When to apply for SSI?

daughtersrus

DIS Veteran
My DD is severely disabled. She is 16yo now but doesn't not qualify for SSI because of parental income/assets.

I was told that she should qualify once she turns 18yo but I'm not sure when we start the process. We already have a Special Needs Trust set up.

When she's approved for SSI, will she also get Medicaid?

Can anyone give me an idea as to how much the monthly average is?

I know that it's a few years away but I'm not sure how far in advance to start the process.

Thanks!

We get about 650 a month for DS. Did paperwork just before he turned 18. [Local office has a tendancy to 'lose' things.]

Once your daughter turns 18 she is considered an adult and your income doesn't matter. I would tell Social Security about the Special Needs Trust when you apply.

Do all the paperwork now. About 6 months before her 18th birthday turn it into the SSI office. Once she turns 18 she is eligable. It has nothing to do with your income. If they were to consider our income my son would never have a prayer. MY DS is 23 now so our insurance doen't want to cover him. We use the SSI to cover his living expenses. Also make sure you apply for medicaid for when she is ready to graduated from High School. I volunteer at an educational advocacy center in NH. So I can only give general help. But feel free to pm me and I will advise where I can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter