• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Will Disney Soon Be Moving To Regular Capacity?

Currently on break working the SW spooktacular, we're all being super safe still, sanitizing trick or treat stations constantly, contactless candy giving, distance character meets.. it's all working really well
ETA well this is the completely wrong forum, sorry @rteetz

Well, even if wrong forum glad it was going well ... I do love the little candy slide things they came up with - might make something like that for Halloween this year

If the crowds I’m seeing on YouTube is any indication either park capacity has increased dramatically or the resort occupancy rate has. I saw a 70 minute wait for pirates and space mtn. during the week. If this is the case it may be time for the return of Fastpass.
Yeah, I was supposed to be there this week. Watching wait times, I was very glad I cancelled.

I think with all of it we have to wait and see what happens. Personally it is concerning and if I had a trip scheduled within the next ~month I wouldlikley cancel ... But "concern" doesn't mean it absolutely will become a disaster

I know people who have died from Covid, several members of my team at work (who are all younger and healthier than me) we hospitalized for weeks from it, I am of the "better safe than sorry" so glad my area is taking it slow ... But only time will tell what the impact will be
The thing is, we don't have to wait and see how it goes. We've already attempted the "act like nothing is going on" act twice, playing it out for a third time won't change the results.

Removing restrictions makes me significantly less likely to go.

ETA: I think lifting some restrictions can be fine if you do it intelligently. Removing mask requirements wholesale is the opposite of intelligent right now.

Last edited:
If the crowds I’m seeing on YouTube is any indication either park capacity has increased dramatically or the resort occupancy rate has. I saw a 70 minute wait for pirates and space mtn. during the week. If this is the case it may be time for the return of Fastpass.
I don’t think capacity has been raised at all. Until Labor Day only Hollywood studios got to capacity for annual pass holders only. It was wide open for resort guests and ticket holders. Now most parks are hitting the max limited capacity across all categories. They probably went from 10-15% in Hollywood studios to 30% and that’s why the lines look longer. And in other parks from 5% to 30%.

I'm ready for 100% capacity, buffets, and bumping up against people all the time during parades and fireworks.
I know 100% of the people are not ready for those experiences and I know the executives at Disney know this as well. I believe it will be at least another 12 months before you see Disney at 100% capacity.

It is not a case of open it and they will come.
Your wishes made me smile!! I never thought I too would wish for 100 percent capacity with elbow bumping, getting dining reservations six months in advance, crowded busses and monorails, and/or waiting in lines BUT all means a return to "normal". I like you am ready. :) Smiling, wishing, dreaming ....................................................

I don't believe Disney will go to 100% capacity this year. They'd need to reopen more hotels and add fast pass+ back even it's it a paid thing which I'm thinking it might turn into.

I drove there from Georgia on Sept. 21st and stayed the week.
Driving from Georgia I felt safe and it was easy. On the drive down, I packed a picnic lunch and only stopped once for gas and once at a rest area to eat lunch and use the rest room (I was solo). Didn't have any issues or feel unsafe although I do use a glove when pumping gas and use hand sanitizer after that.

Hollywood Studios sure felt like 100% capacity with it's hour long lines everywhere. I was there on Saturday, Sept. 26, 2020. That was also the park where I saw more people not wearing their masks correctly or constantly removing them even in lines for the rides. And in one case, in the car behind us two people completely removed their masks on the ride.

it is already difficult to social distance in Hollywood Studios and it was also the case in Magic Kingdom on Sunday Sept. 27, 2020. I was only there for 1/2 a day before I drove home.

At home, I only go out for groceries and when needed gas for the car unless I'm needed at our office. Since there is only 2 of us there I feel safe. I've got so many hobbies that it's not an issue for me to be home - plenty to do there. In January through March I usually stay home most of the time anyway - I call it hibernating. LOL

Also I did think the Cavalcades I saw were really cute. And I actually liked those better than parades!

I’ve heard more stories about compliance issues at Universal than at Disney. Universal also has narrower pathways (in general) and more congested areas (Hogsmeade, Diagon Alley). At universal, pretty much everyone has to enter and exit through one relatively narrow pathway to the garages.

Was at both last week. Universal felt waaay safer than WDW. TMs actively enforced mask issues. "forced" the use of sanitizer before you got on the ride.

WDW at DHS and DS especially felt like a free for all. Lots of noses showing and little to no enforcement from CMs.

I'd be more worried about safety at Universal than Disney.
Why? From what I've been hearing, Universal seems to have a better handle on things and is more organized than Disney when it comes to the pandemic procedures. I haven't been myself, but reading from people who have, most say they were super pleased with Universal's handling of it.

Hollywood Studios sure felt like 100% capacity with it's hour long lines everywhere. I was there on Saturday, Sept. 26, 2020. That was also the park where I saw more people not wearing their masks correctly or constantly removing them even in lines for the rides. And in one case, in the car behind us two people completely removed their masks on the ride.

it is already difficult to social distance in Hollywood Studios and it was also the case in Magic Kingdom on Sunday Sept. 27, 2020. I was only there for 1/2 a day before I drove home.
/QUOTE]

That is absolutely 100% as good as it's ever going to get though. No one can control that many people and that many people are never ever going to follow rules to a T. This is it. We're dealing with humans in the most self centered era that I've ever witnessed so we truly can't expect any better than what we have now.

We can only worry about our own selves with this whole thing and the people that flip out (and not saying you because you certainly didn't sound like you were flipping out, but in general) over what other guests are doing or getting away with, are simply NOT going to have a good time at a theme park. In fact, it's probably the very last place those people should be since of course it's not a have to situation.

I don't really know, and this is just my guess, but I would think that the majority of people going to the parks right now are more of the mindset that have been pretty lax about the masks and sanitation in the first place. I mean, to me, I don't see the super paranoid, or mega-rule follower being ones who think of a theme park as a wise choice of things to do right now. I'm sure there are some, but I doubt they make up the majority.

700,000 have had positive tests for Covid since March. This does not mean there are 700,000 people currently walking around with it. Yes, there are 2,000 - 3,000 new tests per day. However, due to the nature of the PCR tests, it’s hard to determine who’s actively infected and contagious.

14,000 deaths and rising. A vast majority of these deaths happened in July and August. There is a considerable backlog so expect this number to rise.

If you are concerned, don’t come. Wait until this passes.
Thank you for the suggestion. I can’t believe I didn’t think of that.

I understand what you mean, but I think it's more about common sense than being nonchalant right now. Trust me I am with you and agree with your post. I just see @Pyotr 's post differently.

No worries. She’s right. I don’t have to go to Disney world. I can stay in lovely Minnesota where our governor, some would say has been too careful. At the end of the day, I just need to make sure my family is safe and under the current circumstances, us going to Florida for any kind of vacation is purely insane. That’s only my opinion but only I know my family’s health situation and it really is not a good idea. Does it make me a bit sad? Yah. But I’ll live and so will my family and we’ll just save for that Hawaiian vacation in 2022!

Why? From what I've been hearing, Universal seems to have a better handle on things and is more organized than Disney when it comes to the pandemic procedures. I haven't been myself, but reading from people who have, most say they were super pleased with Universal's handling of it.
Yeah, they’re at least on par. On any given day you’ll run into a few people being (mostly) non self aware in either resort. Even less people being downright belligerent. The cast/team members are the shining light at both, helping remind people without being confrontational.

I don't expect full capacity till Q1 next year. Also fireworks will likely be back by spring or possibly once a week at MK much sooner.

It is my opinion that if they lift the mask mandate and simply recommend it, which I believe is their next step, likely by end of Q1 next year, they will have a huge influx of visitors. Anecdotal but I know many people waiting till masks aren't required to visit. But most the people I know are in their 30s and not concerned with the virus anymore than they're concerned with getting the flu or getting in a car accident. I respect people who are fearful for whatever reason and I hope they stay safe and healthy.

Life is full of risks. Life must go on.

I don't expect full capacity till Q1 next year. Also fireworks will likely be back by spring or possibly once a week at MK much sooner.

It is my opinion that if they lift the mask mandate and simply recommend it, which I believe is their next step, likely by end of Q1 next year, they will have a huge influx of visitors. Anecdotal but I know many people waiting till masks aren't required to visit. But most the people I know are in their 30s and not concerned with the virus anymore than they're concerned with getting the flu or getting in a car accident. I respect people who are fearful for whatever reason and I hope they stay safe and healthy.

Life is full of risks. Life must go on.
I think you're right. I think there are a lot of us that aren't staying away because of the virus, but because of the inconvenience of wearing a mask. Keeping all of those germs trapped in your face for hours on end is not a good thing to do. Not at all how those masks were meant to be used. It's going to be interesting when masks do become "recommended" and not mandatory. Between the mask wearers and non, I can only imagine the rifts and arguments we're going to witness. I predict, the number one used sentence in WDW is going to be, "If you're that paranoid, don't come to a theme park". lol Where's the popcorn cart?

I think you're right. I think there are a lot of us that aren't staying away because of the virus, but because of the inconvenience of wearing a mask. Keeping all of those germs trapped in your face for hours on end is not a good thing to do. Not at all how those masks were meant to be used. It's going to be interesting when masks do become "recommended" and not mandatory. Between the mask wearers and non, I can only imagine the rifts and arguments we're going to witness. I predict, the number one used sentence in WDW is going to be, "If you're that paranoid, don't come to a theme park". lol Where's the popcorn cart?
Disney won’t move to recommended masks until after there is an effective vaccine. Disney will be one of the last places in the country to have mandatory masks. Especially since there have been little to no issues with people actually being there wearing the masks. Yes it may be keeping a portion of travelers away (for whatever reasons) but the majority of travelers have done just fine with them. Disney won’t want the optics of moving to a recommended mask situation. And frankly, if they did, I wouldn’t be going anymore.

Disney won’t move to recommended masks until after there is an effective vaccine. Disney will be one of the last places in the country to have mandatory masks. Especially since there have been little to no issues with people actually being there wearing the masks. Yes it may be keeping a portion of travelers away (for whatever reasons) but the majority of travelers have done just fine with them. Disney won’t want the optics of moving to a recommended mask situation. And frankly, if they did, I wouldn’t be going anymore.

The early reopening of Universal, which according to some insiders caught Disney of guard, shows us that Dis will likely follow Universal.

The optics won't be bad for Disney if Universal does it first. And I imagine Universal will lift their mask requirement shortly after the county allows it. I could still see them keeping it required for any indoor theater though.

We will likely not have a vaccine available to the healthy 45 yr old and under masses for a few years. Eventually we'll just have to accept the risks and move on. Some clearly already have. Disney can't afford to wait years for a widely available vaccine (few business in their industries can).

Guess we'll see what happens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter