• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's your favourite Disney memory?

About 30 years ago now we went on an extended family trip to Disney World. I think there were about 15 of us. We had done a few group trips before but this one sticks out in my memory.

At Typhoon Lagoon someone talked my aunt into going down Humungakowabunga. I don't know how they did it but she went....and screamed at the top of her lungs the whole way down. Apparently, the cast member at the bottom of the slide said "That was some good screaming, lady!!!"

We still quote that every time we walk past Humongakowabunga.....or even talk about it. No need to be near it.

It was just a few years after that trip we lost my uncle(this particular aunt's husband) and then 5 years after that we lost her.

I always feel close to them when we go back to WDW. They are there, holding hands, walking around the Magic Kingdom.

Somehow managing to get reservations for my family of four for the Disney Dessert Buffet on the Balcony of what was then the Disney Gallery on the second floor of the Pirates of the Caribbean to watch Fantasmic in Disneyland. As I recall there were just 12 of us there. The Disney Gallery is no more, turned into the Disney Dream Suite, so the Disney Dessert Buffet is no longer available.

Oh wow, so many to choose from, some because the situation was good and some because the situation was bad at the time, but became funny afterwards.

For example, the original ride vehicles for Space Mountain at WDW had an open seat that held two people, with a belt that went around both people at the same time. I was riding with my dad and younger sister. They sat in the back car together, and I was placed alone in the car in front. The only problem . . . the CM didn’t tighten the seat belt or ask me to do it either. They just fastened it and off we went. Obviously, that belt didn’t do a thing to hold me in the vehicle and I screamed through the whole ride. Now I laugh about it.

Or there is the one memory I have from our first trip. This was back when they still had ticket books with individual tickets for each ride. We were sitting at a table behind what is now the Christmas Shop in Liberty Square, eating ice cream and relaxing in the sun while Mom and Dad decided what we were riding next. I can see it as clearly as if I were there right now.

Memories of standing outside the turnstiles waiting to enter the park for MVMCP, with the CMs leading us in a round of the Twelve Days Of Christmas . . . the time we booked a standard wing room at the Contemporary and got a complimentary upgrade to a suite . . . the time my mom and I were staying at Wilderness Lodge and the beds were too high for her to climb up into (we laughed so hard!) . . . going to WDW after my grandmother passed away, after my mom passed away, and after my dad passed away (lots of laughs and tears on those trips) . . .

I guess my favorite memory would simply be how I feel when I am there. It’s my happy place whether life is good or bad at the moment. :cloud9:

Our smiling three year old son wearing ears and holding hands with Tigger at MK. The sky was intensely blue and absolutely no one else is in the photo. 33 years ago! Magical!

:tigger:

On my sons first trip for his 2nd birthday. He had seen Daisy at a character line but he wasnt impressed. We sat down and got good seats for the parade and the moment he saw Mickey in the parade he squealed with delight and was beyond shocked, excited and happy. That was the moment my Disney obsession began.

My favorite memory was a crazy show called
Splashtacular at Epcot. It was our very first trip to Disney World and I just couldn’t believe what I was seeing. Years later I found out this was a very short lived show. Lucky me!

I have three - I can't choose, so they're in chronological order. #2 is probably the best but because it's happy/sad the others are in the running as well.
  1. Being at MNSSHP on Halloween night on my first solo trip with my daughter.
  2. Watching Happily Ever After for the first time with tears streaming down my face as my daughter had just come through a serious illlness and looked happy for the first time in a long time.
  3. Celebrating my daughter's 21st birthday with great cast members, first at Geyser Point and then at Cinderella's Royal Table.

Many years ago, I took a woman I was dating to the Magic Kingdom. We live about an hour away and it was, I think, our 4th or 5th date. The weather was a little on the hot side and she wore a sun dress (or whatever they are called). Back then, behind the castle was a splash pad of sorts with a few benches for onlookers, parents, etc.

I think she had to use a restroom and was walking back to me waiting on the bench and 'viola.....a blast of water shot....well......you know. She didn't realize she walked into the water mine field and some guests laughed at her surprised response. I laughed too.

Then came the "speech". She walked us out of the park to where the ferry boat is and proceeded to tell me how I am supposed to support her and not participate in the laughter. We left MK afterwards and I drove her home. If you can't laugh at yourself, then you aren't for me <I was thinking the whole ride>. That was our last date.

Of course, I have so many great memories from our Disney trips, but I think my favorite is when my four year old son met Michaelangelo from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles at Hollywood Studios in 1991. It was our first trip to Disney (we were on the Big Red Boat for four days prior) and we were hooked. I think he was in shock that Michelangelo was shaking his hand. That little guy is now 37 years old and about to become a father for the first time. Time flies, that’s for sure. 😁

Riding Dumbo with my young boys while Wishes started.

My youngest was 14 months old the first time we took him. Watching him absolutely fly into the characters arms for hugs made me tear up every time.

Sitting at Nomad Lounge with a glass of wine and appetizers while the characters float down the river on the boat.

When I went with my Mom in 1997. What a great trip that was! My sister was pregnant at the time so she couldn't go, too. Anyway, my sister gave me a photo of herself and instructed me to put it in my camera bag and take it everywhere we went. My Mom and I had so much fun with that photo-we took it on rides and attractions and got photos of it with food and with obliging cast members and characters and enjoying the sights. We had some hilarious interactions. It was great! And I loved spending all that time with my Mom in a place we both loved.

DW and I went to F&W in October, 2010 on an empty-nester trip. Disney was still recovering from the recession and crowds were very low. Weather was perfect and we had a great time.

There was 1 day at MK when we showed up at 11 and the park closed at 7 and we still did everything we wanted to do. We did Space Mountain walk-on 3 times in a row. At the end we rode Dumbo because we'd done everything we wanted as many times as we wanted and we were out of stuff to do. It was glorious.

Way back in 2005, it was the 50th anniversary of Disneyland, and my son was selected to play that summer in the All-American band. Watching him play that summer in the park was the best.

My youngest was 5 in 2000, and she claims she remembers being chosen to dance with a puppet in the Epcot parade (it was a mom & child puppet). My other favorite is dining at Crystal Palace and getting photos with our favorite Pooh characters. As my Dh is of Norwegian descent, we also enjoyed getting pictures with the troll in the store in Norway every time we went.

So many... Way back in the early 2000's. My son was 6 and daughter 4. They each had their own spending money for souvenirs (from Christmas mainly). Even at 4 years old - my daughter made her choices wisely.

Each time she found something she liked, she would ask "Is that all my money" and we would tell her that it was not all her money and then she would ask "Is it a lot of my money". She did this with each purchase, so she could see if it was worth it or not. She ended up with a Large Stuffed Pooh and Cinderella Jewelry/Music Box, along with a few other things. She still has both of those items in her SAVE box.

More than a few year ago -

The early part of the evening started off with the wife and I, our daughter and her friend having a delightful supper at Boma. Afterwards the girls decided they wanted to spend the evening swimming in the pool. We made sure they had room keys and snack money and the wife and I headed to Epcot. Found a spot to view Illuminations just past the American Gardens theater. We proceeded to enjoy watching the Beach Boys play a set in the venue and then watch Fireworks 15 minutes later.

In many places you would be hard pressed to do ANY of these and we did all within four hours or so, didn't have to drive or worry about parking and were completely relaxed the whole time.

Hard to pinpoint. I have wonderful memories of first visiting as a child and being both awestruck and as if I was somehow familiar and entirely at home. Had a fantastic visit with DH and I early in our marriage where we burned the candle at both ends for a full week and had a fabulous time. We made precious memories with our oldest daughter on her first visit as a toddler. Then we have spectacular memories of visiting with both daughters as older children to WDW and DLR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter