Will laminating invalidate a birth certificate?

MoreMouse5

Earning My Ears
Sounds like the jury is still out on whether birth certificate IDs for kids must be certified copies or plain old copies from the copy machine. I have certified copies, and will need them several times over the course of our trip. Each of my children has a GAD voucher, so I'll need to have at least one birth certificate with me each day, depending on which voucher we plan to use. Then I'll have to carry that birth certificate around with me the rest of the day (or put in in a locker). I'm thinking of laminating all three (certified) birth certificates so I can stick them in my bag and not worry about them getting torn or wadded up as we navigate the parks each day. Anybody know if this will invalidate the birth certificates in any way?
:confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :confused3

Hmmm..I can't see why it would..but then I have to ask..why do you want to laminate your birth certificate?
Then again..if there's a raised seal...laminating might interfere with it?

Sounds like the jury is still out on whether birth certificate IDs for kids must be certified copies or plain old copies from the copy machine. I have certified copies, and will need them several times over the course of our trip. Each of my children has a GAD voucher, so I'll need to have at least one birth certificate with me each day, depending on which voucher we plan to use. Then I'll have to carry that birth certificate around with me the rest of the day (or put in in a locker). I'm thinking of laminating all three (certified) birth certificates so I can stick them in my bag and not worry about them getting torn or wadded up as we navigate the parks each day. Anybody know if this will invalidate the birth certificates in any way?
:confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :confused3

I don't believe the jury is still out, unless someone reported a problem I didn't see. The FAQ states that a copy, not a certified copy, is acceptable and I believe this was verified.

nothing to do with Disney but...FWIW...I used to work for CDN gov't and we would not accept laminated documents of any kind as they could be fakes...

Laminating a birth certificate will invalidate it as an official document.
If you are getting a passport for instance you cannot have it laminated.

BUT since many agencies do not know the new rules many will accept them even though they are laminated.

If you laminated it before they changed the rules you would be stuck.
I would suggest against it since getting a new stamped official copy is a pain.

I don't see why you would not just put it in a plastic sheet protector so you can get it back out when you need it.

Just take a plastic zip lock bag to keep them in. It's not like they can't be replaced if they get ruined, it might cost you a couple of dollars, but still cheaper than replacing a driver's license or passport. You should've seen the ones I gave my kids when they needed them as adults. They had food stains on them and were sad, but they still work. I work for the USG and no, we can not laminate anything, even when using my commuter train ticket, we have been warned that it will not be accepted if laminated. Personally I wouldn't do it, or you may find yourself having to reorder them later, which defeats the purpose of laminating them. This is not an issue for any of my grandkids (ages 1 to 16) as they all have passports and we take them when we travel.

Do NOT laminate an official copy of a birth certificate. You only need it in certain circumstances anyways, and lamination invalidates it. In most states, there is a raised seal (like a notary seal) and laminating will flatten it.

A legible photocopy is acceptable to Disney for the GAD program and that is all you should bring.

If you want or need something more official, I HIGHLY recommend getting a passport for the child.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter