Where to live in the Orlando area???

cruise-o-matic

DVC..............Wannabe, DVC..............Gonna
Are there any Orlando area experts?

If one were to move to Orlando, what area offers the best combination of schools (top priority), housing costs, property taxes, convenience, etc?

BTW, why is all the population seem to be on the East Side of WDW and not much development to the West?

cruise-o-matic said:
BTW, why is all the population seem to be on the East Side of WDW and not much development to the West?

Because there's NOTHING OUT THERE!!!! Cows, strawberries, oranges and road construction... that's it.

(Can you tell that I am EAST of Orlando... East coast is WONDERFUL!!!)

Flordia traditionally develops along the coasts. Orlando is kind of the exception to the rule since it's "in the middle". The East Coast development has spread over to Orlando but you'll see that there's lots being built out toward the West now. Of course, I'm not sure what's going to happen to the ranches and orange groves.

I'll defer to the locals and other experts to give advice on areas. Celebration and Bay Hill are two areas I've always liked.

We lived in Florida for a long time. We were in Jacksonville, dh's hometown. He has several family members north of Orlando, in Winter Park. It is a beautiful older area, but kinda pricey for Florida. The schools are highly rated, but they homeschool (and we just started doing that too, long story.) I am not sure about the schools where you live, but one thing about Florida you must understand is that they have COUNTY school systems. They are HUGE!! When we lived in Jacksonville it was all about WHERE you lived in Jacksonville. If you looked at the county school stats you would run screaming, but if you looked at individual schools many were good and some were excellent. You HAVE to look at individual schools. People up here just don't get that. Our little burb has 2 seperate school district. They are SMALL and only include people in our socio-ecomonic strata...KWIM???? We would love to move to central Florida, but I think we have decided homeschooling is best for our family. If you want new construction, and lots of people do, it is harder to pick based on schools because new schools are being built all the time and there is no real track record to look at. Just don't believe "ALL the schools in Florida are bad." We hear that all the time. Check it out and compare for yourself. Most county school systems have good web-sites now adays. Good luck.....I am so jealous!!!

BTW, The Orlando area consists of I think 3 seperate counties. I would start by comparing the school districts, taxes, ect. of the 3 counties and then go from there. Another biggy, where will you or your spouse be working! We moved here 5 years ago and based our decision on housing primarily on schools. Dh has a nightmare commute. Not the best decision we have ever made :sad2:

Where thinking about 3-4 years out, once DW gets her MBA.

Schools in NC are just the same. We moved across town to be in our school district as a backup in case DD didn't get into a magnet school program. My Sis's family did the same thing in Charlotte too.

DD wants to move to Orlando and wants to look at houses while we're there in December. I wonder who put that thought in her head......:rolleyes:

I would suggest that many of Florida's school systems are poor, based only on two things. 1--some school districts do standardized testing on their students EVERY SIX WEEKS. If you find a school who tests more often than once or twice per year, avoid that school. they are robbing their children of valuable instructional time, and wasting a huge amount of taxpayer money each year(testing is expensive!) 2--Check the buildings. If most of the buildings are composed of portables, go to a different school system. Portables cannot effectively safeguard the children within them, in case of severe weather or dangerous people. :sad2:

1) Our home is West of Orlando.
2) We are about 15-minutes from WDW in Polk County.
3) The area IS growing.
4) Eventually it will be overpopulated with stores and malls.
5) But right now, prices are VERY reasonable!

TheRustyScupper said:
1) Our home is West of Orlando.
2) We are about 15-minutes from WDW in Polk County.
3) The area IS growing.
4) Eventually it will be overpopulated with stores and malls.
5) But right now, prices are VERY reasonable!

We drove from MN last XMAS and through the west side of WDW and it looked like a lot of nice communities near the orange grove more for retirement age. How much is a new 3BR home over there?

cruise-o-matic said:

On a hunch, I'd say at least some of the development may be to the east because of the airport. Also, some of the prime attractions are all that-away: Universal, Sea World, and Cape Canaveral (which also has a bustling port area). Not to mention downtown Orlando.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter