Which childcare club have you used?

Mellie2162

<font color="blue">It means that a friend is watch
We are thinking of doing a night out ...gasp....without the kids...oh the horrors...Anywho which clubs have you used and what did you think? We will be at BCV and VWL.

We are going to use the cubs den or whatever it is called heard very good things about it and the staff there.

We have used several.
The Neverland Club at the Poly, this is one of our kids' favorites. They thought the buffet dinner was kind of cool. Of course, they still ate the same thing they would have gotten off of a menu.

The Sandcastle Club at BC, have used this one several times since it is closest to BWV. This one is my favorite, I like the staff and the layout. This is a close second to being the kids favorite.

The Cubs Den at WL, used this one only a couple of times. Kids had a good time. Seemed to be a little smaller than the other two, but it may have just been the layout.

The Mouseketeer Club at GF. Kids had a fine time, but this is the smallest one that we've been too. Probably fine if you are just having time away for dinner (which is all we do) but kind of cramped if they are staying for several hours.
:wave2:

carol1231 said:
The Sandcastle Club at BC, have used this one several times since it is closest to BWV. This one is my favorite, I like the staff and the layout. This is a close second to being the kids favorite.

The Cubs Den at WL, used this one only a couple of times. Kids had a good time. Seemed to be a little smaller than the other two, but it may have just been the layout.

Im intereseted in these 2 I think although Neverland seems to be interesting too. Can you tell me what the Sandcastle is like? Do you know what the fees are? Thanks. :wave2:

We've used Cubs Den at VWL. Yes, it's small (the real estate agent would call it intimate) but there are plenty of games and the staff is pleasant. When they were little, our kids would actually ask for an evening there--which gave my wife and me the time for a date at the Brown Derby.

We've also used the in-room Kids Nite Out babysitting service. It's approved but not run by Disney. It's significantly more expensive but the care is quite good.

Mellie2162 said:
Can you tell me what the Sandcastle is like? Do you know what the fees are?

"It is a room filled with fun!" I just asked my DS6, and that was his response. There are several video game stations set up (that is his favorite) along the sides and several tables in the center that the CMs sit and do crafts with the kids. Then in the back there is an area with a TV that has Disney movies playing and some cozy cushions for the kids to relax. Back in that area is also a place with puzzles and board games (DD5 learned how to play Sorry with the CM last time). More toward the front is an area with stuffed animals and dolls. There is a CM that sits at a desk right at the door so no one is going in or out without that CM knowing. Kid sized bathrooms are off to the right side at the front of the room.

When you drop off the children, they will ask where you are planning to go. Then will ask for a cell phone number and/or give you a pager to be reached. You also order their dinner off of a menu, typical children food, chicken strips, mac n cheese, pbj, hot dogs. I think dinner is delivered at 6 and 8 (depending on when you drop them off) and is included in the hourly rate.

That is how I remember it to be. I suppose the layout may have changed, we were there last June. I believe the hourly rate is $10 per hour, per child. I feel fine leaving my kids there, they always ask when we are going to dinner so they can go back.

Our kids have been to cub's den (VWL), but more recently, we tried Camp Dolphin (at the Dolphin resort). reason: Dolphin gave us 2 hrs "complimentary" childcare there so long as DH and I dined at either Shula's or Palio. I had been considering the Sandcastle club, with a meal at Yachtsmen Steakhouse... but with 3 kids, you can imagine what a no-brainer it was to go with Shula's instead! That offer was worth about $60 to me...

The kids had a great time (they did crafts first, then went to Tubbi's buffeteria for dinner, then they were given some tokens for the video arcade... I think a movie followed that?!) Meanwhile, DH and I had an AWESOME dinner together... I'd do that again in a heart beat! It wasn't totally free care (we gave a nice $20 tip at the end to the Camp staff!) but it did allow DH and I to be care free... even if only for 2 hours... at a much cheaper rate yet with excellent care. Next time we might just add an hour or two at our own cost and stroll the boardwalk or something! ;)

Wow thanks for the descriptions they are great! We wanted to go to either MGM (for the big rides they wont ride) or Epcot for a few hours and this sounds wonderful. I think I may try to plan something while we are staying at BCV. How much advance notice do they need? We dont usually have an itenerary, we usually wake up and decide where to go or decide the night before. Also, is it customary to give the whole staff a tip and if so what have you all tipped?

We used Neverland Club this past April and the kids had a pretty good time. But when I went to pick them up I walked in and didn't really see much CM interaction going on and it was a slow night for them. I was amazed when the CM up front told me how busy they were the night before! It is a large place and later I thought I'd be worried on a busy night since my oldest has food allergies. Their buffet is peanut free, but with so many kids... I called around to other clubs and they are smaller, but many you can order a PB&J. Seems like pros and cons to each side.

If your kids are shy or hesitant to be left alone I'd go with a smaller club, if they are really outgoing and don't mind being left alone I'd go with Neverland Club cause it seemed more themed and grand.

I wanted to add that I think the near by kids clubs are busier on the extra magic hours nights to whatever park is having it. I think that was why Neverland Club was so packed the night before we used it - it was an MK EMH night. Just a guess.

gopherit said:
Our kids have been to cub's den (VWL), but more recently, we tried Camp Dolphin (at the Dolphin resort). reason: Dolphin gave us 2 hrs "complimentary" childcare there so long as DH and I dined at either Shula's or Palio. I had been considering the Sandcastle club, with a meal at Yachtsmen Steakhouse... but with 3 kids, you can imagine what a no-brainer it was to go with Shula's instead! That offer was worth about $60 to me...

The kids had a great time (they did crafts first, then went to Tubbi's buffeteria for dinner, then they were given some tokens for the video arcade... I think a movie followed that?!) Meanwhile, DH and I had an AWESOME dinner together... I'd do that again in a heart beat! It wasn't totally free care (we gave a nice $20 tip at the end to the Camp staff!) but it did allow DH and I to be care free... even if only for 2 hours... at a much cheaper rate yet with excellent care. Next time we might just add an hour or two at our own cost and stroll the boardwalk or something! ;)

Gopherit... What is the youngest age that Camp Dolphin will allow? Our youngest will be 3 when we go in March and I would love to do dinner at Shula's. Do they seperate the kids in age groups? My girls would be fine if they are all together, the 9 year old mothers the now 2 year old all the time anyway. I'm not sure how they would do if they were seperated. I don't think the youngest would stay.

ErinC said:
Do they seperate the kids in age groups?

Oh good question. Mine would be fine, I would just like them to know beforehand what to expect...do they do this at any of the other ones as well?

I can't say that I've ever seen them seperated into groups. I think the kids kind of do that themselves depending on what they like to play with.

sheryl0521 said:
Youngest is age 4 and potty trained through age 12 for the clubs.
The Contemporary was my daughter's favorite. I've always used where we've stayed or close to where we're going. As sheryl0521 says above, you have to be 4 and potty trained. We paid 10- per hour. An alternative is having "fairy godmothers" come and sit in your room. We've never done this, but maybe others have.

We've used Fairy Godmothers several times and been quite happy with the service. DS is only 3 and still working on the potty training, so he's not eligible for the kids clubs.

Our kids are also too small yet for the clubs so we've used Fairy Godmothers for dinners out and have been extremely pleased. They send "grandmas" and my kids seemed to sense that they were staying with a "real grandma" even if it wasn't their own and were fine. We know they are in good hands when we have to beg for a goodbye kiss.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter