Which is better?

My opinion would be a regular cruise to see what it is really like. However, I am not big on getting into the holidays. If you are a big Halloween or Christmas person, who just loves everything about the season, then maybe a holiday sailing would be best for you.

For a first cruise is it better to do a holiday themed cruise or a regular cruise?
We’ve done both. They are both great but I would go themed if it’s a toss up. HOTHS is one of my favs. Christmas theme is cool too actually. I’ve not done Star Wars but if it’s similar to Marvel, then it is likely cool. Marvel was really just one day where you got to go circulate areas to pose with characters. We have a pic with our kid and Groot. Best pic ever honestly. It was a cool Groot!

Anywho. The themed cruises have changed over the course of years. Just like the sail aways and pirate shows.

One of our first HOTHS they had trick or treat areas all over the boat with carved pumpkins all over the buffet area. A few years later another HOTHS didn’t have the trick or treat areas (candy stations) nor had as much Halloween decor in the buffet area. So…*shrug*.

But personally, I would go themed. They always seem to have a bit extra something going on or that is presented to you, making it special.

Valentines Day we got a heart shaped loofah and candy left on the bed. I thought that was cool.

Enjoy either way!

I say it's six of one or half a dozen of the other; They are both great. Book you cruise based on the best time for your travel dates. Either way you are going to have a great time. I have done both a regular cruise and a Very Merrytime cruise and loved them equally. I have another Christmas cruise this December and a regular cruise booked again in April.

I pick cruises based on price, itinerary, season (warm enough to get in the ocean, if it is part of the itinerary) but not blazing hot. We also aren’t bound by school schedules, so opt for low crowd months (avoiding large numbers of school-age kids, especially free-roaming tweens/ teens).

I would not pick a cruise for holiday theming. I would rather do an additional cruise than pay for a Christmas, Spring Break / Easter or Summer cruise.

I
I pick cruises based on price, itinerary, season (warm enough to get in the ocean, if it is part of the itinerary) but not blazing hot. We also aren’t bound by school schedules, so opt for low crowd months (avoiding large numbers of school-age kids, especially free-roaming tweens/ teens).

I would not pick a cruise for holiday theming. I would rather do an additional cruise than pay for a Christmas, Spring Break / Easter or Summer cruise.
Absolutely agree. I don’t pick cruises based on theme. At one point we had year round school so we were able to book less popular dates vs traditional schools. We too absolutely pick that which fits our schedule without giving them both arms and legs (as we already know, you’re giving a limb one way or another). So agree. IF I had the choice (both were options, prices very comparable), it would then depend on the theme. So absolutely agree. Either way, just enjoy. We absolutely don’t cruise high price points such as Spring Break, Thanksgiving Week, Christmas , etc. as you stated. Luckily though, they do have some themed that runs longer than those times. We have one booked right between 2 themed cruises, so we got the one week they transition and I’m just fine with that. It’s cheaper and works.

For us we had a cruise booked to only receive an email much later advising us it was a Marvel At Sea. So we got that one without looking for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter