Why we didn't get any free souvies as resort guests:

I'm using the term 'pin' to = any trivial commemorative gift. When I saw that $500 pre-order I just really felt the corporate greed and it was sad.

A little souvie something on 10/1 would have been magical, sorry you don't see it that way.

It's like this pixiedust: :welcome: :hug: :smickey:
Honestly I was trolling you, and I probably should have kept it up as you were strung along pretty good. I don't disagree with your overall statement but I don't like condescending remarks made to other posters so thats why I did it.

Honestly I was trolling you, and I probably should have kept it up as you were strung along pretty good. I don't disagree with your overall statement but I don't like condescending remarks made to other posters so thats why I did it.
Not sure I am following you, please explain?

There will be no Emporium-style stuff in here.

Disney did miss an opportunity to do something a little special for its resort guests to make their day magical. I will never forget we had breakfast at Topolino’s Terrace on New Years Day 2020 … it was so expensive, fixed price, probably $500 for the 6 of us … but they gave us each a special pin themed to the resort and the day, and a special iced cookie also themed to the resort, and a little bag of candies. We felt like we hit the lottery. If they had phoned it in, we would have left feeling ripped off. Little things like that matter. No one wants to feel taken for granted when they’re digging deep in their wallet for the Disney experience.

I figured no one can get into another person's head so I emailed the big guy. I tried to ask in a nice way and I kept it short. I'll let you know if I get an answer. :smickey:

I still don’t get it. They gave out posters at the park where the celebration was happening. That’s apparently not good enough. I guarantee if they would have put something small in everyone’s room, then people would have been on here complaining about how cheap it was. We are honestly to a point where no matter what Disney does, people can’t wait to come on here and complain about it.

I still don’t get it. They gave out posters at the park where the celebration was happening. That’s apparently not good enough. I guarantee if they would have put something small in everyone’s room, then people would have been on here complaining about how cheap it was. We are honestly to a point where no matter what Disney does, people can’t wait to come on here and complain about it.
On the other hand, they could string Mickey up in town square and there'd still be people who'd frame it as a refreshing change lol. I think there is a lot of negativity, but that's only because we love it so. Remember the opposite of love is not hate, but indifference!! It will be worse the day we stop caring enough to complain at all.

On the other hand, they could string Mickey up in town square and there'd still be people who'd frame it as a refreshing change lol. I think there is a lot of negativity, but that's only because we love it so. Remember the opposite of love is not hate, but indifference!! It will be worse the day we stop caring enough to complain at all.
Is this going to be a daily ceremony or will he just hang there the whole time? What about when it rains?

If they had, people would be complaining too. What about DVC - do they get it, or just non-DVC rooms? Why should Pop or All-Stars get pins when they're not paying as much as the people at Deluxes? How dare they not include APs? There are three pin-collectors in my room how can you only give us one pin? I'm certainly not cheerleading for Disney and think they have bungled about 80% of this celebration, but the idea of expecting a pin/other trinket - and being actively upset that you didn't get one - is kind of ridiculous IMO.

By the way, if "paying full rack rate without discounts" is the criteria, then almost every person for the past year is entitled to a pin. Just saying.

I'm certainly not cheerleading for Disney and think they have bungled about 80% of this celebration, but the idea of expecting a pin/other trinket - and being actively upset that you didn't get one - is kind of ridiculous IMO.
I could say the same about many of the comments on these forums. I can assure you I am not actively upset, for ex yelling at my kids or crying? Is that what you mean? It's hard to guess what others are thinking beyond the font, so I try not to.

It's the internet, and I get to pick my complaint. It is not less valid than your complaint because you have a different point of view. :smickey:

#keepscrolling

People seem to be getting fixated on the fact that the OP didn't get some sort of trinket which is understandable given the post however it really does miss the point. Disney has always attempted to promote themselves as beyond the standard business, they weren't focused solely on the profit, it was about the magic. Little touches such as small gifts helped promote that because as a customer we knew they weren't obligated to offer such things so it made it seem like Disney really was about more than just the bottom line. It was malarkey of course but as long as guests walked away from their experiences feeling they had gotten more than they paid for there was an accumulation of goodwill towards the brand. Recent moves have made some guests look at Disney as just another you-get-what-you-pay-for-and-nothing-more business. I still expect I will enjoy my upcoming trip but when I look at it as just another financial decision it makes it harder for me to justify spending a lot of money on future trips. I doubt I'm alone in beginning to look at a Disney vacation as more of a financial decision and it will be hard for me to justify the high cost when there are other quality options out there competing for my disposable income.

Well stated!
I don’t think the OP’s expectations were out of line at all. I don’t think their “entitlement” is showing either. I do think that Disney missed a valuable opportunity to remind people of what had previously set them apart. It used to be common practice in the travel industry that when customers paid top dollar for a momentous occasion, that the companies would reward that and build loyalty by commemorating it with a “gift” of a small trinket that is unavailable to those not there.

See, that's where I'm pretty much at now, indifference. I will say that I agree with OP in that Disney missed an opportunity to sprinkle a little pixie dust. But, I think I'm more put off by the fact that the whole 50th celebration day was obviously more about merch than celebrating the park(s) and the magical experiences that people have had in those parks for the last 50yrs. All of it speaks to the fact that the bottom line is no longer guest experience, it's the bottom line.

See, that's where I'm pretty much at now, indifference. I will say that I agree with OP in that Disney missed an opportunity to sprinkle a little pixie dust. But, I think I'm more put off by the fact that the whole 50th celebration day was obviously more about merch than celebrating the park(s) and the magical experiences that people have had in those parks for the last 50yrs. All of it speaks to the fact that the bottom line is no longer guest experience, it's the bottom line.
Well there must be a little bit of interest left in you or you wouldn't be here right?! I'm depressed about it but honestly feeling really hopeful with the future opening of Epic Universe. Not only for the product Universal will be offering, but for the fire I think it's going to light under Disney. They simply won't continue to stay this popular & profitable without some positive changes, especially when they have to compete with Nintendo World. Mario vs Mickey should be a great fight lol.

FWIW, the point here to me isn't the absence of a pin or a trinket. To me it's an apparent Disney Parks trend that's moving away from Magic and toward a cold corporate P&L culture.

Our fondest WDW memories over these past 35 years are small gestures Disney made that cost them a few dollars but bought them boatloads of goodwill from our now multi-generational Disney family. A few (of the many) episodes that come to mind:

- White chocolate monorail and strawberries placed in our room at the Contemporary
- A random cast member handing out pins to guests on a bridge near Test Track
- The chef bringing out a paper chef's hat and putting it on our daughter at a restaurant that occupied space in what is now The Epcot Experience
- The staff at Skipper Canteen bringing out unsolicited a canteen cup emblazoned with "Happy Birthday" for my wife on her birthday
- Oswald recognizing my wife wearing a pin of him and instructing his handler through hand signals to give my wife another Oswald pin (at Disneyland)

I could list many of those moments. Each one cost Disney a few dollars, but that investment bought our loyalty which repaid the cost many times over.

Nowadays it seems Disney is inordinately focused on dollar-consciousness, and it hurts. DME elimination, resort parking fees, FP+/Genie, reduced mousekeeping, ExtraMagic Hours being restricted to deluxe resort guests, etc. are manifestations of this that have been implemented at what seems to be breathtaking speed. And fireworks-reduced "kisses goodnight" shows at Epcot and MK point in that direction too.

Maybe it's covid. Maybe it's Chapek. Maybe it's neither (or both). But whatever it is, it's palpable to me, and if Disney wants to hang on to its earned-over-a-lifetime image of being exceptional, it needs to look for every moment it can to spend a little on Magic in the short term to reap much more in returns in the long run. That's why I think OP's suggestion was a good one.

Disney made $21.5 billion in profit in 2020. That was 21% less than 2019, but in the quarter ending in June of 2021, its profits were up a whopping 49% from a year ago.

That makes stockholders happy, I'm sure. And I'll bet it fattens Chapek's bonus. But if it comes at the expense of long-term guest goodwill and loyalty, is it worth it?

I guess we'll see...

Last edited:
FWIW, the point here to me isn't the absence of a pin or a trinket. To me it's an apparent Disney Parks trend that's moving away from Magic and toward a cold corporate P&L culture.

Our fondest WDW memories over these past 35 years are small gestures Disney made that cost them a few dollars but bought them boatloads of goodwill from our now multi-generational Disney family. A few (of the many) episodes that come to mind:

- White chocolate monorail and strawberries placed in our room at the Contemporary
- A random cast member handing out pins to guests on a bridge near Test Track
- The chef bringing out a paper chef's hat and putting it on our daughter at a restaurant that occupied space in what is now The Epcot Experience
- Oswald recognizing my wife wearing a pin of him and instructing his handler through hand signals to give my wife another Oswald pin of (at Disneyland)

I could list many of those moments. Each one cost Disney a few dollars, but that investment bought our loyalty which repaid the cost many times over.

Nowadays it seems Disney is inordinately focused on dollar-consciousness, and it hurts. DME elimination, resort parking fees, FP+/Genie, reduced mousekeeping, ExtraMagic Hours being restricted to deluxe resort guests, etc. are manifestations of this that have been implemented at what seems to be breathtaking speed. And fireworks-reduced "kisses goodnight" shows at Epcot and MK point in that direction too.

Maybe it's covid. Maybe it's Chapek. Maybe it's neither (or both). But whatever it is, it's palpable to me, and if Disney wants to hang on to its earned-over-a-lifetime image of being exceptional, it needs to look for every moment it can to spend a little on Magic in the short term to reap much more in returns in the long run. That's why I think OP's suggestion was a good one.

Disney made $21.5 billion in profit in 2020. That was 21% less than 2019, but in the quarter ending in June of 2021, its profits were up a whopping 49% from a year ago.

That makes stockholders happy, I'm sure. And I'll bet it fattens Chapek's bonus. But if it comes at the expense of long-term guest goodwill and loyalty, is it worth it?

I guess we'll see...
100% agree with this. It's BYOM (Bring Your Own Magic) at Disney right now. Because You Are The Magic (your wallet, that is) :maleficen

Well there must be a little bit of interest left in you or you wouldn't be here right?! I'm depressed about it but honestly feeling really hopeful with the future opening of Epic Universe. Not only for the product Universal will be offering, but for the fire I think it's going to light under Disney. They simply won't continue to stay this popular & profitable without some positive changes, especially when they have to compete with Nintendo World. Mario vs Mickey should be a great fight lol.
The entirety of my interest right now is to keep current for an upcoming trip. We're redeeming three days of resort stay and park tickets given to us by Disney from a very bad experience in 2018. We're only using it now because my wife is walking in her graduation in Orlando in March, otherwise it might have gone unused. I have nothing else planned after that and am highly unlikely to plan anything in the future. I am the "every other year" Dis-nerd that Disney has lost by their actions over the last several years. Once this trip is in the past you're not likely to see me here anymore.

But the fact that someone expected it is why they don't do it. WDW gives everyone a pint -- and then the conversation becomes "$1000 a night and we only got this stupid pin! I remember when they used to do so much more!" and that becomes your post or your tweet.

In an age or internet expectations, they can't win. So unfortunately, they don't try.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter