Wheelchair request in the resort

Joeblack

Proud DVC Member
Can anyone tell me if I can request a wheelchair for my 85 year old grandma upon check-in at the Wilderness lodge Villas? If not, where can I do so?

Thanks

Yes, each resort has a number of wheelchairs available, for free, for any of their guests. They are first come, first served (can't reserve ahead of time) but we haven't had a problem getting them (although we go in the offseason). You can keep the chair for your entire stay, which saves on renting at the parks.

If the resort is out of chairs, (1) keep checking with them, as another may show, (2) they are available for rent at each theme park, but only for use at the park (but if you park-hop you can get a chair at the second park for free--only one rental to pay for per day), and (3) there are a number of services in the phone book who will deliver a rental chair to you if necessary.

I have not needed, but I expect that guest services at Downtown Disney may have chairs for use while shopping there as well.

Good luck, I'm sure grandma will have lots of fun.

hi: you may want to see if ms can make a note on your confirmation that you are requesting a wheelchair. we were able to get one for my mom at bwv without a problem; just a short wait of about 15 minutes.

Some people have also reported that the wheelchair that was available was not one they could use - like an extra wide wheelchair, when they needed a regular one or vise versa.
The places that DIS posters have reported renting from:
Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/

Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

RANDY'S Mobility is in Kissimmee 407-892-4777
http://randysmobility.com/

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html

And here's a link to the DIS page about traveling with a mobility disability. It includes information about renting a wheelchair at the parks and also lists the rides where someone can stay in a wheelchair for the ride/show.

you can click on the link in my signature to get to the disABILTIES Board if you think of more questions about wheelchair travel.

I got one at OKW for my 84 yr old mother. It was quite helpful since it was difficult for her to walk the distances around the parks. They will put a large deposit on your credit card when you take the chair and remove it when you return the chair.

Most people have reported that they were not able to reserve a wheelchair ahead of time - so you probably won't knnow until you get there whether they have one at the resorts that you can use or not.
You can try calling WDW RESORTS/SPECIAL RESERVATIONS
(407) 939-7807 [voice]
(407) 939-7670 [TTY]

This is the phone number to call for wheelchair accessible rooms, equipment, etc. A number of people who worked thru them have reported they could not guarantee a wheelchair would be available thru the resort; only guaranteed if they helped arrange a rental thru one of the loacl medical equipment vendors.

Some people take along the contact numbers for the local equipment dealers. That way if they can't get one thru the resort, they have an alternative besides the parks.

Thanks to you all fellow DISers. I hope we can get one for grandma. She had a stoke a few years back and cannot walk easily.

I will report back upon our return.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter