Why Does the Canadian Ticket Savings Not Apply When Purchasing Hotels?/WestJet vs. AC Question

Jabroniville

Mouseketeer
This is a peculiar one- I was gonna purchase a package with tickets + hotel, but the Canadian Resident discount (20% off tickets) doesn't seem to apply when you add "Purchase Tickets" or whatever it says. Can you only purchase that separately? It's only a minor annoyance, but still.

Also, I remember asking a couple years ago when WestJet raised its prices to Air Canada's. Has anyone noticed WestJet suddenly got cheaper again? Air Canada is charging out the nose (SEAT SELECTION costs over a hundred bucks per seat now!), and WestJet seems to have scaled back a fair bit again. Is that because they closed down Swoop and need cheaper options again?

Last edited:
This is a peculiar one- I was gonna purchase a package with tickets + hotel, but the Canadian Resident discount (20% off tickets) doesn't seem to apply when you add "Purchase Tickets" or whatever it says. Can you only purchase that separately? It's only a minor annoyance, but still.

Also, I remember asking a couple years ago when WestJet raised its prices to Air Canada's. Has anyone noticed WestJet suddenly got cheaper again? Air Canada is charging out the nose (SEAT SELECTION costs over a hundred bucks per seat now!), and WestJet seems to have scaled back a fair bit again. Is that because they closed down Swoop and need cheaper options again?
You can book the room separately and hopefully get a decent room only discount since there are several available at the moment. Then buy the CDN discounted tickets and save the money on those. IF you're wanting to add the dining plan as well, you will need to call in and ask for that and Disney will create a "ticketless package" for you.

As to your questions about airfare, who knows! The airlines all seem to have an endless loop of limited time seat sales making it hard to compare them to each other. I agree that the added extra fees can be outrageous and we will opt to pay for the fare that includes what we want from the get-go!

You can book the room separately and hopefully get a decent room only discount since there are several available at the moment. Then buy the CDN discounted tickets and save the money on those. IF you're wanting to add the dining plan as well, you will need to call in and ask for that and Disney will create a "ticketless package" for you.

As to your questions about airfare, who knows! The airlines all seem to have an endless loop of limited time seat sales making it hard to compare them to each other. I agree that the added extra fees can be outrageous and we will opt to pay for the fare that includes what we want from the get-go!
Thanks! I purchased the "save more if you stay longer" discount on the room so far, getting an 11-day stay for like $2177 or so. $159/night average, which seems better than the last time I went... but I'm not sure. That time I had a D+ discount for 20% on the rooms, and so a 10-night stay + 9-day Park Hopper Passes were $2400 combined. With park tickets this time I'll be spending close to $2800 and adding only an extra day to both.

At least flights are cheaper this time! Last time it was about $1000 round-trip from Edmonton or Orlando. Now it's closer to $800.

Thanks! I purchased the "save more if you stay longer" discount on the room so far, getting an 11-day stay for like $2177 or so. $159/night average, which seems better than the last time I went... but I'm not sure. That time I had a D+ discount for 20% on the rooms, and so a 10-night stay + 9-day Park Hopper Passes were $2400 combined. With park tickets this time I'll be spending close to $2800 and adding only an extra day to both.

At least flights are cheaper this time! Last time it was about $1000 round-trip from Edmonton or Orlando. Now it's closer to $800.
Yes, the room and tickets will need to be purchased separately. Have you looked into the UK ticket deals? It might depend on the time of year you're going, but when I compared for our upcoming March trip, the 14 day ticket was cheaper than an 8-day park hopper. Plus the UK tickets include water parks, mini golf and memory maker.

We fly out of Edmonton too. Is that per person for flights you're talking about? We've seen as low as $400 pp or so if you can be flexible on your timing or catch a good seat sale. Our upcoming flights in March we managed to find direct flights for $550 pp which will be a dream! That connection through Toronto is always a bit of a nightmare to get through. Always through WestJet or occasionally Delta which is a partner airline so technically the same, I guess. I have the WJ Mastercard with the companion voucher and free checked luggage, so that helps too.

Yes, the room and tickets will need to be purchased separately. Have you looked into the UK ticket deals? It might depend on the time of year you're going, but when I compared for our upcoming March trip, the 14 day ticket was cheaper than an 8-day park hopper. Plus the UK tickets include water parks, mini golf and memory maker.

We fly out of Edmonton too. Is that per person for flights you're talking about? We've seen as low as $400 pp or so if you can be flexible on your timing or catch a good seat sale. Our upcoming flights in March we managed to find direct flights for $550 pp which will be a dream! That connection through Toronto is always a bit of a nightmare to get through. Always through WestJet or occasionally Delta which is a partner airline so technically the same, I guess. I have the WJ Mastercard with the companion voucher and free checked luggage, so that helps too.
I have not. Is that from the "Attraction Tickets" website I'm seeing? I figured that was for UK residents only or something. I'm going in May. Another site has a similar "14 for 7" thing going on (on the Disney UK travel site?). I added it up and "Canadian discount" prices in CAD are like $1100 (I think I forgot to account for USD to CAD before). So this would be MUCH better for sure.

For me, this is per-person. Going there was about $460 but heading back is only $360 or so. I'm shocked you found one so cheap! Was that booked way ahead of time? And yeah, connecting through Toronto is AWFUL and I will never believe the gate people again about "an hour is enough time". At Pearson, there is ALWAYS another gigantic plane dropping off at the exact same time as yours and pushing 300+ people through connections and immigration.

Last edited:
I have not. Is that from the "Attraction Tickets" website I'm seeing? I figured that was for UK residents only or something. I'm going in May. Another site has a similar "14 for 7" thing going on (on the Disney UK travel site?). I added it up and "Canadian discount" prices in CAD are like $1100 (I think I forgot to account for USD to CAD before). So this would be MUCH better for sure.

For me, this is per-person. Going there was about $460 but heading back is only $360 or so. I'm shocked you found one so cheap! Was that booked way ahead of time? And yeah, connecting through Toronto is AWFUL and I will never believe the gate people again about "an hour is enough time". At Pearson, there is ALWAYS another gigantic plane dropping off at the exact same time as yours and pushing 300+ people through connections and immigration.
Yes, American Attractions is one and Attractions Tickets is another. Not too sure of the difference between the sites/deals. Lots of positive reports here on another thread on these tickets and it doesn’t sound like they are restricted to European visitors. You do have to pay in either £ or € though so there is a bit of a hit on your credit card for the foreign exchange fee. Even still, could make it a good deal if you are there on a longer trip.

That is a crazy per person cost! I don’t think we’ve ever paid more than $650 tops. We do book basic economy though and odd flight times if the price is better. Red eye flying out and getting in at midnight local time coming home. For our March trip, we booked flights last June. We are DVC so usually book our stays 9-11 months out and then start looking for flight deals and buy as soon as we see a decent price. I’ll pull the trigger for anything under $500 per ticket. I find the lowest prices seem to be advertised in the 6-9 month range but sometimes you can get some good seat sales 3-4 months out but that’s a gamble. The Black Friday discount is usually pretty good but you definitely need to be flexible to take advantage of those.

A few years ago we missed our connecting flight home in Toronto because of how chaotic and disorganized their customs process was. We could either wait 24 hours for the next available flight to Edmonton or fly to Vancouver and then to Edmonton. It was a very long travel day… It was the flight that made us apply for Nexus. Finally completed our application and got our cards last month!

Yes, American Attractions is one and Attractions Tickets is another. Not too sure of the difference between the sites/deals. Lots of positive reports here on another thread on these tickets and it doesn’t sound like they are restricted to European visitors. You do have to pay in either £ or € though so there is a bit of a hit on your credit card for the foreign exchange fee. Even still, could make it a good deal if you are there on a longer trip.

That is a crazy per person cost! I don’t think we’ve ever paid more than $650 tops. We do book basic economy though and odd flight times if the price is better. Red eye flying out and getting in at midnight local time coming home. For our March trip, we booked flights last June. We are DVC so usually book our stays 9-11 months out and then start looking for flight deals and buy as soon as we see a decent price. I’ll pull the trigger for anything under $500 per ticket. I find the lowest prices seem to be advertised in the 6-9 month range but sometimes you can get some good seat sales 3-4 months out but that’s a gamble. The Black Friday discount is usually pretty good but you definitely need to be flexible to take advantage of those.

A few years ago we missed our connecting flight home in Toronto because of how chaotic and disorganized their customs process was. We could either wait 24 hours for the next available flight to Edmonton or fly to Vancouver and then to Edmonton. It was a very long travel day… It was the flight that made us apply for Nexus. Finally completed our application and got our cards last month!
Ah yeah, the foreign exchange fee might hurt the savings even more.

re: flights, it's weird, because I did a few tests ages ago (before I knew when I wanted to go) and the flights were still $500 apiece or something. Granted I didn't check a LOT, but I didn't know when I wanted to go until a few weeks ago after checking crowd calendars, American holidays, etc. Plus I was waiting to see where my financial situation was (the last trip was the first time it cost enough I couldn't go again right away, so I wanted to be sure if I could afford it. I know it's better to book ages ahead of time but booking time off work can be iffy and I never felt right about booking a year ahead.

I mean, this last time finding a $241 flight baseline was VERY surprising. I also paid for exit row a couple of times on this one, I will admit (it's 3-4 hours to Toronto and I ain't getting stuck in the middle and with no legroom!), which enhances the cost, plus the "Econo" setting which adds $25 or so. HOWEVER, in late 2022 I didn't do exit rows and still paid $500 each way. That time I didn't pick flights until a few months before my trip, either. I can't remember why, but oftentimes I was quite paranoid about trips being cancelled and the like. Checking both websites again periodically I see the flight prices are usually holding, going up and down by $25 or so periodically.

My main issue is finding the "perfect" flight- I've gone on a slightly pricier flight to avoid flying into Orlando at nighttime. To me, that's pointless and a waste of an expensive hotel night, so it's worth the extra dollars to fly in earlier so I can get there in the morning or early afternoon and then go to Disney Springs (my ideal "vacation start"). And I'm not usually going in "vacation high season", either.

The high cost isn't limited to me, either- my friend went to Disneyland earlier last year and he told me he paid upwards of $4000 to fly a family of four just to CALIFORNIA! And he'd booked that well ahead of time!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter