Who drives to WDW

It's good to know I'm not the only one who prefers driving. Although gas prices are through the roof, I enjoy driving and the extra time we can spend together (not that it's all sunshine and roses, but at least I'm not in a plane with other people giving me dirty looks!). There are pros and cons to each, but for us and with the size of our family, driving is still more economical.

For those who drive overnight: Do you find it's hard to function the next day? Are you able to sleep in the car or do you rely on caffeine to keep you going? :) We're considering trying it on our next trip.

We always used to do this before I got hurt and can't sit for any long stretches. We really didn't have any problems the next day, in fact one time I actually arrived at 3:17 am, we rested until 7 and took the bus over to the MK. We had APs and we were ready to go! Our drive is about 1100 mies if that helps. We did this from the time our children were infants as well. Never an issue.

We always drive. It's only about 11-12 hrs from Louisiana. My DH is from Ohio which is about a 15 hr drive to see his family. We go there about twice a year so for us Disney is a short drive. We always drive overnight, makes for such a better trip with DD 3.

What we decided to do for our next trip is arrive around park opening for a park that has EMH at night. That way we can beat the crowds in the morning, go until we're tired and then head to the rooms, nap and still be able to go back that night.

We drive from Green Bay Wi. :scared1: It takes about 26hrs. including a 2-3 hr. nap in southern Georgia. :bitelip: Makes for a long day.

Wow, some of you have some serious driving to do to get to Disney. Our trip only takes 6 to 6 1/2 hours. ::yes::

July trip will be leaving around 2am.Plan on making it to Jacksonville by 7pm.Visit St.Augustine.Sleep over then on to Disney.

We drove straight through last trip about three weeks ago, took mapquest said 14 hours took us about 15 1/2 with stops for food. On the way back we stayed overnight half way.(Never in a hurry to get home)

My friends and I have always driven when we go down as it is just about 6 hours from Atlanta.

Timing wise it works out to be about the same if you fly when you factor in the time getting to the airport and waiting around for your flight and taking Magical Express, but this way we have a car to drive to the Parks and even to things outside WDW.

Our first 3-4 trips, we flew. Then friends told us how they drive, route and times and such, so we decided if we were going to continue returning, we would start driving. Been doing it since from NC. Takes about 10-11 hrs.

Are you going to check out the lighthouse?

Don,t know too much about that. Won't really be in SA but for that night and probably a couple hours into Sun to go to the Disney outlet store. Enlighten me on the lighthoue.

We're a little closer - Birmingham, Alabama. We always drive. Last time I drove down in one day and back in one day. It's hard on me (I'm a single mom) but it's much cheaper for us than flying. I also like having my own car and free to pack without being charged by the airlines for every little thing as well as not worrying about how to get the souvenirs back home on the plane.

we are taking our first trip in 3 weeks and will be driving from new albany, ms with 6 kids. nice to see a fellow mississippian on here.

Don,t know too much about that. Won't really be in SA but for that night and probably a couple hours into Sun to go to the Disney outlet store. Enlighten me on the lighthoue.

The St. Augustine lighthouse has been featured twice on Ghost Hunters and they consider the place haunted.:scared1: They have camera footage(sp?) of a "figure" leaning over the railing of the spiral staircase above them and when they quickly run up to see if anyone is there they can't find any one. There is no place to hide or any way out of the building from that area.

Some of those who talk about GH on this link http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1825653 would love to go to that lighthouse!

We used to drive from Virginia.
Took around 13 hours.

NOW IT TAKES US 3 and that is stopping once on the turnpike just to potty.:rotfl2: :lmao: :cool1: :thumbsup2 :cool1: :lmao: :rotfl2:

BUT when we did leave from the North we would leave at around 8pm just in time for what used to be our LITTLE ONES to be ready to go to sleep!!!They would do a few activities in the car and then they would get comfy and go to sleep.
Then they would sleep until it was just a bit passed daylight!
So we would be almost to the Florida Line.

Usually we would call ahed to a Cracker Barrel that was in georgia and order food to go and we would swing in and pick it up and smell it for about 15 minutes and then stop at the FLORIDA Rest area, the one right as yougo in Florida and we would eat and strecth and potty and the kids would playa bit we wold spend about an hour or so there and then we only had about 3 hours to deal with them in the car awake.

i always had activities planned out for them when they were younger, as they got older they had their game systems and then WOW MOVIES IN THE CAR!!!!! ( WHAT DID WE EVER DO WITHOUT THAT!)

I want to make an expedition to the Fort in my volkwagen campervan, but given that mapquest says it will be 18 hours.. I have to imagine with my SPEED...
.....should be about 8 days. (to get there)
Maybe I should take the month of september off to vacation and have the kids fly out so they don't kill themselves enroute.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter