Where to stay in NYC?

Busy Busy

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone, this isn't exactly Disney related - but people on here have so much info to share!

We are off to WDW in September and are planning 5 nights in New York on the way.

We have been before (with and without kids) and stayed in midtown. I was wondering if anybody felt like recommending any hotels. I keep going back to look at the same ones online and I'm ready for some new ideas!!

Kids will be DS13 and DD7.

Thanks! :goodvibes

Well - I don't know if you have a particular interest that would lead you to stay in one area over another - and I don't know what your budget is.
There is an interesting boutique chain with The Library, The Giraffe and Elysee Hotel and Casablanca Hotel.

I wasn't very specific was I?!

We would prefer the midtown area, and are looking to pay $2,000 - $2,500 maximum for the 5 nights - ouch, huh?! :eek:

Considering WDW is costing not much more than that for 12 nights with free dining & park hopper tickets - you can see why I am having trouble getting in the mood to work out the New York part of our holiday!

Many years ago, I stayed at a hotel on 33rd or 35th Street. I wish I had remembered the name of it...because it was perfectly located in the mid-town area.

I think the Giraffe might be in the midtown area. From memory the boutique chain that Sugarglider has suggested is wonderful!! ...but I think it caters for the couples market.

If you are thinking about venturing out of midtown, can I recommend the DoubleTree in TimeSquare? I think it was perfectly located and offered 1 bedroom suites. The sofa in the living room converted to a double bed; and the bedroom had two doubles in it. The room has a mini kitchenette...micro, toaster, sink (and dishwasher?). I think AussieTravellers also recently stayed at the DoubleTree and her trip report includes some pictures of the DoubleTree.

At least food can be cheaper in New York.

Busy,

We stayed at The Muse (Part of the Kimpton chain of hotels) which is just off Times Square. It is far enough back and in a smaller side street that it is in a very quiet street. The rooms were larger than your normal NY room.

Its no more than 100 metres from the middle of Times Square. The facilities are very modern and nice with free coffee etc in the morning and a free cocktail hour at night.

The staff were very friendly and helpful.

We just stayed at the Doubletree Guest Suites in Times Square and it was fantastic. Very central location for walking and getting everywhere, the hotel was nice and clean and being suites the rooms are huge! There are pictures of our room in my trip report, the link is in my signature below.

Stayed at Comfort Inn Central Park West (Upper West Side) for $100 low season per night last year. Rooms are Tiny and I mean tiny but that is NYC. Great location, 2 minute walk to Central Park but more importantly 5 minute walk to Greys Papaya HotDogs! They are good, Turkey Leg Disney good! :goodvibes

Hi we stayed at the Eastgate Tower in Murray Hill (Midtown) it was a few blocks from Grand Central station. It was not modern, but was clean and the rooms were huge. My friend had a studio and it was huge. Definately big enough for four. The kitchen is handy too, we used it for breakfasts, etc. Good luck.

Hi,
$2000-2,500 for 5 nights?? I let you stay at my house for that amount!;) Will you have a car?? Do You Insist in staying in midtown?? I live in brooklyn,Nyc its about a 20 minute drive to Manhattan. I can recommond a hotel here in Brooklyn for about $179 a night. It would save you a ton of cash. Its in the middle of bay ridge, lots of resturants, bars, bakerys in walking distance. Also the " R" train is just blocks away if you want to take the train to attractions to Midtown. Just a thought. Pm me for info.

Hi,

We stayed at the Beacon Hotel (Upper West Side), our room had a separate bedroom (two double beds), kitchenette and double fold out sofa. This was $320 US a night.

I think you will be able to do better, can an eye on expedia, especially for specials. I did a search every night for our pre-Disney Hotel in Orlando, getting a great deal on a promotion that lasted for 24 hours.

Email this lady irina.lysenko01@gmail.com. We did a vacation rental with them and it was fantastic.

Not a Hotel but well priced, great location (about 10 min walk to Times Square) close to heaps of good restaurants and Irina was very pleasant to deal with.

We are going to New York in August/September. I just booked the Metro Hotel. I got a 2 bedroom for about $2700 for 7 nights (3Adults) - this also includes breakfast.

I have previously stayed at the Radio City Apartments and they were good - but the 2 bedroom won me over this time.

I have booked Radio City for our September trip. 4 nights is $1410, for a one bedroom apartment.

Looking into hotels for our stay in NY gave me the biggest headache...but then I had to fit 5 in a room. We stayed at the Novotel which was quite convenient and relatively quiet considering it is so close to Times Square. I stalked the accor site and pounced when they had a crazy rate of $282 per night. Considering this was over the Christmas period, I was ecstatic.

With your budget, I'd imagine you'd have more choice? Do you have any other criteria/wishes/needs?

Jade,

What dates in sept will you be at Radio City - we are there 4 nights from 2nd Oct.

Jade,

What dates in sept will you be at Radio City - we are there 4 nights from 2nd Oct.

From memory about the 14th of September. I wanted to wait until after the 10th anniversary of September 11.

I will let you know what we think of it.

It looks like we will stay at Radio City Apartments too!! From about the 16th of September 2011.

I loved all of the suggestions on this thread, and finding out about Radio City has been fantastic. We stayed at the DoubleTree when we were in NYC in October 2009, and the prices to stay there this time were CRAZY :scared1:

With 2 kids it was great to have the separate bedroom, it meant that they could go to bed and we could get things ready for the next day, watch Conan and email home (something that I did every night for 4 weeks!!!).

So thankyou for the tips - it's funny, I can cope with 12 nights at POR all in the same room, but all cooped up in 1 room in NYC scares me!! My husband is also VERY pleased about Radio City, it will be about $1200 cheaper than staying at the DoubleTree again....and that kind of money can buy all sorts of pretty things at Tiffany!!! :yay:

I was just coming in to recommend Radio City Apartments, but looks like you've already discovered it!

We really enjoyed our stay there. While not the most modern of hotels, it's in a great location, the rooms are nice and big and it was great having a kitchen (even though they don't have a toaster or kettle!).

We have stayed at RadioCity Apartments twice due to its great location.

We discovered that you use the oven as a grill for a toaster and I think we took our own travel kettle with us as in the US they only have coffee makers.

When cooking or making toast the fire alarm would go off constantly. One of us had to stay under the smoke detector and wave a towel under it to stop the alarm going off. It went off without our food burning!

Great location! :goodvibes

Oh yeah, we set the smoke alarms off every day! :lmao: We also overflowed the toilet twice! Still loved it though!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter