Wine & Dine 1/2 marathon weekend 2021

I'm a mixed bag as I liked the full showcase loop in 18/19 but I also liked the brief time on sunset in 17.... kind of wish it went down the boardwalk though instead of around crescent lake to Y&B for the 10K

I'm staying at the Poly and doing the 10k. Will I be able to walk to the start? Has anyone done this before? Will monorail be running back at the end?

Well, I now need to decide how much risk is too much risk, OR figure out some way of getting to the start without taking a bus. My 2nd vaccine will be past the 6 month mark, and I was advised not to get a booster due to an adverse reaction to the previous 2, AND I'm high-risk. I'm comfortable being outdoors, with a mask if close to others, and will do short periods indoors if everyone is masked, but trapped in a bus where I KNOW not everyone will mask properly? Feels way too risky. I'm offsite... the only alternative I can think of is to Uber to the Poly and walk? But then I wonder if Ubers will be allowed to get to the Poly at all. Ugh.

Well, I now need to decide how much risk is too much risk, OR figure out some way of getting to the start without taking a bus. My 2nd vaccine will be past the 6 month mark, and I was advised not to get a booster due to an adverse reaction to the previous 2, AND I'm high-risk. I'm comfortable being outdoors, with a mask if close to others, and will do short periods indoors if everyone is masked, but trapped in a bus where I KNOW not everyone will mask properly? Feels way too risky. I'm offsite... the only alternative I can think of is to Uber to the Poly and walk? But then I wonder if Ubers will be allowed to get to the Poly at all. Ugh.
the map posted on the previous page shows a rideshare drop off at the start area --

Does anyone know if spectators for the half would have enough time to get from Boardwalk to Finish line in time? It looks like boardwalk is at mile 11, so assuming a 10 minute mile, it'd be just over 20 minutes to the finish line. My guess is with bus timing, it likely wouldn't be possible.

Same sort of question for DAK. With a 7:30 opening time for resort guests, should my husband even bother going there?

Does anyone know if spectators for the half would have enough time to get from Boardwalk to Finish line in time? It looks like boardwalk is at mile 11, so assuming a 10 minute mile, it'd be just over 20 minutes to the finish line. My guess is with bus timing, it likely wouldn't be possible.

Same sort of question for DAK. With a 7:30 opening time for resort guests, should my husband even bother going there?
no chance to get a bus from boardwalk to the finish. Spectators are usually in the AK parking lot. They can easily get from there to the finish, though it does take extra time since there is a portion of the road closed to traffic on Osceola Pkwy.

I assume the posted expo times are general public and CRD entry is an hour before that righ?

no chance to get a bus from boardwalk to the finish. Spectators are usually in the AK parking lot. They can easily get from there to the finish, though it does take extra time since there is a portion of the road closed to traffic on Osceola Pkwy.
Thank you! So I guess he'll plan on being at the finish line, and maybe DAK depending on how early he wants to get up!

Anyone have any idea how these “start groups” are going to work with the corrals? My speculation is that they will still have the corrals, then in each corral, they will have start groups. Rather than the entire corral moving as a wave to the start, it will be “Corral D, start group 1, move to the start”, and so on. With 12,000+ starters, I can’t see them just having 4 start groups and calling it a day.

Seeing course maps ramps up the excitement so much! Then I was totally deflated over a 2:30 bus start. Wow, that’s early. I have gotten up at 3 for the last couple of races and stumbled onto the first bus, but this just hits different. Time for a pep talk.
Ok, gonna be tired. Gonna get there and then it will be great. Who needs sleep? Me, honestly, but not that day. You got this. Race day energy will carry you!

I'm curious how groups will work if parties are split... I assume you can bump back a start group just not forward
also I will cry if I'm in the last start group in the last coral as in previous years starting near the front of the coral has given me enough cushion to beat the balloon ladies and I need all the cushion I can get as I'm still not in pre-pandemic form

I'm staying at the Poly and doing the 10k. Will I be able to walk to the start? Has anyone done this before? Will monorail be running back at the end?
Following. I'm staying at Shades of Green and planning on doing the same thing. I've heard mixed responses about whether you can walk to the start, the general consensus being yes, you can.

I would just like to give them a little bit of credit. The event guide is not available on the official runDisney webpage right now. So this link came from someone digging into finding it. I don’t think the proofing has been finished yet and is not ready to be ‘officially released’.

I agree- I think it’s pretty clear this wasn’t meant to be public yet- granted it does make it look sloppy to have a half finished website available to the public lol

Anyone have any idea how these “start groups” are going to work with the corrals? My speculation is that they will still have the corrals, then in each corral, they will have start groups. Rather than the entire corral moving as a wave to the start, it will be “Corral D, start group 1, move to the start”, and so on. With 12,000+ starters, I can’t see them just having 4 start groups and calling it a day.
I wonder if they are just changing what we are used to calling ‘corrals’ to ‘starting groups’. 🤷‍♀️

Following. I'm staying at Shades of Green and planning on doing the same thing. I've heard mixed responses about whether you can walk to the start, the general consensus being yes, you can.
If you can walk to the TTC, you can walk the rest of the way in the parking lot to the security check. Poly and GF have been fine to walk, but CR was a no go b/c the path from the sidewalk goes backstage at TTC. Shades has a walking path to Poly so you should be fine - but you still have to go from TTC down the parking lot to security, so it makes it longer.

I know that this is low on the totem pole of concerns for most people, but I wish they would give at least a hint of how character pics are going to go. At the very least I hope we can be NEAR the character, as opposed to them on some raised structure (like they've put some on bridges before up high just to wave at people but not really take pics with). I'm hoping at the very least for something like I keep seeing in Epcot photos - characters behind the fence and you in front of the fence. And not just selfies, I reallly hope they still have actual PhotoPass photographers.
I've been slacking on my training, I need some good character pics as excuses to take breaks😉
You're preaching to the choir. Although I haven't been slacking on my training, I missed the 2 hour cutoff in a HM to qualify for a good start time, so I'm trying to train hard (but, still smart) to get some good character pics. I really hope that there are PhotoPass photographers available for better pictures than my iPhone.

I wonder if they are just changing what we are used to calling ‘corrals’ to ‘starting groups’. 🤷‍♀️

I agree with @MissLiss279 that the move from "corrals" to "starting groups" is the most likely explanation. Not a combination of the two.

2017 Corrals image
Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 2.51.40 PM.png

Compared to the 2021 Starting Groups Image

Looks an awful lot like a replacement of the letter system of the corrals to a number system of starting groups.

My other thought is this. Way back in 2014-2017 (minimally) they used to have 16 corrals from A through P. Then in 2018, they changed to 8 corrals from A through H with mini-waves. One reason they did this was because in the past when they had 16 corrals they were breaking up the estimated 2:45 group into three separate corrals (K, L, M from memory) because their focus was on the same number of people per assigned corral.

Well that led to a lot of people with the same estimated time being separated from their party and assigned a different corral. Lots of emails and lots of runner relations meetings at the Expo because of it. So to reduce those interactions (my guess) runDisney went to the 2018 system with time cutoffs, not equal numbers of people, and mini-waves to break up the timing within the larger corrals. Based on this experience, I don't put a ton of weight on the idea that runDisney is going to go back to something similar in 2021 with a Corral D (s1) assignment vs a Corral D (s4) assignment (if they keep 8 corrals and four separate starting groups, then we're looking at 32 different possible assignments). I think it's a lot more likely that it'll be s1 (for POT runners) and s4 (for back half non-POT runners). There's still some language on the Princess page that they may break up the arrival times of these starting groups further, but that language does not appear on Wine and Dine or MW. Obviously, this is not definitive and like I said earlier we'll know more when the waivers come out, but that's my speculation at this moment in time. Instead of 8 corrals in the past (A through H) we will now see four starting groups: POT, club runDisney, 1st half non-POT, and 2nd half non-POT. It also gives a tremendous boon in value to club runDisney being that they moved the cutoffs time (less people have POT now) and scrunched together all the non-POT corrals from what was six corrals (2:00 and higher) into two "corrals"/starting groups. I'm also not saying this is necessarily the right idea or a good idea, but rather based on runDisney's recent decisions where I think their line of thinking is.

I agree with @MissLiss279 that the move from "corrals" to "starting groups" is the most likely explanation. Not a combination of the two.

2017 Corrals image
View attachment 613149

Compared to the 2021 Starting Groups Image
View attachment 613150

Looks an awful lot like a replacement of the letter system of the corrals to a number system of starting groups.

My other thought is this. Way back in 2014-2017 (minimally) they used to have 16 corrals from A through P. Then in 2018, they changed to 8 corrals from A through H with mini-waves. One reason they did this was because in the past when they had 16 corrals they were breaking up the estimated 2:45 group into three separate corrals (K, L, M from memory) because their focus was on the same number of people per assigned corral.

View attachment 613154

Well that led to a lot of people with the same estimated time being separated from their party and assigned a different corral. Lots of emails and lots of runner relations meetings at the Expo because of it. So to reduce those interactions (my guess) runDisney went to the 2018 system with time cutoffs, not equal numbers of people, and mini-waves to break up the timing within the larger corrals. Based on this experience, I don't put a ton of weight on the idea that runDisney is going to go back to something similar in 2021 with a Corral D (s1) assignment vs a Corral D (s4) assignment (if they keep 8 corrals and four separate starting groups, then we're looking at 32 different possible assignments). I think it's a lot more likely that it'll be s1 (for POT runners) and s4 (for back half non-POT runners). There's still some language on the Princess page that they may break up the arrival times of these starting groups further, but that language does not appear on Wine and Dine or MW. Obviously, this is not definitive and like I said earlier we'll know more when the waivers come out, but that's my speculation at this moment in time. Instead of 8 corrals in the past (A through H) we will now see four starting groups: POT, club runDisney, 1st half non-POT, and 2nd half non-POT. It also gives a tremendous boon in value to club runDisney being that they moved the cutoffs time (less people have POT now) and scrunched together all the non-POT corrals from what was six corrals (2:00 and higher) into two "corrals"/starting groups. I'm also not saying this is necessarily the right idea or a good idea, but rather based on runDisney's recent decisions where I think their line of thinking is.
You’re looking at the 2021 5K map, which only shows 3 starting groups.

Bad news for people staying at Swan Reserve (such as myself). I just got the following from rD:

Dear Jim,

Thank you for reaching out to us to help you plan for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend.

We appreciate your interest in using our transportation during your time with us. The Walt Disney World Swan Reserve will provide transportation during the event weekend.

Kind Regards,

Mariana
runDisney
Walt Disney World Resort
Email: runDisney@disneysports.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter