why the age limit?

stephie1012

DIS Veteran
There are a few things DD could do listed on our local site, but she is only 4. Is there any reason the kids have to be 6? There is one thing i was looking at that was to design placemats for a local soup kitchen, all this involves is coloring on a piece of construction paper and them me getting them laminated. On the little paragraph it says all ages, but i know disney limits the age to 6.

I assume you are talking about the volunteer for give a day promotion right?

There are a few things DD could do listed on our local site, but she is only 4. Is there any reason the kids have to be 6? There is one thing i was looking at that was to design placemats for a local soup kitchen, all this involves is coloring on a piece of construction paper and them me getting them laminated. On the little paragraph it says all ages, but i know disney limits the age to 6.

I was wondering that, too. DD is also 4 and I couldn't find one that included her age group. :confused3

My guess would be labor laws. Though it is volunteering I think the fact that they are giving tickets might play into it too. Just a guess.

I don't understand why some of the things have the age limits. One that we found is filling 45 Easter eggs. A younger child could certainly do this. I understand the stuff that the kids have to do at a center, or food bank and what not but the at home projects it seems silly to put the age limit.

Probably because they want to make sure the child is actually doing some work, and contribuing to whatever project. You know how some people are, they would swear their 3yr old helped to sort out clothes at a shelter, or something clearly outside of their abilities.

I think Disney set the limit for the promotion as ages 6 and up so you won't find any activities for a 4 yr old because she isn't eligible to participate. I have a 5 yr old that can't do anything until after his birthday in May-hopefully there will be vouchers left by then.

My DH and I were chatting about this just the other day. The answer that we came up with was any younger than 6 isn't necessarily going to understand that they are volunteering/helping someone else out, which is the point of the program. This doesn't affect me, but it does my sister. But the way that I see it, if they can save money and 4 other tickets (2 ch/2 ad) then having to purchase 1 ch ticket isn't so bad.

Not sure why they have the age limit either, but didn't let that stop me from bringing my 3 year old (after asking the charity group if that was ok) with me. We gleaned oranges in a grove (picked the stuff left behind from harvest) and I dare say he was a bigger help then my 8 year old! :rotfl: We tried to re-iterate that the oranges we were picking were for hungry people who didn't have food. He understood. So, don't let not getting a free ticket stop you from using the opportunity to teach a valuable lesson. And hey, free tickets for the rest of the family is nothing to sneeze at!

Not sure why they have the age limit either, but didn't let that stop me from bringing my 3 year old (after asking the charity group if that was ok) with me. We gleaned oranges in a grove (picked the stuff left behind from harvest) and I dare say he was a bigger help then my 8 year old! :rotfl: We tried to re-iterate that the oranges we were picking were for hungry people who didn't have food. He understood. So, don't let not getting a free ticket stop you from using the opportunity to teach a valuable lesson. And hey, free tickets for the rest of the family is nothing to sneeze at!

:thumbsup2

she will still be helping if the organization allows it. She totally understands what it means to give and help others. She has donated so much stuff to needy families. I was just curious why a 6yr old can do it but not a 4yr old. thats all!

Hey, it's an awesome question. Im as curious as you are.
Just offering encouragment to ya to not let it discourage you from doing it anyways. :) But sounds like you already have instilled a good sense of charity in her. That's awesome. :)

My DH and I were chatting about this just the other day. The answer that we came up with was any younger than 6 isn't necessarily going to understand that they are volunteering/helping someone else out, which is the point of the program. This doesn't affect me, but it does my sister. But the way that I see it, if they can save money and 4 other tickets (2 ch/2 ad) then having to purchase 1 ch ticket isn't so bad.
I would agree strongly with this. And if you follow some of the other threads you will find people who have already volunteered and done the work are continuing their volunteers which, I think, is the real intent of the program.

I'm really confused. So can just one person from a family volunteer and the whole family gets free tickets?

Each person individually must be registered with HON and perform whatever service they sign up for and have the service completion reported by the agency to HON. A person may register an entire family (but not more than eight people). But each individually must perform the service after signing up.

A certificate is valid for one ticket in the name of the person to whom it is issued, and nobody is allowed more than one certificate. The only time multiple people are involved with one certificate is if the bearer had a valid multi-day ticket (including any type of AP) and they want the Fastpass alternative, which can be given one to each member of the party but no more than six people.

I have to disagree that under 6 doesn't know they are helping.

At my 5yr olds school they were talking about the Haiti disaster. She had been saving her money for a webkinz but instead took it to school to donate to help the kids in Haiti???? There was no prompting for her to do this.

At my 5yr olds school they were talking about the Haiti disaster. She had been saving her money for a webkinz but instead took it to school to donate to help the kids in Haiti???? There was no prompting for her to do this.

Thats awesome!! You've brought her up right mom! :yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter