where to donate wheelchair, etc?

PatMcDuck

DIS Veteran
Help. Does anynoe here know where to donate used items like a transport chair (wheelchair without the big side wheels), a 9 foot aluminum ramp, etc? I can't seem to figure it out on the internet. Is there a group that does this, like Elks, Lions, etc?

My daughter is now out of her wheelchair, after big hip and knee surgeries. And I just got my son a new Convaid Scout chair on Ebay. I am buried in "stuff" that could be very useful to someone. I guess I could try Craigs List, too.

Thanks!

the Muscular Dystrophy Association takes donations. They have a loan closet where people can borrow things to try or if something breaks. Go to mda.org and find your local chapter.

I'm glad some other posters had ideas. We donated all DD's old equipment someplace a few years ago, but I can't remember where. It really felt good to get rid of it in a way that would benefit other people.

A friend of mine works for a family business that makes prosthetics and provides other medical equipment.

She took all of my extra stuff (couple of wheelchairs, bathseat, portable potty, etc.) after my mother died. They often have clients who cannot afford these things, and she knew they would be put to good use.

Elks have nurses who will be happy to pass them on, also you could look on web for Joni and Friends, they refurb chairs and pass them on. Karen

I'm going the the UMDF conference in a week and a half. Someone on the mito list was asking about Kangaroo Pet pumps. I think I'm going to take a pump and bags and give them to people there. There are always people who have poor DME insurance who can use these types of things.

I bet the Elks or Lions could help you out.

As a side note..... I am the co-founder and president of B.I.G. Dreams Foundation. We advocate for recreational equipment and activities in our area. One thing that has been lacking is a equipment exchange program.

Just last month I was able to get the first local equipment recycling program underway. We will take used equipment, clean it up, compile an inventory list.... then pass it on to other families.

I've already given out two pieces of equipment!

I donated the oversupply of diabetes testing stuff to a man at the mission. A lady at my church took my stuff and gave it to needy people she knew. All that is left is the hospital bed which is missing a bar so only one end goes up. Anyone in Los Angeles can have it and a potty chair in the garage not sure about that item as I had three of them once lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter