Will the new state department warning affect your Europe summer vacation?

I'm just curious if the latest alert issued by the state department is going to affect your summer travel plans to Europe?

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/europe-travel-alert.html

We're not going to Europe this summer (we're going to Disney :groom:), but if we were, I wouldn't let it affect me. I already know that the terror attack risk is omnipresent in Europe & don't need the State Department to alert me of the fact. On principle, I don't believe in curtailing our enjoyment of life for fear of terrorists. We're much more likely to die in a car accident, but we keep driving every day. The risk is there but small, and I'll take it rather than live in fear. What will be, will be.

Last edited:
Sadly this is now the world we live in so I won't let us stop us. We aren't going to Europe but if we were it wouldn't change our plans. Sister in law went to France only a few weeks after the attacks and then has been in Israel at least once a year for several years.

I personally think if we all start living in fear then the terrorists have won. I could die of a million different things so it is going to happen when it happens.

Last edited:
That alert is not exactly new. It has been out since at least the attacks in Belgium, if not since the attack in Paris. They have just updated it to show upcoming major events. I look at it the same way I would if the super bowl was in NYC, or if the US were hosting the Olympics - it's a heads up to pay attention in areas that could be a target.

I'm headed to Europe twice this year for vacation. I will not allow those whose goals are fear and intimidation succeed. I'll be alert and use common sense but not going to stay home.

Considering the USA is a terrorist target and has in fact been attacked by terrorists as recently as 6 months ago I don't think Europe presents that much of a danger.

Nope, not affecting me at all. I will be vigilant & observant, but I'm always that way when I travel. I know a lot of people dropped out of the River Cruises, most likely because of terrorism, but I've always been of the firm belief that if you let it affect you, the terrorists win. I purchased a plane ticket the day after 9/11 to fly to WDW.

Sayhello

Last edited:
Nope, not stopping us. We leave in 3 days for 3 weeks in Europe. A 10 night Med cruise from Barcelona to Athens which includes a stop in Turkey and a week at a beach resort in Mykonos. Life's too short to let fear control your every move.

We are waiting until next year for our next European Adventure, but more so because DD is waiting to hear about a permanent position as a CM after two internships. But, I have to admit I'm a little relieved that we don't have Italy planned this summer.

Paris and Germany in a month. Italy/Switzerland in August.

According to my buddy Rick Steves the odds of being a victim of terrorism is 1:20,0000,000. Unless those odds increase, I will "keep on traveling".

Nope. I can't control what the terrorists are going to do whether it is here or there. So, I'm not going to dwell on what might happen. We could all die tomorrow from some unexpected event. If I make it to 90 some day I don't want to look back at the last 40 some odd years and have regrets because I was worried about "what if".

We leave for Ireland in 3 weeks and then from there to Budapest for the first ABD river cruise!

No it won't change my plans, for one it's a poorly written overly broad worthless let's put this out there to cover our butts in case anything should happen statement, and for another I live a reason based life rather than a fear based one.

Have no intention of changing my plans. For one thing, the events listed in the warning are actually far more secure because they are huge events, so security around them are going to be heightened. I stand a greater chance of being hit riding the subway or going to the mall, which are soft targets because there are so many people and they are not easily evacuated. We're off to Central Europe in September and South East Asia in February. Trips are going on as planned.

Is it safe to travel to USA ?

Shootings in a lot of States ..... Orlando this weekend ... overseas tourists are worried .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter