Why Pack Light

Bella O

Mouseketeer
I can understand wanting to pack really light if you are doing a lot of solo travel (when I was 21 I traveled Europe for 8 weeks with a duffel bag!) But I'm wondering why this is necessary on a ABD tour. How often will you be traveling with luggage - isn't all the luggage dealt with for you?

I can understand wanting to pack really light if you are doing a lot of solo travel (when I was 21 I traveled Europe for 8 weeks with a duffel bag!) But I'm wondering why this is necessary on a ABD tour. How often will you be traveling with luggage - isn't all the luggage dealt with for you?

ABD only allows one piece of luggage and a carry on. So you are kind of forced to pack light anyway.

ABD only allows one piece of luggage and a carry on. So you are kind of forced to pack light anyway.

Is this absolute? We are staying in Europe another 9 days (Rhine River Cruise) after Viva Italia and I was intending to bring another small piece of luggage with some nicer clothes. I guess I'll have to call them. :worried:

Luggage limits may depend on group size. And if you call to ask, you may want to check if there will be laundry facilities at any of the stops. On our Southwest Splendors trip, there were two places with laundry facilities. We did laundry one afternoon, just to freshen up some of our things. It was nice to have clean clothes.

Well, now that a lot of airlines are charging for extra bags, or in American Airlines case, the first bag, many people will probably be packing lighter.

To me, packing light means carry-on only:) - I just don't think it's that essential while on a tour.

Is this absolute? We are staying in Europe another 9 days (Rhine River Cruise) after Viva Italia and I was intending to bring another small piece of luggage with some nicer clothes. I guess I'll have to call them. :worried:

Well, it's stated on the website and in the information I received from ABD. But I haven't been on a trip yet to see what really happens. I'm going to stick to one piece for our Viva Italia trip in September. Maybe you could mail your nicer clothes to the last hotel on the trip. I am thinking of having some of my toiletries mailed over to the first hotel because I am sure I will have problems with my bag being over 50 pounds. If you mail over some items, it will at least give you less to worry about on the trip over.

There are other threads that discuss the number of bags you have, and it looks as if they will handle your bags without issue even if there are a couple extra for your group.

If you ask ahead of time though, it looks like they tend to stick to the 1 bag rule.

As for packing light, we were able to make it at just under 50 lbs/person /bag on our recent Viva Italia tour. However, our heroes on the trip were a couple who traveled with carry-ons only. They purchased drip dry travel clothing (through LL Bean or Eddie Bauer or Travelsmith) before the trip, and were able to do their laundry in their bathroom every night and look (and smell) fresh as daisies the next day. You really don't need to dress up for any of the occasions on the tour. Next time, we are travelin' light!
Cindy:thumbsup2

There are other threads that discuss the number of bags you have, and it looks as if they will handle your bags without issue even if there are a couple extra for your group.

If you ask ahead of time though, it looks like they tend to stick to the 1 bag rule.

Thank you Kiderak. I did a search of the forum for luggage and found my answer! ::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter