Why Do People Feel It's OK To Decorate Resort Windows?

jakeybake

DIS Veteran
I know I'm going to be toasted for having the nerve to ask the question but why do folks think it's ok to throw all that stuff on the resort windows?

The largest part of every WDW trip for us (and for a lot of people I assume) are the illusion and atmosphere that Disney creates. They put more time and effort into creating a dream escape for people then any other company in the world and leave nothing to chance when doing so.

If I am paying good money for my family to be taken away from everyday life and into a "dream" world then the last thing I want to see are people messing with the allure and experience of the resort by choosing to put pictures, wording and symbols all over their resort windows, as if it was their own home. Again, Disney puts a lot of time and effort into atmosphere and folks slapping thier own personal items on the resort windows seems a bit self serving to me.

If I'm staying at the Port Orleans Riverside I want to feel as if I'm walking through the old south and taking in the sights and sounds of the resort. I don't need to see windows plastered with nonsense about the Jones and Smith families. And I'm stunned as to why people think anyone else would care to see it.

Sorry, I know I am coming across as old grumpy gills but I just don't get it and I know the torching session on me will begin shortly!!

Jay

Yes, I will agree with you on this, I think it completely cheapens the look of the resorts.

I have no clue why people do it or why they think it's fun. Seems like a big waste of time to me, not to mention that it looks tacky :confused3

I would much rather see a few Disney decorations on a window, then a beach towel thrown over the railing, or food trays left outside the door to be picked up, or tripped over. What are your thoughts on towel animals, those are placed in the windows too.

I've actually never seen windows decorated. We've mostly stayed at the Wilderness Lodge. Maybe people don't decorate there? Maybe I'm just too busy to notice? We're heading back to the World in August. I will keep my eyes open for window decorations.

:)

Get over it...people can decorate if they want...if Disney doesn't care why do you?

Count me in on that bus. I hate those decorations that some people impose on the rest of us. Keep your decorations inside your room.

Count me in on that bus. I hate those decorations that some people impose on the rest of us. Keep your decorations inside your room.

They are inside our rooms...if you don't like them...just keep walking by, don't look.

I don't do it myself, but it doesn't bother me if someone wants to decorate their windows. This past trip it seems Mousekeeping did it for me:
disney2008040.jpg

Don't really care either way. I do think it looks tacky, but you only really notice if you're right outside the rooms; from a distance it's unnoticeable. If it makes the trip that much more special for a family, so be it.

As for destroying the "feel," well, remember that Disney's interpretation of these places is an idealized and extremely well kept version. I have a pretty strong feeling that the area along the rivers next to New Orleans is nothing like POR's Magnolia Bend (where we stayed last visit).

I think it gives the resort a dorm atmosphere instead of an expensive resort - which it is!

Different strokes for different folks. I've never had someone's decorations upset me. They are having fun and that's what I'm there for too.

ETA: RosieP...love what Mousekeeping did to your window. Very cute! How could anyone not like that?

Now I feel bad for putting a bunch of Disney toys on the resort windowsill.

My wife even brought home some vinyl snowflakes and some other Disney vinyl stickies.

I feel bad for the folks appalled by our display but that won't stop us.

We got nothing but rave reviews on our last trip.

I've actually never seen windows decorated. We've mostly stayed at the Wilderness Lodge. Maybe people don't decorate there? Maybe I'm just too busy to notice? We're heading back to the World in August. I will keep my eyes open for window decorations.

:)

It doesn't normally occur at the deluxes, only the values and moderates which have their windows facing the walkways. Although I have seen photos of people putting Christmas lights and even inflatables on their balconies!

Now I feel bad for putting a bunch of Disney toys on the resort windowsill.

My wife even brought home some vinyl snowflakes and some other Disney vinyl stickies.

I feel bad for the folks appalled by our display but that won't stop us.

We got nothing but rave reviews on our last trip.

Hey we'll be there at the same time!

I never thought it would have bothered anyone to put decorations in our window. I dont think too many people even saw ours because we were on the 4th floor at Pop Century. Also, with Pop being a value resort that has ALOT of kids, I dont think it was a big deal. In fact Mousekeeping added towel animals to our display and some inside our room which made our 9 year old smile!

Hope you dont mind me adding the pictures!

window1-1.jpg

window2.jpg

door-1.jpg

FairyGodmother76: Those are great pics! I love the decorations!

I love to see the windows decorated and I will be decorating my window in 24 days!

I agree that decorated windows do look tacky. People now use the writing paint....is it really necessary???? (also hear that it dosent always come off well) I do think that what mousekeeping did is cute, but its not something you would leave for the week you are there. I have a DS & DD, but we would much rather enjoy the magic that Disney has provided than ghetto up the place.

I agree that decorated windows do look tacky. People now use the writing paint....is it really necessary???? (also hear that it dosent always come off well) I do think that what mousekeeping did is cute, but its not something you would leave for the week you are there. I have a DS & DD, but we would much rather enjoy the magic that Disney has provided than ghetto up the place.

:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter