When to tell the children?

I'm going to print out these suggestions to send to my daughter--
We've been wondering when to tell Andrew--He'll be 3 in March, and 3-1/2 when we go in November.... I want to tell him ASAP, of course---I am so excited! My birthday presents for him have a Disney theme (Woody rolling suitcase, Mickey sing-a-long tape, etc.), and I think that would be the perfect time, but maybe that idea of a 100 day poster would be a good way to give him the time prospective.........(I don't want to leave out Cathryn--but she's only 7 mos. now)

KathleenFl,

Another suggestion for a Disney birthday gift would be Disney Dollars. We gave them to our DD when she was little and she loved them.

Verandah Man :wave:

We did it. We made our countdown chart today. It made for a really good rainy day activity. Also, Papa(grandpa) was leaving today. So this was a good thing to keep DS mind off of that. I have NO idea how to post a picture here. Not that computer literate!!

Liked the other pictures above. VERY good ideas for us to do later on also!!

:)

our kids have been in on the planning from when ever we make the ressies.....we all enjoy the planning and anticipation....it is a family event.....

Except we are surprising them with a Disney Cruise in just 12 days.....Hope to get away with telling them after we get in the car...

goofygal1975,

Glad to hear you were able to make your countdown poster!!!;)

zurgswife,

I hope you are able to get to Florida!;)

Originally posted by goofygal1975
Another vote for telling them. My son is 7 now and for the past few years, I've always told him about our upcoming trips. We palnned our upcoming trip this June for his 8th bday last SEPTEMBER!!!! AND in Jan we started planning out Disney Cruise for May 2004!! I like to be able to share the excitement with him and planning what we want to do. He loves having the input.

I have read some posts, where parents don't tell the kids until they are on the plane, or even pulling up to WDW!! How I sometimes wish I had the will power to do that!! HAHAHA!! But It is so much fun to watch them being excited over the trip, saving money for souvineers.

BTW I love that chart up above!! We have 114 days till our June trip....I am just going to have to make something along those lines for my son!! :-) Thanks for sharing it!!:bounce: :Pinkbounc

:wave:goofygal1975,

I just saw the poster your son has for his countdown trip to WDW, good job!!!

129Countdown_to_Disney_6-03_0216-med.JPG

Originally posted by Verandah Man
:wave:goofygal1975,

I just saw the poster your son has for his countdown trip to WDW, good job!!!

129Countdown_to_Disney_6-03_0216-med.JPG

Thanks for posting this for me!!!! We are having such a great time with this countdown poster, and anyone who has come into our house, or just to our door...(the pizza man and tupperware lady) has thought this was just too cute!! Of course this IS posted right on the inside of our front door!!

Thanks again, Verandah Man !!

:bounce: :Pinkbounc

It was my pleasure!!! You see, I'm still just a BIG KID at heart!!!;)

In the past we have made a chain using rings made from strips of construction paper. We start 2 weeks before we leave and make a chain of 14 links. Each day the kids tore one link and removed it. It was neat watching the chain get shorter as our trip got closer. Now that I've seen all these great countdown posters I really want to do that in addition to the traditonal chain. Thanks to everyone who posted pictures. This is yet another fantastic idea I would not have thought of had I not joined this wonderful website!!!:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

That's what we are here for to help one another. I have gotten so much support from the Community Board with my DW in the hospital. There are such a GREAT BUNCH of people on the DISboards!!! You Guys Rock!!!

My son is almost 5, He knows we are going for Halloween!! I think I am having a harder time than he is!!!! When we get to 30 days out I am going to 30 Disney dollars and give him one every for chores or for just being nice to little sis. I reallyn like that Mad Mickey Money box. We might do that also!!!

Toooooo many days to go!!

Well, dh and I told our dd's last night. Our 9 yr old thought we were going in April but was still thrilled about August.

We watched the Disney planning video and are still trying to decide between Animal Kingdom Lodge and Wilderness Lodge.

Thanks for all the adivce.

My mother always told me that one of the most exciting things about vacation is the anticipation preceeding it. That has always stuck with me. My 2 and 5 years old DD's are well aware of our upcoming trip to WDW in Jan. 2004!! Not sure about their concept of time, but they know we're going!

Hey Vman, great idea about the countdown poster! I think 100 days out is a great time to raise the level of excitement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter