Why? Small pitty party

1stluvispooh

<font color=blue>Go straight and never ever stop<b
Why does reading my DD's IEP report that is in her report card make me said? She's doing great and well yes her last IEP meeting was in March so these goals are really for next year.

The goals in an IEP tend to be very narrow and just small representive pieces, it is the changes in the fuctional statement and the PLAP that really tell the story.

bookwormde

It makes me sad too. My theory is, our kids are much smarter at home, but better-behaved at school!!

1stluvispooh, sending hugs your way. :grouphug: Allow yourself a moment to be sad, then pick yourself up and prepare for battle. I find that when I try to push away the sadness, it just lingers longer. If I give myself the time to be sad, then I'm stronger after and ready for what lies ahead.

I just organized my sons paperwork from K - present and had a LOT of IEPs to look over (he's 23). I remember the feeling of hope/dread each and every time we got a report or attended a meeting. I always hoped they would say that he was doing fantastic and had improved better than expected, but I can only say that happened once in all the time that we met with teachers. In looking back I was hoping that each time they would say that they were mistaken and my DS did not have any disabilites and they had made a mistake. At least for me reading those reports was just physical evidence that I had a son with issues and needed to just feel the sadness of not having the "perfect" kid.

I agree with Nik's Mom. Let yourself feel sad for a while and try and focus on the best atributes your DD has and focus on those. IEPs are just one small portion of your childs life.

As a teacher of special needs students I can only imagine how that must feel. But, try and remember this is just a small, very small snapshot of your daughter. Try and remember all of her wonderful talents and gifts. I know my students teach me much more than I teach them. I feel they are all blessings in their own way. They give me the ability to look at life from a different perspective. But, it is okay to grieve about what is or isn't. I have had some of my students going on 7 years now and have seen parents go through many stages and each one is valid. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Because you :love: her and you know she is SO MUCH MORE than a piece of paper. I remind myself of this when I review reports for DS2 (he's just a baby) who has been diagnosed with autism. I would give my life for him, he is so sweet-so it hurts when anything negative is written about him-even though I know it is helpful for him in the long run.

Chin up!;)

This may seem counter-intuitive, but I try to be HAPPY with a poor IEP! Your goal should be to get as many services as possible from the school. A poor IEP will help you get/continue those services!

Anyway, you are the best judge of how your child is really doing!

God bless!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter