Where to stay?

Rippleglrl

Earning My Ears
I am considering renting points from a company for our upcoming nov disney vacation, but have never done it before. It will be me, my husband, daughter (4) and son (1). We are looking at staying for four nights Nov 6-10 but are not sure where to request or how likely things are available. I would like to keep it under 75 points if possible. We are only going to visit AK and MK this trip. Where would you recommend for us to stay??? Thank you in advance for your help!!!

On those dates, there is no 1 bedroom you can get for 75 points or less at a DVC resort.

However, there is a studio at every DVC resort you can get for 75 pts or less.

So, every resort is possible in a studio.

A studio is very similar to a regular hotel room. So you will not have a lot of extra room.

I would seriously consider a savanna view Animal kingdom lodge studio for those dates. It would be 68 points. With the age of your kids, I think they would really enjoy the theming and animal views this would provide. Given you want to go to AK, it tells me they have some interest in the animals.

The bus ride to MK will be long. However, the rest will be great IMO.

A studio is very similar to a regular hotel room. So you will not have a lot of extra room.

Except that instead of two beds you will have one bed and one pull out sofa, unless you stay at OKW which will give you two beds.

It depends on what you are looking for. If size of room and two beds in a studio is important, than yes OKW would work great for you.

Please let us know what you are looking for. What is important...size of room? size of resort? pool? quick service dining? table service dining? busing or will you have a car? close to any particular park? certain room view?

Once we know some of these things we can suggest something that will fit the bill. However as already stated a studio is just about all you could get for 75 points.

It depends on what you are looking for. If size of room and two beds in a studio is important, than yes OKW would work great for you. Please let us know what you are looking for. What is important...size of room? size of resort? pool? quick service dining? table service dining? busing or will you have a car? close to any particular park? certain room view? Once we know some of these things we can suggest something that will fit the bill. However as already stated a studio is just about all you could get for 75 points.

Room size is not so important as long as we all have a place to crash. The size of the resort is also not so important but I don't want to walk miles to get to my room! I won't have dining this trip, we will probably do OOP for a few table meals. We will be renting a car and visiting MK and AK, as well as Sea World and Aquatica- the kids love the water so a nice pool would be great, but since it's only 4 nights and with all the parks we might not have time for that much resort time. I am looking for that "disney feeling" for my little ones- we stayed at POP last time and while I liked the theming, I would prefer better accommodations. We will probably drive to the parks because I can't stand the bus at the end of the day with screaming children (mine)! I was thinking a studio might be a better set up while saving some money. I am between staying DVC or off- property. Thank you so much!!

Room size is not so important as long as we all have a place to crash. The size of the resort is also not so important but I don't want to walk miles to get to my room!

old key west is a condo-style resort, so you'd likely be parking right outside your building. no long walks.

I am looking for that "disney feeling" for my little ones- we stayed at POP last time and while I liked the theming, I would prefer better accommodations.

OKW definitely has better accommodations but it's more of a quiet resort without the "loud" theming of the value resorts.

the animal kingdom villas might be closer to what you are looking for from a theming perspective (or maybe villas at the wilderness lodge would be a good choice as it is a boat ride from the MK) but none of the deluxes have theming that's very similar to POP, IMO.

I personally am not fond of OKW because they don't have interior elevators in most of the buildings and I don't enjoy carrying my stroller and pre-schooler up and down the stairs. I personally think it is a better choice for people with older children.

Driving to MK only helps so much. The parking lot for MK is at the TTC and you would still need to take the monorail or boat to get there.

AKV is far from MK, but has some of the nicest pools on property. I actually prefer staying standard view and overlooking the pool. >>; You can see the animals from the lobby, and I prefer to save the points. It also has good availability usually which is another plus.

but none of the deluxes have theming that's very similar to POP, IMO.

Agreed, the value resorts have a totally different feel to them as far as theme goes. The theming in the deluxes have an upscale feel to them. You won't find any big icons in your face at the deluxes.

I would also recommend AKV. We absolutely love that resort. With renting DVC there are two buildings for this resort.

Jambo is the main building with a major lobby, huge store, quick service dining as well as table service. Parking is not close to the building. If you take a bus you are second on the pick up route. There is a big pool with a lot of chairs. DVC rooms are on the 5th and 6th floors. All other floors are for the regular hotel rooms.

Kidani is a DVC dedicated building. There are no hotel rooms in this building only DVC. Kidani has a quaint lobby and small store. There is no quick service dining and one table service (one of the best on property). Parking is covered parking right next to the building. If you take a bus to AK or MK you will be the first bus stop of the two buildings. In our opinion, though Jambo has a bigger pool, Kidani has a better pool with a funner slide and an outstanding kids play/splash area.

Both buildings have savannah and standards rooms. Both have animal lookout areas (with night vision goggles for the evening). Both buildings will cost the same number of points.

Room size is not so important as long as we all have a place to crash. The size of the resort is also not so important but I don't want to walk miles to get to my room! I won't have dining this trip, we will probably do OOP for a few table meals. We will be renting a car and visiting MK and AK, as well as Sea World and Aquatica- the kids love the water so a nice pool would be great, but since it's only 4 nights and with all the parks we might not have time for that much resort time. I am looking for that "disney feeling" for my little ones- we stayed at POP last time and while I liked the theming, I would prefer better accommodations. We will probably drive to the parks because I can't stand the bus at the end of the day with screaming children (mine)! I was thinking a studio might be a better set up while saving some money. I am between staying DVC or off- property. Thank you so much!!

With only 4 days and young children I would recommend not trying to cram to much in. I would definitely look at resort where you can have down time and pool time. Beach Club is an obvious choice with pool and sand for the kids. If you have Park hoppers even though you don't mention visiting EPCOT, a walk with strollers around the Countries can be relaxing. Bay Lake (smallest studio) has the best convenience for MK with little ones, being able to walk to MK and a quick stroll back for naps. Animal Kingdom (I prefer Jambo) with Savannah view and large pool. I think Quick Service Food options are important so Kidani Village is not an option (though a walk to the kid pool may be needed).

In regards to the bus and screaming kids, while it can occur on any bus, seems to happen more at Value resort busses since there are more young families staying there. When staying at Boardwalk and beach Club as well as most villas busses do not seem to be packed with screamers as often.

Just checked and a savannah view at AKV would be 68 points for Nov. 6 - Nov. 10. For a standard view it would be 52 points, but if you don't mind spending the money on more points, a savannah view would be the way to go.

OKW would only be 48 points for a studio, so a lot less points, but I'm not sure it is what you're looking for.

Seems like AKV would be the way to go for my family- given that my daughter loves AK and the theming has that Disney feel I think we're looking for. We are only planning AK and MK because we were just recently at Disney so this will be our short trip and not our "do it all" trip. I have annual passes at Sesame place so we are planning on spending a day at sea world/Aquatica again because it's free. :) Is the Savannah view worth the extra points and are the animals always visible? Does this scare any little ones?

Oh and one more question, if you don't mind (you've all been so helpful!!!) when do I need to book and how is availability for AKV at that time?

In our opinion, we wouldn't stay at AKV without a savannah view. It is what makes that resort so unique. The animals our free to roam so whether you will see animals from the view of your room at all times is not guaranteed but very likely. There are also the common viewing areas at both Kidani and Jambo. I'm not sure what your family would consider scary, but here is one picture from our room:

Oh and one more question, if you don't mind (you've all been so helpful!!!) when do I need to book and how is availability for AKV at that time?

There are fewer rooms at Jambo than at Kidani. So the time of booking would depend on if a particular building is important to you. Also, in one of the previous posts you referenced AKV having the Disney feel. I wouldn't want you to be disappointed so I'm saying upfront, it doesn't so much have a Disney feel, but that WOW feel.

i would book as early as you are certain of your dates (point rentals are generally nonrefundable so do be certain.) booking earlier gives you more choices. at 7 months out, some options may start to book up, as that is when all DVC owners can book any DVC resort.

i think savanna view is worth it. there are some times of day when the animals are not visible (they are in the barn for checkups and such sometimes...i think they usually do it around checkout time to make sure i don't linger to say goodbye to the giraffes...;)) it's not scary (or smelly) at all but as usual, make sure little ones are not unattended on a hotel balcony...

definitely make sure you look at the resort activities sheet and consider doing one or two...like cookie decorating, night vision goggles, or music of the savanna...

sample activities guide link

I am considering renting points from a company for our upcoming nov disney vacation, but have never done it before. It will be me, my husband, daughter (4) and son (1). We are looking at staying for four nights Nov 6-10 but are not sure where to request or how likely things are available. I would like to keep it under 75 points if possible. We are only going to visit AK and MK this trip. Where would you recommend for us to stay??? Thank you in advance for your help!!!

No one has mentioned Bay Lake Tower, but that is what I'd recommend for your stay. You can walk to MK, take the monorail back, and then drive when you want to go to Animal Kingdom. My kids love the BLT pool.

No one has mentioned Bay Lake Towers, but that is what I'd recommend for your stay. You can walk to MK, take the monorail back, and then drive when you want to go to Animal Kingdom. My kids love the BLT pool.

Wish I liked the look of Bay Lake because the location can't be beat!!!! Don't know if it's worth it though to give up the theming of AK for proximity. Decisions, decisions - I guess this is a good dilemma to have!

Wish I liked the look of Bay Lake because the location can't be beat!!!! Don't know if it's worth it though to give up the theming of AK for proximity. Decisions, decisions - I guess this is a good dilemma to have!

the studios at BLT are a little on the small side, but with sleepy/cranky children, it can be very nice to simply walk from the MK back to your room without waiting in line for buses/boats/monorails. it's true. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter