Which credit card do you use for Airline miles?

JoEllen

DIS Veteran
I'm thinking of changing our credit card to one we can use for racking up airline miles. Wondering what the pros and cons are that you may have experienced. Any one particular plan you liked?

We fly American quite abit from Seattle to Orlando but I'm not thrilled with their idea of a credit card that can be used for air tickets only.

Thanks for sharing your ideas!

We have a Visa credit card through Wells Fargo that gives us points. The points can then be redeemed thru their travel division for airline tickets (as well as for many other things including restaurant certificates, car rentals, hotels, etc). What is good about this program is that they will also give you discounts on airfare if you don't have enough points for a free ticket. And they book the trip for you.

I just earned enough for a free ticket and redeemed it last week for my trip to WDW in May.

Details can be found on the Wells Fargo website. I don't know if I am allowed to post it here, but if you do a search you should find it easy enough.

I use the Capital One Miles card. I have only started using it recently with the costs of our upcoming WDW and DCL trip. I went to a website that compared credit cards, can't remember the exact one, but do a search on credit card comparison. You can enter what your priority is e.g. low interest rate, airline miles, hotel, etc. Capital One Miles card was highly recommended because it is only $20 per year and the rewards can be used on any airline. The comparison websites will give you the pros and cons of each card. HTH, Linda

I gave up my United miles credit card after the first free year because I didn't want to pay the $60. annual fee.

Now I use a card that gives gasoline (Shell) as a bonus in the amount of 1 percent of purchases towards the pump price.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

I use the Southwest Visa card. With 2 kids in college, the points accumulate quickly. I also belong to American Express Membership Rewards program. This way if I'm short for my SW ticket, I just transfer some points over from AmEx. We're taking our 2nd free trip to MCO next month!!!

I have a Delta Skymiles and love it. I get double miles every time I use it in the post office, for gas, pharmacy and grocery store purchases. Plus you get tons of opportunities to get more point when you buy tickets through their website, use the ticket booths at the airport, etc.

Thank you for some great ideas. It really makes sense to use the system for airline tickets at little or no annual fee.

At least one thing to feel good about when I use the visa card!

JoEllen
DVC - BWV - 1998

Are there a lot of black out dates and restrictions for these airline points? Usually we can only go to Disney during peak season. Right now we have AMEX Cash back bonus card and receive a substantial amount back every year, what amount would you need to charge in order to have enough for airline tickets? ~:D~

We have a Starwood Preferred Guest AMEX card, with a $30 annual fee. You get one point for every dollar charged, and 20,000 points = 25,000 miles on many airlines. Also - you can use the points for free stays at Starwood Hotels: Westin (Swan), Sheraton (Dolphin), Four Points, Luxury Collection, St. Regis, and W Hotels.

If you use the American Express optima card you don't pay a fee and you get cash back. When you figure it out you need 25000 points for most tickets which would mean that you spend $25,000 on the card, unless you get some bonus points through deals, and if you get the 1-2% cash back you are getting $250 - 500 back a year. You can buy a ticket with that. soetimes two tickets if there is a sale.

We also have the midwest Express card if you live near a hub theirs is great. Sirect flights 2 across seating and great meals. They partner with Virgin for international flights

Thanks jdkdorn, that's exactly the information I was looking for. Looks like the Cash Back Bonus card is a better deal for us. ~:D~

We use the Continental Platinum Master card. We charge everything over $10(Utilities,gas,taxes,tuition,cable,groceries,etc). It also gives double miles at Lowes,CVS,and a few other retail stores.And a lot of the times Continental has specials for traveling(20,000 miles per ticket, instead of 25,000 miles). Our fee is $65 per yr, but well worth it.We have already accumulated enough for 5 rt tickets in 1 yr.;)

We use the Quicken Visa card. Same as others listed here - point accumulated for each dollar spent. Don't remember what annual fee is $35-50 range I think.

We use the Quicken software package to track our checking & credit card expenses. With this card, we can download all of our charges into the software, track by category (gas, entertainment, vacation, miscellaneous expenses, house, etc.) and know exactly where we are spending our money.

You have to use a specific Travel Agency to book your flights, but you can fly on any airline & no blackout dates. We fly to WDW IN 10 DAYS :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc thanks to the points we've earned. You can use the points for other things like rental cars, magazines, etc. The points do expire, but I think it is something like 3 years from date of accumulation. Not sure about that part.

To add to my above post.The Continental Master Card milage never expires.And you can book your own flight over the net or call the 1-800 number.
Also there website(Continental.com) keeps an updated website with your milage total and your trips.

I don't use an airline miles card because my preferred carrier is Delta and their credit cards stink. (They have high annual fees.) Instead I use a Hilton HHonors credit card. It's easier to redeem on rooms because they don't have so many restricted dates, and one room works for the whole family (unlike airline tickets).

How do the cash back cards work? I tried the AmEx site and it wasn't much help. Any info would be appreciated!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter