciate your concern, I would have asked to speak with the manager.

I guess I'm upset by the idea that all over the DVC CMs may be getting training that encourages them to sort guests into classes - first class "paying" customers and second class, what?, non-paying? They didn't give those DVC memberships away. If a corporate culture is allowed to grow where everyone assumes that someone who will pay a small sum tomorrow is more valuable to Disney than someone who paid a huge amount yesterday, all DVC members are in a lot of trouble. What's next, cleaning and refurbishing only the DVC rooms that they can rent to "paying" guests? And we're all supposed to be grateful for anything we get? Please sir, may I have some more? Yikes! That's not what I thought I was buying into.

Just thought of something else - isn't the policy theoretically supposed to be that Disney rents out DVC villas when it looks as though they won't have enough DVC members to fill them? Are they going to gradually change things so that we don't remember that, and get used to a policy whereby Disney rents out as many villas as they can, skimming the best rooms off for nightly paying customers, and then gives DVC the leftovers?

Might work for them in the short-term, but in the long-term I don't think they'd be all that happy to have a huge number of DVC members become disillusioned and dump their memberships on the open market. No matter how much Disney might want the value of their timeshares to stay up there, ROFR won't help them much if the market is flooded with people wanting out.

JerJan said:

Well, I think that my $25,00.00 cash for DVC points and my annual membership fees accounts for me being a "PAYING CUSTOMER!"

Totally agree!!

I would have went to the front desk and ask to speak with a manager and let them know how I felt. I would have asked for reimbursement of the studio portion(points)we spend a lot on our points and maintenance dues and we should be treated just llike the paying customers. If I was not satisified with that result--chain of command--up the ladder I would have went.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter