What's in the Mini Bars

chirurgeon

I am a delicate flower and need my sleep.
in the various deluxe rooms? And just what do they charge? Because sometimes when I get back to the room, I just need a can of pop or maybe a munchie. Since we are flying in and are notorious over packers, (besides, we'll be there the first week in December, you knows what the weather will be like) I don't see us packing things, or even stopping at a store, no way to keep the pop cold.

Thanks,
Kim:smooth: :jester:

If you can purchase what you need from your resort's gift shop or from a vending machine, you will be much better off. I can tell you that it is expensive to have a munchie from a minibar. Not only do you pay a high price for the item, you also have to pay a fee that covers the re-stocking of the item. Ouch! But if you must have that Donald Duck Pez dispenser (I got stuck paying for quite a few of those at the GF thanks to my son, niece, and nephew) or that jar of peanuts (husband still owes me for that one) or that can of pop (for my dear sister), it’s the only way to go. Just remember to not be surprised when you're viewing your room bill upon check-out.

I don't have any photos of what's contained in a WDW minibar, but hopefully someone else does and will post a link.

I just did a quick search of the 'net and found the following minibar prices for the Yacht Club: Disney World "The Online Guide" Website's Minibar Prices.

By the way, they do list one of the best items in the minibar -- the disposable camera. I laughed so hard when I saw that in my YC minibar (and I thought it was an excellent, if not expensive, addition to the minibar).

Obviously it varies here and there. But generally there are a variety of mini-bottles of spirits, gin, vodka, a couple types of rum, scotch, whiskey, bourbon, tequila. There are usually a couple splits of wine (Sutter Home if I recall). A couple bottles of cordials, might have been Tia Maria and Sambuca, but I'm not positive. There are also a few cans of assorted beers. Definitely Bud, and an import, maybe Heineken.

There are also a variety of sodas, all Coke products, Coke, 7-Up, Diet Coke, and I think Ginger Ale. There are a few cans of juice, including orange and V-8. Some parmalat milk.

There are cookies, assorted nuts, candy (Gummi Bears or Jelly Bellies and some sort of chocolate like a Mars bar or M&M's.)

Bottled water of both the fizzy and non-fizzy variety.

Those individual bowls of a couple types of cereal. A trail mix type of thing or raisins.

If applicable the souvenier refillable mugs for your resort. A disposable camera.

Depending on the resort there may or may not be more. The BC seems to have more assortment than the GF. I don't even recall a minibar in my concierge room at the GF, BWI or AKL...maybe they do'nt have them in the concierge rooms?

Remember, anything you take out you are not only charged the applicable charge, but also an 18% service charge, plus tax. So that $2 soda is actually going to cost you about $2.50!

Anne

I ate breakfast out of mine everyday (cereal and milk) in 1996 on Honeymoon at CBR. And DH had several beers. It cost us a total of $90 for the whole week. I wasn't too concerned with that.

Does anyone know why the mini-bars are NOT at the moderates anymore? I miss them.

Angie

$90 for cereal and milk sounds like a lot to me. I can take a whole box of cereal and a gallon of milk (kept cold in a cooler) plus a 6 pack of beer for less than $10.00.

Originally posted by elemusing
I ate breakfast out of mine everyday (cereal and milk) in 1996 on Honeymoon at CBR. And DH had several beers. It cost us a total of $90 for the whole week. I wasn't too concerned with that.

Does anyone know why the mini-bars are NOT at the moderates anymore? I miss them.

Angie

My bet is that they weren't used enough to justify the cost of servicing and maintaining them.

Anne

PS to Tluvs2talk--Where do you find a box of cereal, gallon of milk and six of beer for $10? At my grocery the cereal would about $5, milk almost $3, and a six pack of Molson is over $6!

ducklite, I live in SC. I can buy a gallon of milk for $2.65 a box of cereal for $ 3.00 and a 6 pack of beer for around $4.00. That still leaves me a buck for tax. Even the way you add it up it is only $14.00. That leaves you with a $76.00 profit. But hey to each his own. I think most people realize whar a rip-off the mini bars are and were not using them. I guess that is why thet took them out of moderates. More people on a budget..:D

Originally posted by Tluvs2talk
ducklite, I live in SC. I can buy a gallon of milk for $2.65 a box of cereal for $ 3.00 and a 6 pack of beer for around $4.00. That still leaves me a buck for tax. Even the way you add it up it is only $14.00. That leaves you with a $76.00 profit. But hey to each his own. I think most people realize whar a rip-off the mini bars are and were not using them. I guess that is why thet took them out of moderates. More people on a budget..:D

Wow! Maybe I need to move! Ya'll have some mighty cheap groceries in those parts :D

Even though I generaly stay at a deluxe, I seldom take anything out of the mini-bar. Just too expensive! The last time I can think of touching it was one night when we didn't get in until around 2:00am and after that trip (long story) DH and I needed a drink. It was the only option at the time :)

Anne

We ate more than breakfast - if you will notice I did say that dh drank some beers and also a few candy bars, etc. I do realize that it is expensive, but when I am on vacation, I do not worry about money. We always save until we have enough to go and not worry about stuff like that. Besides, we fly and that is difficult to pack groceries - even with a grocery stop.

My philosophy on vacation is to go at it and have fun. Hey- if you eat out at Disney, it is going to cost you a ton anyway.

I just love the convenience of the mini bar.
Angie

ours was locked with a plastic string thing like tage on stores are attached with. if you break it open, then housekeeping knows to check it for wahtever you consumed. I don't know if they still do it that way or not.

Is a mini bar the same thing as a wet bar? I have seen in hotel room descriptions that some (not Disney) have a wet bar, and I've always wondered if that were the same as a mini bar.

Thanx

Jules

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter