When do you buy airfare for Thanksgiving?

kbeverina

DIS Veteran
We've never traveled at Thanksgiving so I'm unsure about the best time to buy airfare. I imagine if I wait the rates will get better, but will I have a hard time getting non-stop flights? Or any flights at all, for that matter?

Any advice appreciated.

On some routings the lowest cost seats for the best flights for Thanksgiving week, notably nonstops Sunday evening after, are gone 331 days in advance. Saturday night is more popular than Sunday morning for post Thanksgiving return flights to the eastern half of the U.S. at least.

For a week or two therafter you can get seats in the next fare tier (about $50. more) on good non-stops or at the lowest fare on connecting flights.

Thanksgiving is an exception to the rule of waiting for a fare war instead of buying at their everyday low price.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

We're flying out of BWI the Friday before Thanksgiving and returning black friday. We bit the bullet and have two sets of ressies. One through DTC with refundable bulk air on USAir that we didn't have to pay for yet ($1,000 for 4). This assures us a seat (already have seat assignments). When I check sites like Orbitz, the exact same seats are a total of about $200 less. I'm still waiting for Southwest to come out with their schedule since they are one of the few carriers from BWI with direct flights. If I'm unsuccessful, I'll hopefully still be able to book the USAir flight directly and save $200. I'm not hoping to get a great fare like I've been seeing lately on the boards. If we do, it's great!

I've already noticed on several sites that the Saturday after Thanksgiving is a blackout date. Maybe you can be flexible with your dates. Where are you flying out of? Maybe you could check another nearby airport. Good luck! Feel free to e-mail me and we can compare notes.

We try and snag them as soon as they come out. Depending upon your travel date, the rates may never drop!

Thanks for the replies! We could fly out of Dulles, National or BWI. We're leaving Tuesday before Thanksgiving and coming back Sunday after. I think because it's such a short trip I'm more interested in non-stop flights at the times I want them than the absolute lowest fare. So I guess I'll snag them when I see what I want. Orbitz has them at $168, but the return flight is connecting and earlier than what I want.

I'll bump this thread if I find anything good. Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter