• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where we ate 8/6-8-14

dwfanatic

DIS Veteran<br><font color=deepseagreen>Proud momm
I never do a trip report or dining reviews, although I always plan on making them!! I'll list the restaurants that we ate at during out trip and just ask if you have any questions.

Mara-breakfast and lunch-AKL
Boma-dinner-AKL
Typhoon Tilly's-TL
Flame Tree BBQ-AK
Sci Fi dine in-dinner-MGM
Planet Hollywood-lunch-DTD
Mexico pavillion-EP
Japanese pavillion-EP
Norway bakery-YUM- loved the School Bread-EP
Liberty Tree Tavern- dinner-MK
Columbia Harbor House-lunch-MK
Pirate Y Perico-MK
Garden Grill Ice Cream Social-EP
O'Hana- Dinner-Poly
Ghiradelli-DTD
Cape May Cafe-breakfast-Beach Club

How was Planet Hollywood? What did you get and was it good?

Sounds like you had a great time. Your making me hungry and it's only 9 am!! Were any of your experiences "great" and did you not enjoy some? Give us the best and worst highlights!!

Last year, I found it a bit dry and tasteless. How was it, as we are planning to try it again in just over a week. You are speaking of the counter service in Epcot, correct?
Thanks!

Is there a sit down japanese restaurant at Epcot...if so, how is it?

We love Boma. Very good selection, food and service were good. Some unusual items, but also food selections for my meat and potatos, non-adventurous dh! Make a PS.

We hated planet hollywood (only ate a lunch). Food was standard chain fare (like TGIF), service very slow, and the ladies room attendant practically knocked me over twice looking for a tip.

I have to tip to go to the bathroom? Is this a 5 star restaurant or something? ick.

Now to answer some questions...I actually liked Planet Hollywood. We got a great appitizer- large tortilla chips with bbq chicken and cheese- there were only 5, but they were good. I got the roast chicken and mashed potatoes with green beans. I loved it. DH got fajitas- he said they were OK but they were tasty to me. DS#1 got chiken tenders- he didn't like them, and I tried them, but didn't like them either. DS#2 shared off of our plates. I thought the athmosphere at Planet Hollywood was bad, though- it wasn't crowded at all, but there wasn't a lot of interesting stuff on the walls that I liked.

Boma was great- very exotic dishes, but tasty. The desserts were TO DIE FOR!!! I loved the cocnut tiramisu, zebra domes, and crunchy mousse thing...If you are not adventurous, however, you may not enjoy this restaurant.

Mara was OK- I actually thought POP and AS's had better selections. Also, the dining area is small. It was never crowded when we were there, but I can't imagine how it can get. I am used to the large seating area of POP and AS's as this was our first trip to a deluxe.

At the sci fi, we had burgers. They were very good. DS#1 had a hot dog, and DS#2 shared off of our plates. We got 2 light up ice cubes, too!! We skipped dessert as we were going to have snacks in the evening.

The Japanese restaurant is a must every time (NOT the sit down restaurant, but the fast- service one). We had the teriyaki chicken and a sort of beef dish- I can't remember what it's called- but it was very yummy.

The school bread was also to die for...it was a large round breadlike pastry. It was covered with coconut, and topped with a large dolop of a very light custard type of cream. There was also cream in the middle. The bread was lightly sweet with a hint of cinnomon. DH knows I love coconut, so he picked it for me- it was a GREAT choice!!

How was the Liberty Tree Tavern? I was thinking of making priority seating ressies there. Patty:cat:

Originally posted by binkyj826
How was Planet Hollywood? What did you get and was it good?
We ate there in Jan and the food was nothing more than mediocre. It was 8.00 for a kids meal and we should have spent the money going to Ohana's or Cape May Buffet instead. We walked out spending near 50.00 for 3 people. Nothing fancy either.

How was cape May's? We haven't tried it and I have a PS for breakfast our last day there. We usually do O'Hana's or Chef Mickeys. Thanks for the great info.

Thanks for the reviews. Something new to try at Norway bakery. I love the sweet pretzel there.

What did you think of Ice Cream Social?

Liberty Tree Tavern was an unexpected highlight of our trip. We spent the AM in Epcot, and then headed over to MK at around 2- boy was it crowded (compaired to Ep). We got a fast pass for Buzz, went on the people mover and then did Carousel of Progress, then went back to Buzz. Even with the fast pass, we had about a 10 minute wait. I got on the phone while we were in line, called WDW-DINE to see if there were any PS's for CP- not until 9:20 (and it was 5pm). I asked about LTT, as DS#1 loves Liberty's Kids on PBS (although I knew that he wouldn't eat anytheing there) and they had one for 5:30!! After Buzz, we grabbed fast passes for HM and went to our PS. It took about 10 minutes of waiting, then seated and saw Minnie and Chip right away!! The bread and salad were outstanding- main meal was very good, and DH and I loved the apple crisp!! Character interaction was great- it was DS#2's first up close and personal with them, so he was a bit shy (he was 16 mo). When we left, we went right to HM. I would definitley do this one again.

Cape May was the morning of our last day, as our flight was at 5:40pm. It was the morning after Hurricane Charley, so I called WDW-Dine to make sure that they were open, as our vacation home didn't have electricity. Buffet was good- I LOVED the apple cake pastry thing- very yummy. Everything else was good standard buffet food. Characters were good, although they took a long time to get around. I probably won't do this one again, though-

Any other questions??

I was disappointed by the ice cream social- I think I was expecting too much, though. The ice cream was good, but service was slow. Character interaction was just OK- DS#1 had a great time running around the restaurant, though! We had again gotten a fast pass for the Land, so after we ate, we went on it. Probably wouldn't do again, but a good, cheap way to dine with the characters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter