Where is the Disney Resort at HH and what does that mean?

emma'smom

<font color=magenta>P.S. Who would serve turnips a
We're headed to HH next week and we've never been there before (at all...Disney's resort or elsewhere). One of our neighbors asked us where we were staying in HH (the geographical location, not the resort) and I had no idea. I really am clueless..I guess there are different areas of the island that each have a different feel?

So, what am I getting into?

The Disney resort is in Shelter Cove. It is a central location on the island, just across from the Palmetto Dunes area. Yes, there are different areas on the island and each of them are special in their own way, but I don't think any one area is any better than any others. Shelter Cove has some nice shops and restaurants and the Disney resort is wonderfully themed. You should have no worries!

One thing to keep in mind, if you are driving take Exit 8 off of I-95. The other exits lead to a toll road. Exit 8 takes you onto the island without any tolls and is a very direct, easy route.

Have fun!

Also, you should know if you don't already that Shelter Cove is not ocean front, so the beach will be about a mile away. The resort itself is on a small island next to Shelter Cove, and backs up to the marsh and the - hmm, what's that body of water officially called? The IntraCoastal Waterway?? Anyway, you can see some body of water that's not the ocean!!! The Beach House is across the street on the ocean. You can walk, bike, drive or take a shuttle. If you walk or bike, there is a passageway under the main highway so you don't have to get in that traffic. The Beach House is great - a snack bar, a pool, and some inside air-conditioned space, plus the beach is right there. We love HH and hope you will too!!

Like you, we didn't have a clue and had never been to Hilton Head when we went there a few weeks ago. You'll love the resort and it was fun discovering a place we'd never seen before.
John

We never thought about vacationing at HHI before Disney. We found that we love the Disney resort and HHI.

Just be sure to get your bearings with a map before you attempt to drive around at night. The signage is lit at a low level.

If you will have a car...

We love Disney's Hilton Head Resort. The marsh/fish camp theme is wonderful. I like it much better than if it were right on the beach, and you have the beach too - even though its about a mile away.

Savannah, GA is only about 40 minutes away and makes a wonderful day trip. Very romantic.

Yes...I knew it wasn't right on the Ocean...I think the Beach House sounds fun.We'll have car...is it better to take the shuttle or just drive to the Beach House?

We plan to go to Savannah before we start our HH vacation. We're coming from OH, so it will be a bit further..but we want to try the Sunday Brunch at the Lady and Sons and I hear you have to line up early to get your name on the list.

Then we'll spend the week relaxing on HH!

It's been a couple of years since we've been there (we own at HH but lately seem to be doing WDW more) but the parking at the beach house filled up quickly. So, while we preferred to drive, unless you get there before 10am you may not find parking. Between 10am and 4pm the lot was full.

Of course, this will vary depending on the season and occupancy.

Jim

I was just at Lady and Sons in May We went on a Monday arrived at 9:30 got a resvers for 1:45 they only had that time or before 12 Met Jamie and Bobby. They were sigining their book also during photos nice guys

Yes...I knew it wasn't right on the Ocean...I think the Beach House sounds fun.We'll have car...is it better to take the shuttle or just drive to the Beach House?

The resort offers length-of-stay bike rentals. We do this every trip and leave our car at the resort as much as possible. The bike ride to the Beach House is nice takes about 15 minutes. The whole island is fairly flat and there are bike paths/lanes everywhere. If you don't want to do the bike thing then I'd suggest taking the shuttle when possible because of the parking issues mentioned above. During the low season it isn't an issue but in the summer it can be a problem.

A couple of other tips...Try Signe's for breakfast one day. They make great baked goods and you can sit outside on their patio. We also like Aunt Chilada's for Mexican food, The Salty Dog Cafe for waterfront, casual dining and Sticky Fingers for barbecue. Also, get a dining guide from the front desk. Several restaurants offer early-bird specials and/or DVC discounts.

These are great tips...especially the restaurant suggestions! NYMETS, what was on the buffet menu? I called to find out about when to line up and they suggested about 8 am. So...I'll be there...waiting!!

Another tip: HH has very strict codes for how high buildings can be, what color, how and where signs can go, etc etc

So when you are looking for the resort, it will be to your right as you are going down the highway. And it is right past a canal/water inlet that comes up to the road. And it will be the one with the red roof. Disney had to get special permission to have a red roof.

The signature pics and other pics of HH will be so much easier to understand once you've been there!

Enjoy. It is the best place in the world to relax, IMO!:banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter