Will I go to jail for this?!?!

4mickeyfans

I teach in WDW!
First and foremost, I must say I'm thrilled to have found this new forum. While I've always thought everyone on the DIS was a dis-loon just like me, this board goes even further and just may be my perfect niche! I have already sworn to myself that once school's out for the summer, I will purchase EVERY program mentioned and start designing! In the meantime, I'll just have to be content "borrowing" the absolutely unbelievably creative designs I've found here. I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE YOU ALL DO THIS FOR FREE but I know the feeling of wanting to share when you're proud of a creation. :teeth:

All that being said, here's the point to my post. I have been asked for years if I'm worried that the "Disney Copyright Police" will discover me and shut me down. I have turned my classroom into WDW and literally, every aspect of my classroom procedures is Disney based (they earn fastpasses for good behavior/ walk the plank and sign my POC binder when they have a conduct infraction...you get the point?!!?)

Anyway, I've always answered that as long as I'm not distorting any of the images and I get my clipart, etc. through legal :smooth: channels, no harm, no foul. Of course, secretly, I'm praying that some legal rep for Disney traveling through my small town doesn't sniff me out!

So...how do you all feel about this? When you're "dis"igning, are you creating from scratch and then using borrowed clipart? Do the Disney programs mentioned give carte blanche to create without law suit?

Of course, I am only throwing this out there for debate. I really think Disney has bigger fish to fry but we've all heard about their famous law suits so I was just wondering if anyone had any input as to whether or not "dis"igning is legal.

On a final note, I bow :worship: to the DDA gods and goddesses and just know, I can only hope to be like you one day - maybe we can compare ideas in adjoining cells!!!

As long as you aren't selling anything you are fine. If you are doing it for personal use, you are completely legal.

By the way, welcome! Join in anytime. And be sure to post your designs so we can all see and become inspired.:sunny:

several of us are married to attorneys and you can rest assured that we know what we can and cannot legally do -

when I was in Disney someone asked where I got one of my shirts and I said I made it and he said - well as long as you don't sell them

Disney is well aware this board exists -

Yea!! I'm in the clear! :cool1:

I certainly don't have any intentions of ever selling my work but I must say it's a shame...this would be the perfect way for a stay-at-home mom to make a little money! Still, if non-profit keeps the Disney police away, I can be more than content to share and "profit" from knowing someone else is happy!

So, Julia & Nick's mom, I was actually going to try to track you down. I made another post looking for Mardi Gras designs but more importantly, asking how I'm supposed to borrow and credit a DISigner's work. I saw tons of things in your gallery that I'd love to use in some form or fashion but I didn't know how to go about doing that. Do I just copy and paste and then do my own wording and send you a copy? Also, how do I give you credit...do I just post it here or do I need to add something to the design that mentions the creator? Thanks, your work and all the others I've seen are inspirational!

Have you seen Julia and Nick's Mom's behavior chart yet? I thought of that straight away when I read you were a teacher. I know I would have done anything to be good on a chart like that! :goodvibes

4mickeyfans said:
First and foremost, I must say I'm thrilled to have found this new forum. While I've always thought everyone on the DIS was a dis-loon just like me, this board goes even further and just may be my perfect niche! I have already sworn to myself that once school's out for the summer, I will purchase EVERY program mentioned and start designing! In the meantime, I'll just have to be content "borrowing" the absolutely unbelievably creative designs I've found here. I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE YOU ALL DO THIS FOR FREE but I know the feeling of wanting to share when you're proud of a creation. :teeth:

All that being said, here's the point to my post. I have been asked for years if I'm worried that the "Disney Copyright Police" will discover me and shut me down. I have turned my classroom into WDW and literally, every aspect of my classroom procedures is Disney based (they earn fastpasses for good behavior/ walk the plank and sign my POC binder when they have a conduct infraction...you get the point?!!?)

Anyway, I've always answered that as long as I'm not distorting any of the images and I get my clipart, etc. through legal :smooth: channels, no harm, no foul. Of course, secretly, I'm praying that some legal rep for Disney traveling through my small town doesn't sniff me out!

So...how do you all feel about this? When you're "dis"igning, are you creating from scratch and then using borrowed clipart? Do the Disney programs mentioned give carte blanche to create without law suit?

Of course, I am only throwing this out there for debate. I really think Disney has bigger fish to fry but we've all heard about their famous law suits so I was just wondering if anyone had any input as to whether or not "dis"igning is legal.

On a final note, I bow :worship: to the DDA gods and goddesses and just know, I can only hope to be like you one day - maybe we can compare ideas in adjoining cells!!!

The kids you teach sound like very lucky kids, and it sounds like you are teaching the next generation to be Disney lovers, they should love you not suit you as you are gaurenteeing them future followers which generates sales for Disney.

itdjbw-

Thanks! The kids DO love it! In fact, most of my students had me for 1st grade and now 3rd grade again - they were so upset when they thought I wouldn't do a Disney theme again. My principal had asked me not to because (in her words) 3rd grade is much too old for Disney - DO NOT FLAME ME, FLAME HER!! Anyway, it was too funny the day she mentioned this because she was trying to compliment me and my teaching and said "You're just SO much more than Mickey Mouse"...as I looked down at my Mickey t-shirt, Mickey watch, holding my Mickey purse - you get the idea - I said, "Um...appparently I'm NOT!!" Anyway, I reluctantly agreed to "tone down" my kingdom and then once the kids started crying for more she caved and the rest is Disney history! I just can't imagine teaching without all my "friends" and the kids absolutely adore it! Yes, in case any Disney police are watching, they are all contributing to the profit margin and many visit the parks every year.

Stenogoddess....WHAT BEHAVIOR CHART?!?! I looked in J & N's mom's gallery but didn't see anything...sounds like a must have for me :teacher:

I shouldn't really jump in on Kate's behalf but she's taken the charts down for the time being - I think she was looking into a way to get them taken on by DIsney as it's such an original idea.

Kate I hope you don't mind me saying this...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter