• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Will you expect Disney to be fully operational when cruises start back up? For the price, I surely hope so...

Disney1fan2002

<font color=red>Like OMG the TF is SOO psyched to
It doesn't seem like Disney is discounting their cruise fares in the slightest, so I would expect, for them to sail again, they will need to have no restrictions. Meaning, full entertainment, food, alcohol and pool/spa availability.

I just booked May 2022, I'm traveling with friend who has never been on any cruise, nevermind a Disney cruise. I expect her to be wowed by the shows, the dining experience, and even Palo. (or whatever it's called on the Dream)

I don't think anyone can accurately answer that question right now.

I also booked a May 2022 cruise. After having 2020 and 2021 cruises cancelled, I really hope 2022 happens and that any restrictions are such that I can still justify the cost/value equation. I'm certainly not making any plans that can't be changed just yet though.

Expect cutbacks, even if health-related restrictions are gone. They've lost a lot of money and they're going to want to recoup some of those losses. Same as at the parks & resorts. A lot of things have been cut (park hours, daily housekeeping, Epcot monorail, Magical Express, restaurants, in-room dining at most resorts, etc.) that have nothing to do with safety and everything to do with saving Disney money. That pattern will undoubtedly carry over onboard.

Last edited:
Judging from the changes* instituted after the norovirus outbreaks in the early 2000's, which was kind of small potatoes compared to covid, I can't imagine there won't be some changes. Who knows. They may have to reduce seating at Palo, and extend operating hours. They may have to add a seating to the main dining rooms. They may have to reduce seating at shows and add additional performances.

*Hand sanitizer dispensers all over the ship Frequent cleaning of hand rails, door handles, etc. and having a system in place to have servers at the buffets when there is an illness outbreak.

Deal breaker for me will be if they don't have kids clubs. Socially distanced food and entertainment won't be an issue. Also, you know Disney will require the vaccine for all eligible, and probably pre-trip tests, so maybe they won't have to curtail too much.

Look at the theme parks for your answer

^ This. They are not dropping prices one bit at the parks, despite all of the changes. I don’t know why they would do so for cruises.

That said, I would think the OP will be “in the clear,” in terms of mandates/restrictions 14 months from now.

Last edited:
That said, I would think the OP will be “in the clear,” in terms of mandates/restrictions 14 months from now.

I'm not so sure about that. I am beginning to think that life as we knew it will never be the same. It's hard for me to imagine packed crowds anymore, being in a theater sitting next to a stranger, being seated with strangers in the MDRs. That said, I would hope/expect, like a PP said, that for DCL to sail, the shows need to be there. Even it it means adding a matinee to allow for social distancing.

Other cruise lines are offer discounts to get people back on their ships. Disney does not have to do that, and they can raise the prices because they know that there are thousands upon thousands of people just like this:
Not to be all sappy, but honestly, I'll be grateful that they're up and running. :boat:

Disney says "jump" and we ask, "How high?"

I'm guilty of it myself. In 2 weeks, I leave for a week at WDW for the 2nd time since Covid. I think, however, the cruise is not something I can justify paying for if we can't get the true experience. I will cancel.

I'm not so sure about that. I am beginning to think that life as we knew it will never be the same. It's hard for me to imagine packed crowds anymore, being in a theater sitting next to a stranger, being seated with strangers in the MDRs. That said, I would hope/expect, like a PP said, that for DCL to sail, the shows need to be there. Even it it means adding a matinee to allow for social distancing.

I guess we can agree to disagree here.

People in the U.S. had a hard enough time following simple protocols when COVID was at one of its several peaks. They’re going to be even less inclined to comply once things start to taper off, especially on the super-expensive cruise they paid for.

There may be little things here and there that are different on the ships going forward - mandatory hand-washing/sanitizing before entering the restaurants/buffet comes to mind - but permanent social distancing in the theaters? I just don’t see it.

How could you carry that policy through the rest of the ship? In the pools, in the MDRs, in the night clubs? You can’t.

Last edited:

Other cruise lines are offer discounts to get people back on their ships. Disney does not have to do that, and they can raise the prices because they know that there are thousands upon thousands of people just like this:

Disney says "jump" and we ask, "How high?"

I'm guilty of it myself. In 2 weeks, I leave for a week at WDW for the 2nd time since Covid. I think, however, the cruise is not something I can justify paying for if we can't get the true experience. I will cancel.

I do think things will go back to normal. Where we live things are pretty much there. Costco is the last holdout and I was shocked when I went to Costco tonight to see more than half of people barely wearing their masks. I haven’t been there in a few weeks and boy things have changed just in those few weeks. No social distancing lining up for registers or anything. I guess it is just a tidal wave and they can’t force everyone to comply when the majority are not complying. Made me a bit sentimental for the lockdown days lol. Not really, but it was kind of fun, but that’s just because we were lucky and got to work from home and still got paid. But Disney will also be a holdout. And I think everyone on here is right that things will be different on dcl for some time. But even Disney will go back to normal eventually. They will look pretty foolish if they don’t. We went to Hilton head last week and people looked foolish to me personally walking around outside on Disney property with masks. We did it too— it is the rule, you know. But magically once you exited Disney property you ripped off your mask and entered the no mask world where people walked around just fine without masks. It’s surreal of course. When we were waiting to check in a CM was trying to explain it to the older gentlemen checking in in front of us. You could tell that he literally couldn’t process it and kept asking, “I have to wear masks outside on the property?” The CM just finally said, don’t worry, the minute you step off of Disney property, you don’t have to wear it outside anymore. He just shook his head and walked off. He reminded me of mr frederickson.

Also, you know Disney will require the vaccine for all eligible,
Actually, I don't think they will. The newly announced UK staycation cruises do not have a vaccine requirement.

OP - I don't think everything will be "normal" back to the experience from a couple of years ago. The parks did not reduce pricing and they are filling to the limited capacity. However it may be too early for cruising to tell though the newly announced UK staycation cruises may be an early indicator. Keep an eye on that.

Expect cutbacks, even if health-related restrictions are gone. They've lost a lot of money and they're going to want to recoup some of those losses. Same as at the parks & resorts. A lot of things have been cut (park hours, daily housekeeping, Epcot monorail, Magical Express, in-room dining at most resorts, etc.) that have nothing to do with safety and everything to do with saving Disney money. That pattern will undoubtedly carry over onboard.

That's why I'm waiting for a few more years for any cruise. Right now I can't really afford to cruise yearly so when I go I do it right. I'm not going to pay all that money for a reduced experience. I hope those who go have a good time (and sure they will) but to me it's not worth it.

Actually, I don't think they will. The newly announced UK staycation cruises do not have a vaccine requirement.

OP - I don't think everything will be "normal" back to the experience from a couple of years ago. The parks did not reduce pricing and they are filling to the limited capacity. However it may be too early for cruising to tell though the newly announced UK staycation cruises may be an early indicator. Keep an eye on that.

I don't think they are going to have a vaccine requirement until the vaccines are readily available (i.e., anyone can get one), which probably wont be until Summer/Fall.

Celebrity and Royal Caribbean already said they will be mandatory. So of course Disney will follow and go above that and probably demand negative tests and temp checks too.

Disney will be the last company on the planet to relax any restrictions.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5983/

Last edited:
We just booked Royal Caribbean for this July. We are vaccinated. We realize that it won't be the full experience but we desperately need a vacation from our wonderful kids. :) We have also rescheduled our disney cruise to next summer in the Greek Isles. I personally hope that vaccines are required but we shall see.

We just booked Royal Caribbean for this July. We are vaccinated. We realize that it won't be the full experience but we desperately need a vacation from our wonderful kids. :) We have also rescheduled our disney cruise to next summer in the Greek Isles. I personally hope that vaccines are required but we shall see.

I hope they are required too (for ages approved for vaccines). It will greatly reduce the odds of a breakout and cruise being cut short. But it doesn't look like they are required for the UK cruises this summer. That surprises me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter