WHY => Change of room size post-OKW

CRSNDSNY

DIS Veteran
Why do you suppose they made all of the villas at WDW's DVCs smaller post-OKW? If the larger ones are attractive to both members and potential members, why would they shrink the floor plans?

A lot more rooms can fit in to a resort by making them smaller. More rooms equals more availability equals more members equals more money. Apparently it has worked. DVC has over 90,000 members and growing. It would be great if every resort had the same size rooms as OKW but it makes sense from Disney's standpoint to make them smaller.

Smaller rooms, more units in the same footprint. Space at BWV, VWL and BCV is definitely at a premium. Every square inch counts.

I would not have been surprised if when they designed SSR they'd have gone back to the larger rooms.

They changed the room size for the same reasons as a dog licks, well, you know. Because it can. They could still sell a smaller room (and fit a few more into each floor), so they did.

My guess would be that when Disney built the original Disney Vacation Club (now OKW), they really didn't know what type of vacationer they would attract.

They probably figured that DVC vacationers would be like other timeshare vacationers, and look for the ample space and a large kitchen/living room area.

Then after they got some experience, they learned that DVC owners like the amenities, but really look at the villas as upscale hotel rooms with more amenities. When they downsized the villas, and went to stacked washer/dryers and other changes, and still had no slowdown in sales...well, they found a formula that satisfied DVC owners and increased their profits.

I will say that despite the downsizing of subsequent DVC resort villas, I think that Disney also got good at making the spaces more efficient. So when we stay at a 2BR at BWV or VWL, we don't feel squeezed at all compared to the same size accommodation at OKW.

Just my opinion. :)

I would say it has more to to with the shape of the buildings. The shape of the OKW buildings - unique among the other DVCs on WDW property - lends itself to the room configuration - how else would you use the odd-shaped space. The shapes of the others do not - except in the rare instance of a curve in the building such as in the BW and the 1brs near the pond.

And then if they had made the rooms larger going straight down the hallways, they would have been misaligned with the windows. :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Simple: Less sq ft, less cost to build. More money for Disney.
Disney has NEVEr been accused of being the village idiot.
What I love is that I can get a huge OKW 1 bedroom for only a little more than the other DVC's studios. HEAVEN!

After just spending a week at VWL in a 1BR and a week at OKW in a 1BR, I'll take OKW and the space to really spread out any day--next year the two weeks will be spent at OKW. The stacked washer and dryer are a pain and very loud with kids on the pullout. A full laundry room allows space to put all the extra clothes, to change from swimsuits and keeps it all quiet. I know it may sound silly, but the bigger freezer and frige are a welcome help as well. I find that cooking at OKW is much easier than at VWL, but many people don't cook at the deluxe resorts--at least that is what housekeeping keeps telling me! That table for two is not condusive to feeding a family of four used to eating together for meals. I guess it really is just a matter of how you are using the rooms. I like VWL but I love OKW!

I think it was done to keep us OKW owners feeling special. :teeth:

Seriously, I think they soon realized what a goldmine they had and started seeing more $$$$ signs by lowering overall construction costs.

I agree that those of us who are OKW owners feel special! :goodvibes Once you have rented a GV at OKW, it's so much nicer than anywhere else. The two bedrooms upstairs are huge! They have a balcony overlooking the living room, and a lovely staircase. The 4 bathrooms give you enough space for 4 showers at once--and a tub!--and very large open rooms. I went to SSR just to make sure the GV's were smaller, and the difference really was significant. And only 51 pts a night!!!! :rotfl: I felt very special :love: DD's house is smaller than the GV! :rolleyes:

Nobody ever accused Disney of being stupid. If people still buy the smaller units, why would you build larger ones?? :confused3

I recently saw some really good pictures of OKW's rooms and was seriously impressed wtih both the configuration and size! WOW...OKW owners are very lucky! :)

CRSNDSNY said:
I recently saw some really good pictures of OKW's rooms and was seriously impressed wtih both the configuration and size! WOW...OKW owners are very lucky! :)

OKW owners are lucky! But all DVC owners are lucky because they too can stay at OKW on lower points when there is availability using their higher maintenance points! But shhhh! Don't let everyone know that!

By the way, OKW GV is haunted! If you smell pig's feet cooking in your unit, tell Richyams that I said hi! :wave2:

As a OKW owner, I feel lucky indeed. I love the extra space and am reminded every time we go - or just look at photos!! - how lovely and wonderful this resort is! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter