Who Wants To Try a DIS-Meet At Gulf State Park In May-June 2016?

Like my Mamma used to say. Y'all a'int right. Just for the record this new 5'ver does back differently than anything I have ever backed before but I have yet to give up. Regardless of the 32 tries it took the first time.

Just for the record this new 5'ver does back differently than anything I have ever backed before
Yep. They take a lot more steering wheel to get the trailer to start turning and then you better be taking all the steering back out, fast, or the trailer will be sideways before you know it. Lots different than a bumper pull, but once you figure it out... Ok, I won't say that. If 32 tries hasn't helped, well... :rolleyes1 :D

j

Mine is a 35 foot bumper pull and I wish it backed like a 5th wheel.

32 tries huh? Will your show have an intermission for snacks and bathroom break?

Found this pic of Flametamr after attempt #33.

1410360503595_wps_22_Google_s_Mountain_View_he.jpg

:duck:

j

Like my Mamma used to say. Y'all a'int right. Just for the record this new 5'ver does back differently than anything I have ever backed before but I have yet to give up. Regardless of the 32 tries it took the first time.

9e7jnmSp86k48.gif

Don't listen to these know-it-alls, flametamr. They think they're better than you. Don't you believe it.

Bama Ed

I'm not better than him, I'm just getting there before everybody else so the pressure is off my back. :duck:

They think they're better than you. Don't you believe it.
I never said I was better than him. I'm just acknowledging that 32 attempts is entertainment worthy.

You should have seen me trying to back a jet ski trailer behind my crew cab, long bed dually. Couldn't even see it in the mirrors until it was too far gone. Finally gave up and pushed it in by hand.

j

Yup backing up my jetski trailer behind my F450 was the hardest I believe. While trying to do that I could hear a lady watching saying that's overkill!

I'll get my hands on my buddy's golfcart so Tiggerdad, Teamubr and myself can be sure we won't miss nothing!

As for Tiggerdad, I'll just get my wife to ask his wife, they seem pretty tight buds, she'll give us the low down on Tiggerdad's trailer backing abilities!

Okay, okay. Ya'll beat me down. When Flametamr said "like my momma used to say", I heard Forrest Gump's voice in my head finishing the line, "life is like a box of chocolates..." but I couldn't find a gif of it so I went with what I could find.

Speaking of Forrest, though, he was quite the athlete:

kWwmDCotAB4mA.gif

GVl9S6Cf9LG2A.gif

No word on if he liked to go camping though. Okay, I'll get back on topic.

Bama Ed

Randy, You're killing me.

Ed, I think using Hilton to help with booking will be a good thing. While it is an outside business, they have good know how to bring to the table. Is the state still going to run it I wonder?

Ed, I think using Hilton to help with booking will be a good thing. While it is an outside business, they have good know how to bring to the table. Is the state still going to run it I wonder?

Up until recently, lodging programs in the state parks had to be run by the state government. They could NOT be leased out to a third party. The state park system runs other lodges around the state. People who work in them or on them are full-time or part-time state employees. However, because of the desire to rebuild at GSP, the law was changed to allow an outside party to operate a hotel on state property. So no, the state won't run it - and that's a good thing.

It's probably worth the cost of the licensee fee to have a professional group like Hilton run it for the very reason you refer to, tiggerdad. They. Know. How. And a new GSP lodge will bring in more money to the state park system and help keep the system going and afloat. The old line of thought was the state should be the ones to operate a hotel/lodge to guarantee beach stays at rates affordable to the common Alabama citizen. The old line of thought also included the fear that an outside operator would jack up rates to maximize profits and make a stay at the beach too costly to the common Alabama citizen. But now with the cuts in funding, they will choose most options that will produce extra revenue (probably through some profit sharing arrangement between Hilton and the state park system).

I kinda wonder if the state parks will outsource the other lodges at some point in the future. Curious as to what it would look like, the new lodge. We stayed at the old one when my boys were little. One requirement is the new building/parking lot must fit in the footprint of the old building/parking lot or else they have to get new Federal permits to build on the beach and that would take years.

But since I got my Aliner, hey, doesn't matter to me. Although due to the funding issues they did raise the campsite fees pretty significantly. Buried in this link http://wkrg.com/2015/09/30/5-alabama-state-parks-closing/ is the fact that costs went up 8% for "select base lodging rates" but then in-state residents get a 5% discount. I wonder if I'll get a discount at the GSP campground.

Bama Ed

She's pleading her 5th amendment rights out of fear I'll make her actually drive the truck while pulling the camper.
Are all wives afraid to tow? Thought it was just my DW. Maybe it's just the farm girls around here that know how to haul.

j

Are all wives afraid to tow? Thought it was just my DW. Maybe it's just the farm girls around here that know how to haul.

j

Mine has been afraid to take the wheel and tow ours. Maybe with the new dually she will, but doubt it.

j

My DW is afraid to even drive my Suburban at all, much less when towing. And plus, the way she drives, I'm not in a big hurry to encourage her to.

Now my DD, on the other hand, likes sitting up high driving the Suburban. It appeals to her alpha-female side. :rolleyes1

Bama Ed

That's good for GSP, more income for GSP and the local economy, always a good thing, as long as they keep the camping areas and the hotel area kinda of spaced out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter