• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where To Stay For Our First DL Trip

A few of you have mentioned the Desert Inn(and their indoor pool), but the OP is talking about the Desert Palms Inn, which is a few steps away(just around the corner) from the Candy Cane Inn, on Katella. We stayed at the Desert Palms Inn & Suites at the end of August this year and I highly recommend it! We had a newly refurbished room which was very clean and had a fridge, microwave and coffee maker...the free breakfast was awesome and more that adequate, and the pool was outdoors and salt water. Also, the hallways are indoors! I'd stay there again for sure!

Last edited:
As a WDW vet and now a DL vet, I can say that the "bubble" you feel in Florida doesn't exist at DL. At least, as far as I can tell. I've stayed at PPH and DLH. I never got that full immersion, full magic feeling I get at staying at a Moderate at WDW. I have some friends that say staying at the Grand Cali does give you the immersion feeling because of the closeness and the lobby, but I've never been willing to drop that kind of cash to find out. For that kind of money, I'll just fly back to FL and stay at WDW.

Hot dog! I try not to have too many credit cards but that sounds like one worth having in my wallet.

And the points.... our hotel stay is pretty much additional cost to us (staying onsite) every trip due to the points alone.

Since it's our first time there, do we stay at the Disneyland Hotel and be immersed in the "Disney bubble" while at the same time hoping for a room discount? Or is an off-site place like the ones above just as good?
They are very different. We stay at different place depending on what we want.

If we want "free" breakfast with our room and don't want to pay through the nose for parking at our hotel, we will stay off site. If we want quiet, we stay off site. if we know we are only going to use the room to shower and sleep, we stay off site.

If we want convenience of going to and from the hotel easily throughout the day and want early entry to DCA, we will stay onsite. I actually stay at the grand over DLH. It's closer and easier to get to room throughout the day. On site hotels are more noisy until 10pm. Everything is overpriced. Room service is overpriced. Parking is overpriced. Getting breakfast at the hotel is overpriced. It's just a very expensive stay over and above the cost of the room. Any bar or restaurant that you walk to will be busy most of the time.

My booking was for March, so not sure if it will apply to the Summer.
Would love more info on how you got the DLH discount for March! We're looking to go in late Jan/early Feb and I've been watching for a discount to come out. I have the Disney Visa and haven't seen anything yet though.

Would love more info on how you got the DLH discount for March! We're looking to go in late Jan/early Feb and I've been watching for a discount to come out. I have the Disney Visa and haven't seen anything yet though.
CM on the phone offered it up while I was booking. It sadly did NOT apply to the Adventureland Suite night though. All told, I saved about $500 on a 3-night stay.

CM on the phone offered it up while I was booking. It sadly did NOT apply to the Adventureland Suite night though. All told, I saved about $500 on a 3-night stay.
Thank you! Called yesterday and booked our room for January with 25% off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter