• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which resort and plan with ASD son?

MadisonMom

Earning My Ears
I'm trying to decide *once and for all* which resort and which package will be best for my family which includes My DH, DS-14 and DS-7 (on the ASD spectrum) and me. We already have plane tickets for Oct 25-Nov 1. My original plans included staying near the airport for 1st and last nights and to check into whichever WDW resort in the morning of Oct 26th.

Ten years ago was the last time we went to WDW. On that trip, we stayed at teh Yacht Club and were on the Grand Plan. We have wonderful memories of that trip - although we were extremely full (3 sit-down meals per day). One of the things that we did on that trip that I think both boys will want to do on this trip are the mini-motor boats.

My ASD son really likes rides! Neither DH or other DS like fast/high rides. So, I expect that ASD son and I will be spending alot of time at MK. ASD son does really well in restaurants, especially if he has his earplugs and his Gameboy.

Another extra-special thing that we want to do this trip is Cirque du Soliel. I had a chance to see it on a business trip a couple of years ago and we have a video tape of it to help prepare ASD son.

I think that ASD son will really like the kid's clubs onsite. I'm hoping that they will be able to accomidate him. (I wrote a post about this a while back).

So, considering all of these factors, I thought that Poly Conceirge with Silver Plan would be the best solution for us. DH stayed at Poly during High School and didn't like it. He liked the YC much better. Also, with the Gold plan, we could eat at the better restaurants and have character b-fasts each day like we did in '94.

So, wonderful DisBoarders - what should I do? Poly? CR? GF? YC/BC? Concierge? Silver? Gold?

Thanks,
MadisonMom

If you think you are going to spend a lot of time at MK, I'd vote for one of the MK resorts on the monorail. It would be much easier to get to MK that way. maybe if your Dh didn't like the Poly, he would agree to GF or Contemporary?
GF has a lot of nice walkways and a nice little food court with outside tables for a chenge of scenery.
DH and I stayed at BCVs in July and at YC on another trip. It's very easy to walk to Epcot or the Studio, but the bus ride to MK was long and the bus was usually quite full.

Definitely monorail resorts!!! I think GF is gorgeous. but then again, if boats are faves - Poly!

Oh golly! the choices! But I ditto Sue - go for MK resorts.

Sounds like you'll have fun.

sue

Thanks for the responses, Sue & Sue!

Do you or anyone else think that the Contemporary would be too stimulating and noisy or the GF too upscale? I've been reading alot on the DisBoards. I'm worried that if we stay at the GF concierge that there would be too many people there on honeymoons or without kids to tolerate an occaisonal/possible outburst from our ASD son. Originally, I thought that the Contemporary would be great (it is also the least expensive MK resort). I know that the monorail will be a big hit. But I've heard that it is really noisy. Has anyone stayed there with a child on the spectrum? Every resort has its plusses and minusses! I'm so confused - I'm probably planning too much for this vacation. ;-)

We have not stayed at any of the MK resorts, but we visit them all for time away from the parks on each trip.
GF is very nice, but you are right, it's more "upscale" and posh.
The main building of the Contemporary has the monorail going thru it something lke every 20 minutes. I don't know about noisy though since the monorail is basically pretty quiet. All the rooms in the main building were modular rooms put into a "frame" of concrete compartments, so it's probably a pretty solid and quiet resort. The buidlings that are not part of the main building wold be less busy, but I think that concierge is in the main building.
Of all the MK resorts, the Poly seems the most quiet and laid back.

The contemporary is built to be very quiet. You cannot hear or feel the monorail trains when they go through.

All of my Contemporary stays have been in the main building, Park side. Usually we would ask for a room near the elevators or toward the North end of the building. Chef Mickey's is toward the South end, but the noise is really not noticeable.

If you are going to Concierge it is the 14th floor. Unlike any of the other floors you cannot see into the Grand Canyon Concourse; it is fulkly closed off and you do not get ANY noise at all from the center of the building, including the California Grille. There is a very large lounge (equal to two rooms) on the Park side, and they do pipe in the music and narrration from the fireworks. The evening hor d'oerves and desserts are from the California Grille.

The 12th Floor (there is no 13) is the "Tower Club". This is semi-concierge. There is a concierge there from early morning until about 4:00pm (as opposed to about 11:00pm on 14). They only serve breakfast as midday snacks and soft drinks are available during open hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter