"Wicked" at Pantages Theater in Hollywood

skbaker

Earning My Ears
We'll be at Disneyland in June and are thinking about getting tickets one evening to ge see "Wicked" at the Pantages Theater in Hollywood. Have any of you done that, and if so, how was your experience? What's the travel time between Disneyland and the Theater? How are the balcony seats? Any thoughts you have would be helpful.

We have tickets for May so I won't have a review until then. When the Lion King was playing at the Pantages, we drove from Disneyland to Los Angeles to see the 8:00 pm performance. We left before the commute and ate dinner near the theater. The drive was less than 1 hour.

We've seen Wicked twice in Chicago. It's great! It's perfect for the whole family. My youngest is 6 and he really enjoyed it.

Have a fun time. :)

I saw Wicked on Broadway with the original cast it was AWESOME!!! Everyone in the theatre was cheering :cheer2: You'll have a great time.

Thanks for the info on this. I didn't know the show was playing in Hollywood. Just managed to get 2 tickets for Sat 18th November in the circle. Went for the cheapest as the layout of the theatre looks like there should be no sightline issues.

You are so lucky! I wanted to Wicked, but didn't get the chance when it was playing in my area. As for the balcony, I'd say if you can afford better tickets, get better tickets. The balcony is fine, but it's usually high up and/or set back so it's harder to see the actor's faces, etc. If you do end up in the balcony, bring a pair of (small) binoculars so you can see the details of things better.

You should find out if the theatre is really steep because you might miss out on seeing things that happpen in the back of the stage or up high. Also, depending on the height of the balcony you might end up missing any special effects that depend on height above the audience. For example, in the Phantom of the Opera the chandelier rises up from the stage at the start. It's a very cool effect if you're below it, but not so cool from above because you can see all the rigging and wires.

I've seen several shows at the Pantages, including "Wicked". Going again next weekend.:yay: The show is awesome and it is a wonderful, historic theater. We generally try to sit in the orchestra area, but if you sit in the first few rows of the balcony, you will still have a nice view. We have tickets for the 8 pm show. Traffic into the LA/Hollywood area is never very good, no matter what time of day/night, but if you leave early, you should be okay. I leave the Long Beach area before 3, get great parking at one of the lots across from the theater, window shop for a bit, have dinner in the area and wander to the show. Have a great time :)

I just bought tickets to Wicked at the Pantages...I got Orch Center 209 & 209 in "U" section. Am I going to be grumpy? We are flying into LA from Oregon just for the weekend to see the show. What cool (cheap) things can we do in Hollywood during our "one short day" trip? Thanks for any help.:surfweb:

Anyone have a guess as to how long a drive from San Diego to the Pantages in Hollywood? If not too far we may add this to our trip. Thanks!

Anyone have a guess as to how long a drive from San Diego to the Pantages in Hollywood? If not too far we may add this to our trip. Thanks!

With NO traffic, the trip from San Diego to the Pantages would take just over a couple of hours, but traffic is ALWAYS an issue here in SoCal. Certain days are better than others. Not too long ago, some friends of mine drove up from SD to watch "Wicked" and misjudged the traffic. They missed the first 30 minutes of the show.

I'd give myself at least three hours to get to Hollywood just to be on the safe side. If you catch a matinee on the weekend, go early and have a nice lunch at the restaurant right next to the Pantages: http://www.hollywoodandvine.us/

We saw it last month and thought it was WONDERFUL! The LA cast does a great job. :)

Thank you for the quick reply. We REALLY want to see the show! It would be hard to pass this opportunity if we can make it work with our current plans.

The Pantages theatre only has one mezzanine/balcony level, and the seats there, even in the front, are much farther away and higher from the stage than most theatres; something to consider when you are buying tickets.

When in Hollywood, it is always fun to visit the Disney Studio Store and Ice Cream Parlor.

We are staying 2 nights in Hollywood at the Magic Castle Hotel on May22 &23. I just bought tickets to see the show on the 23.

I'd just reiterate that you want to allow PLENTY of time to get there.

We went just last month. :thumbsup2

I believe MapQuest put our drive time at approx. 40 min from the Disneyland area. We left about 2 hours prior to our show (Sunday matinee) Traffic was horrendous! DH pulled up in front of the theatre and DD and I literally ran in as they were announcing final seating call. DH still had to park, so he missed the first 20 minutes or so of the show, as there is a late hold. (He did say that he was able to watch on monitors in the lobby)

We had orchestra seats in the 100 section about row L - we thought that was just about perfect. The mezzanine/balcony didn't look too bad to me. I'd just try to stay as far forward and toward center as possible (heard a couple of folks who were seated way out on the sides complaining about sound issues)

LOVE the show and thought the LA cast was great!

ok here's my 2 cents - we went with a city sponsored event on a Saturday night March 24th????- 8 pm show. we ended up leaving at about 6:10 got there at around 7:20 pm - had enough time to visit the ladies room -get our souvenirs and then catch our seats. We live about 25 miles out and traffic unfortunately is bad. Especially on a Saturday night. I really suggest allowing yourself 2-3 hrs just to be on the safe side - sounds like a lot but by the time you find parking and walk to the theatre you might have 20 minutes like us and we were dropped off in front!

We had balcony or mezzanzine seats row L - the theatre is beautiful a throwback to the past and while there is not a dress code - I suggest something nice but comfortable. The parking is horrendous but the exit is worse. Fortunately for us, as the play let out - our bus managed to pull up right in front of the theatre but even then it took about 10 minutes to go about 200 ft. Traffice lights and signals combined with Saturday night traffic is bad. There are several lots to park in but be prepared to pay roughly $10 or more for prime spots or you can park around the corner and walk. There also is a subway not too far maybe a couple of hundred feet away but not sure which line it is out there.

The balcony seats are pretty nice - but then again - I was just happy to be going - plus I only paid $35 each for the seats so I was bound and determined to enjoy myself. If your in the balcony - take binoculars as they will allow you to see details - I got them (bring your own or you'll end up paying $10 a pair for them) and they were nice to check out the dresses but as an avid OZ fan - I kinda enjoyed watching the whole thing and taking it all in. While the seats we had were pretty open - the only time I had any problems was when one scene involved rising to the ceiling - then the scaffolding momentarily obstructed the view but this was only 1 time. There is no flash photography allowed so if you want to take pictures do it in the lobby or before you sit down. Take just a small one as the seats are pretty tight. If you unlucky you may have some tall person in front of you but where there is a will, there is a way!

You'll enjoy the show - its hilarious and lots of laughter - everyone was cracking up - bear in mind though that the t-shirts and other momentos are pretty expensive. You can also get them online after the show if you want PM me if anyone wants to know where to look. Don't want to break any rules and post here.

Lets see - Balcony - good - if you go with the idea of having a good time - you'll enjoy it. Parking is a bear and can be bad but a little patience goes a long way. Fwy is pretty close but can be a little tricky to manuever. I'm about 15 minutes from DL and so on a Sat or Sun night I'd allow 2 1/2 hr - 3 hr to be safe. There's a couple of places to eat right next door and on the corner - a hot looking club and bar on the corner - couple of nightclubs further down the street. I don't recall 'securtiy guards' but you should be pretty safe - then again - they may have been there I was just in LA LA land - also, take some extra $ - when we went - the cast was offering up a signed Wicked poster by all the Cast for a $100 dollar donation to benefit the LA Hospice Hospital and one other charity - CC were accepted but cash gets you in and out right away! No food in the theatre but drinks, water snacks etc - just no food. If you have any other questions, just let me know. Fwys are close a couple of turns but even then upon leaving it took about 15 minutes to get to it and its less than a mile away! :eek: Enjoy - hope this helps!

WOW - what a great show!!! We were a group of 70 and sat throughout the balcony area. Even in the back of the balcony, the sound was perfect and we could see everything.

The traffic was horrible. It took us almost 4 hours to drive up from North San Diego county on Friday afternoon. We left just after 3:00 pm and arrived a few minutes before 7:00 pm. Luckily, the bus dropped us right outside the theater.

Snacks were expensive - $3.50 for a cookie and $4.00 for a bottled water. The t-shirts started at $30 and the sweatshirts were $68. As we exited the Pantages, some people were selling Wicked shirts on the street for $15.

If you have the chance, I would get tickets. I have been humming the songs all weekend.

We saw it a couple of weeks ago for a sunday matinee. We sat 6th row orchestra center. I grew up in the area and have to tell you that traffic during the weekends is WORSE than the weekday. If you are coming from Anaheim then traffic is slow past the 91 to the 605. It picks up again but is awful once you get past Downtown LA on the 101. It will take you at minimum 1.5 hours to get there. If you haven't purchased your tickets yet, you may be out of luck until September. I did get word that they did release some tickets for shows in May and June but not sure if they are still available. You can wait in line for tickets at the box office on the day you want but that may not always be guaranteed but you are probably more likely to get tickets for a weekday rather than a weekend.

If you do get to see it, you can meet some of the cast outside backstage. Once you leave the main theater and just before the lobby, exit to the left and you'll see a door leading outside to the street. There's a small alley way where you can meet some of the cast members.

I'm planning on seeing the show and I was wondering - do they check for cameras? I'd like to go up a bit early with my camera and get some exterior shots of the theater and some of the stuff nearby, but I'm worried about leaving my camera in the car while I'm watching the show. Will I be allowed in with a camera, or do they have a coat check where I could leave it?

I'm planning on seeing the show and I was wondering - do they check for cameras? I'd like to go up a bit early with my camera and get some exterior shots of the theater and some of the stuff nearby, but I'm worried about leaving my camera in the car while I'm watching the show. Will I be allowed in with a camera, or do they have a coat check where I could leave it?

Been there for several other productions and don't recall a coat check. They won't allow you inside the theater with a camera or recording device. If you do try to take a photo (even with a camera phone), and if you have the pleasure of having the usher we did in our section, she'll make a big stink out of it. We sat orchestra section right next to the stage with all of the Wicked groupies. We have an expensive HDV camera in addition to a dslr w/all its lenses which we left in the trunk of the car at the Pantages parking lot. Leave you camera in the trunk, it'll be fine. I know people that have been living in the area (n/ne of the theater) and the area is really not that bad...just a bunch of hollywood industry people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter