Who goes for resort only stays?

luv2sleep

DIS Veteran
I've heard people say go somewhere else if you aren't going to the parks. However I like that you CAN go and do a ton at the WDW resort without stepping into a park and get fantastic accommodations to do it all from. I also love the Disney theming of the resorts. Lots of fun. Anyone else feel this way?

Absolutely! I actually love this about being owners. The expensive portion of DVC is going to the parks, dining and memorabilia. I love the resorts. We are going for a week for our next trip and we plan on only 3-4 park days. You are not alone.

When my DH and I go we usually only go to a park one time, if any and it is usually Epcot since we stay at the BCV. We consider it a resort distination with free transportation, wonderful restaurants and great places to walk. You can find great places to eat at all the resorts which do not need a park ticket.

Due to a worsening physical condition, I'm definitely thinking about resort only stays after we get one more use of our annual pass. I spend most of my park time waiting for family members to ride the rides. We have 3 small grand kids & I figure my husband can still buy a park ticket to help at the parks with the kids & I'll just enjoy myself at the resort. The grand kids live next door & I babysit them 3-4 days a week which is almost more than I can handle. I think I'd enjoy a little time alone at the resort. They can tell me all about their exciting day when they return!

My husband and I will go to the parks but we tend to have more resort time then park time. Also, if the park is too crowded we bail. What we don't do this trip, maybe we will do next trip.

I can see some resort only trips in our future. We are mid-upper 60's and frankly it is getting harder and harder to do all the walking in the parks. About mid-week of each trip, my feet really start giving out on me. I could easily see us starting to take trips down to WDW and perhaps just visit the parks for a couple of days and relax at the resort for the rest of the stay. We're also about to get our first grandchild. I could see us going down to WDW with DD, DSIL and DGS and us staying with DGS at the resort while the other's go to the park without us, especially while DGS will be too young to really enjoy the parks. In fact, DW and myself have discussed which resorts would be best to stay at if we were not doing parks and have decided on OKW, AKV and SSR.

We are close to that. But with AP discount, we just always buy them. Therefore we will walk into EPCOT just for dinner/Illuminations.

And now FP+ will make it even harder to not pop in for a bit.

That said-I could stay at BCV for 2 winter months and not leave-easily.

We did this with our 3 boys a few years ago before our Disney cruise. We loved it....we stayed at Kidani.

We did go to BB one day and DTD one evening, but spent about 2 full days just a the resort,

We will probably will do this again in July when my son plays basketball at WWoS. We will stay at OKW and just enjoy the resort. Maybe a evening at DTD for some bowling at Spiltsville.

DH and I are looking forward to some resort time just to ourselves once our youngest hits college in a few years.:thumbsup2

We haven't done this yet.. New members :yay:
This is at the top of my to do list!
We want to go during the holiday season.. It between Halloween and christmas.. 1 week of nov. Is our choice..
However it's going to be a few years before we will be able to do this has we have little ones.. And not going to the parks, would just be to hard for them..

Things we want to soon our non-park stay..
See all the resorts holiday ginger bread houses and/or pumpkins..
Mini golf
Movie night at the resort..
Spend a little more time at DTD
See circus de sole

We haven't done this yet but we fully intend to next year. For various reasons we are doing an east and west coast vacation and only doing Disney in California. In Orlando we will do universal but when staying at Disney we plan on not having park tickets. We want a couple of nights at VGF for boating and meals out then some time at Kidani for the resort and the animals.

Since owning DVC, we go to WDW more frequently. We don't spend as much time at the parks and certainly enjoy our resort time. There is so much to do and we don't have the need to see/do everything at the parks in 1 trip as there is always a future trip planned. We certainly pace ourselves and enjoy our trip even more! Don't come home needing a vacation from our vacation.

We have discovered lots of wonderful state parks in Florida. Also Bok Tower is a wonderful place to visit along with the Harry Leu gardens. While we have done the Disney parks many times it has gotten to be too expensive to just walk around them for a day or too. We'll just enjoy the sunny warm weather as we head there tomorrow.

I have done many resort only stays. There is so much to do outside the parks that anyone can stay as busy as they like or take a restful vacations. Everyone needs a time just to explore all that WDW has to offer and skipping the parks is a great way to plan a trip.

On stays at OKW I have met many members who either don't visit the parks or might go 1 or 2 days at a time. They much prefer the relaxation at the resort.

After a few years you have been there done that and the parks change little other than becoming more crowded. The honeymoon is over and you start to realize that paying $75 to run through the park to stand in a 30 to 60 minute line for a 5 minute ride isn't as much fun as it used to be. :goodvibes

Now we sit and watch other people run through the parks, it's more fun. :thumbsup2

We pick and choose what to do and when to do it. Sleep in when we feel like it and alternate park years and non-park years using AP's when necessary and non-expiring 10 day tickets for the non-park stays.

:earsboy: Bill

After a few years you have been there done that and the parks change little other than becoming more crowded. The honeymoon is over and you start to realize that paying $75 to run through the park to stand in a 30 to 60 minute line for a 5 minute ride isn't as much fun as it used to be. :goodvibes

Now we sit and watch other people run through the parks, it's more fun. :thumbsup2

We pick and choose what to do and when to do it. Sleep in when we feel like it and alternate park years and non-park years using AP's when necessary and non-expiring 10 day tickets for the non-park stays.

Yep this is us too. Unless Im with my nieces and nephews or extended family, DW and I just prefer to see the performers like FotLK, Beauty and the Beast, Off Kilter etc. and the other acts they have at F&W and F&G. And of course have meals from time to time at the signature restaurants and those at S&D/Waldorf. IF a line isnt too long or if we decide to get FP or now FP+ and we are in the area great we might do a ride or two but the majority of our time is spent soaking in the atmosphere/people watching/relaxing at the resort.

We have been to Disney multiple times, but we are leaving this Sunday for our first trip as DVC owners. We are only doing one park day and the rest we will be lounging and visiting the other resorts and DTD. We are looking forward to a more relaxed vacation. Don't get me wrong, we enjoy the parks, but with prices and crowds, one each visit is plenty for us!

Yep this is us too. Unless Im with my nieces and nephews or extended family, DW and I just prefer to see the performers like FotLK, Beauty and the Beast, Off Kilter etc. and the other acts they have at F&W and F&G. And of course have meals from time to time at the signature restaurants and those at S&D/Waldorf. IF a line isnt too long or if we decide to get FP or now FP+ and we are in the area great we might do a ride or two but the majority of our time is spent soaking in the atmosphere/people watching/relaxing at the resort.

Bill will FP+ be any enticement for you?

I generally agree with you both, but heck minimal wait at 4PM for the new 7DMT, or Soarin, maybe TSM or whatever-sounds pretty good.

Bill will FP+ be any enticement for you?

I generally agree with you both, but heck minimal wait at 4PM for the new 7DMT, or Soarin, maybe TSM or whatever-sounds pretty good.

Easier than using the old fast pass program but it won't make me enter a park unless it's a planed park day. Even Soarin which DW loves needs a re-do, the film is old and the projected image is suffering.

We are close to that. But with AP discount, we just always buy them. Therefore we will walk into EPCOT just for dinner/Illuminations.

And now FP+ will make it even harder to not pop in for a bit.

That said-I could stay at BCV for 2 winter months and not leave-easily.

Totally agree, for us it is BWV as a stay and a easy walk to the countries for dinner, of course if I could afford 2 months anywhere on property would be fine! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter