• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wine & Dine 1/2 marathon weekend 2021

Spent too much time during this morning's run thinking about the time change Saturday night before the HM. What time does my phone update the time? Will the alarm on the phone also change? If I set the clock in hotel is it internet connected and auto update? I think I give myself a 50/50 shot of making to the start line.

DST ends 11/7 at 2 AM. Any cell phone should change that second, so if your alarm is set later than 2 you will never know, you'll just get the extra hour of sleep. If your alarm is set at 155 you will be up an hour early. Tough one for anyone wanting to be up right at 2am, I'd set it for 201

Spent too much time during this morning's run thinking about the time change Saturday night before the HM. What time does my phone update the time? Will the alarm on the phone also change? If I set the clock in hotel is it internet connected and auto update? I think I give myself a 50/50 shot of making to the start line.

I'm fully expecting to see 4 giant start groups for the 10K and half. But then IDK why they bothered to use any language about using start groups "to follow health and safety guidelines." Stuffing thousands of people into bigger groups isn't safer than spreading them out.

Honestly, I'm mentally prepared for a big ol' mess, with few knowing what the heck is going on, lol! I'll bring an extra snack in case the starts are delayed, find a spot that's out of the way to hang back, and just enjoy the show. #justhappytobehere is my race weekend theme. :rotfl:

I agree with the prediction that there will be 4 giant start groups. Maybe Track Shack will try using their orange dots all over the start group areas expecting everyone to stick with "one person per dot". lol! Even at their local races that has been getting a bit loose. And, I don't see that scaling to the size of a Disney race for social distancing.

This weekend will be an adventure, that's for sure! So excited!

The language on the Princess page does allude to some sort of timed arrival system coming. It'll be interesting to see how that is handled.
That's super confusing to me, too - why PHM and not the other races for timed arrivals? I really wish an rD/TS insider would come along and explain the reasoning behind this stuff lol!

This messes with me every W&D. I set my alarm for 1:50am, so I'm never sure if the time is right or not when it goes off. I feel like the last one I ran my phone changed before 2am and was correct when my alarm went off. But I don't trust it, so I bring something that has no connection to the outside world, like an analog travel clock or watch, that I can check when my alarm goes off. Or just set it with the 1:50 alarm and set my phone at 2:05 as a back up.

Does anyone have experience walking to the TTC for the start of the race from the Poly? Advice for when to leave, how long it will take etc?

this is my 5th wine and dine (and various other runDisney) but I can’t remember if any of the ones I did started at 5. My brain automatically goes “night time” and “wide World of sports” when I think wine and dine. Even though I’ve done one since it moved to morning, in my mind w&d is just stuck there. I have more successful races in the morning but I sure miss the relaxed feel of the night race in terms of getting to the start.

Here’s what continues to puzzle me:
runDisney will be utilizing Start Groups to follow health and safety guidelines and manage the flow of participants from the staging area to the start of the race.
Note the specific comments about health and safety guidelines and managing flow. In past races, the later corrals were split into two or more sections. If the half is going to have about 12,000 starters as in years past, how would going from at least 12 different groups starting to, say just 4 (s1, s2, s3, and s4) be consistent with those statements? Starting a clump of roughly 3,000 people at once doesn’t sound very safe, even in the “before” time, let alone the flow control issue on the road at the start. It wouldn’t be a “race” so much as a “stampede”
I think we must be missing something here? Perhaps lettered corrals still DO exist, and the start groups are within EACH corral? So, you’d have 12 corrals (actually, I’ll defer to the metrics person on here for the correct breakdown) of 1,000 people each), and 4 start groups in each corral. Each start group is 500 people. Of course that would mean that they would be starting over a 2 hour period which does not make sense either 🤷‍♂️

Has anyone still been unable to sign their waiver? I registered my sister and when I transferred the waiver to her it disappeared from both of our accounts, same issue so many others have had. I’ve sent 20+ emails and called ~10 times a day since the day the waivers were released and no response or change at all. At this point guessing we just show up to the expo Thursday and deal with it then? So excited to be back running in person but this is really putting a damper on my mood, grr

Has anyone still been unable to sign their waiver? I registered my sister and when I transferred the waiver to her it disappeared from both of our accounts, same issue so many others have had. I’ve sent 20+ emails and called ~10 times a day since the day the waivers were released and no response or change at all. At this point guessing we just show up to the expo Thursday and deal with it then? So excited to be back running in person but this is really putting a damper on my mood, grr
Welcome to the Boards!! If you read this thread back a few pages you will see that many people have had this issue; it's not you but their system.

Dealing with it at the Expo is probably your best bet. I don't know what their process will be this year, but in past years it was very easy to print a waiver at the Expo, sign it, and pick up your bib.

rD is probably overwhelmed with emails by now, and sending 20+ probably irritated them more than helped. I offer no excuses for their terrible tech, but their few front line people probably have more critical things to do 2 days prior to Expo than sort our all of their waiver issues.

Don't let bad tech dampen your mood; look forward to a great Disney running weekend!

Last edited:
That's super confusing to me, too - why PHM and not the other races for timed arrivals? I really wish an rD/TS insider would come along and explain the reasoning behind this stuff lol!

I don't have a great answer for this. Why they feel they can implement this new arrival system for a race that's several months away, when the language for that same race appeared several months ago? That's to say, they've had plenty of time to implement whatever they're planning for Princess for Wine and Dine. At least on the surface it would seem they did. I can't imagine it would be overly complex, otherwise they probably shouldn't do it.

My best guess. They want to see how Wine and Dine goes without these new arrival time procedures. If things go well, then the language of arrival times for starting groups will disappear off the Princess website because it isn't needed. If Wine and Dine doesn't go well, then they've got this other system in their back pocket for Princess.

Here’s what continues to puzzle me:
runDisney will be utilizing Start Groups to follow health and safety guidelines and manage the flow of participants from the staging area to the start of the race.

"manage the flow of participants from the staging area to the start of the race."

This to me reads a lot like what they currently do for the 5k/10k. Hold us in an area away from the start line. Then they approached Corral A and walked them up to the starting line. At the back of Corral A at the start line it was empty. And then at some point they walked up Corral B to the start line.

Whereas in the past, the HM was all corrals lined up consecutively. There wasn't a holding area separate from the starting line. Rather, as corral A was released, all other corrals were slowly walking up behind it towards the start line.

So a potentially slightly different way to go about the starting line procedure for the HM. I suspect this may play a role in further spreading out the runners when you have an assigned arrival time as is being currently proposed for Princess. So I suspect their full plan for "utilizing Start Groups to follow health and safety guidelines and manage the flow of participants from the staging area to the start of the race" isn't being fully realized for Wine and Dine.

Note the specific comments about health and safety guidelines and managing flow. In past races, the later corrals were split into two or more sections. If the half is going to have about 12,000 starters as in years past, how would going from at least 12 different groups starting to, say just 4 (s1, s2, s3, and s4) be consistent with those statements? Starting a clump of roughly 3,000 people at once doesn’t sound very safe, even in the “before” time, let alone the flow control issue on the road at the start. It wouldn’t be a “race” so much as a “stampede”

I suspect we'll continue to see mini-waves. You can visually see the mini-waves in this graphic from the 2018 Marathon.

Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 12.14.58 PM.png

There were eight corrals for 20,000 runners. However, there were 25 total mini-waves in the race. So that's their way of slowing the flow so 3,000 runners aren't all released at the same time despite all being assigned s3, or in the previous case Corral D. Now instead, you'd break the people into four groups (s1 through s4) but can still have the 25 total mini-waves if desired.

Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 12.20.04 PM.png

I think we must be missing something here? Perhaps lettered corrals still DO exist, and the start groups are within EACH corral? So, you’d have 12 corrals (actually, I’ll defer to the metrics person on here for the correct breakdown) of 1,000 people each), and 4 start groups in each corral. Each start group is 500 people. Of course that would mean that they would be starting over a 2 hour period which does not make sense either 🤷‍♂️

That remains a possibility. Although the language on the Princess page of specific arrival times for starting groups leads me to believe the language of corrals is gone. Conversely, corrals still exists on the FAQ page for club runDisney. Thankfully we'll see soon in a few days when people begin to pick up their bibs.

Does anyone have experience walking to the TTC for the start of the race from the Poly? Advice for when to leave, how long it will take etc?

this is my 5th wine and dine (and various other runDisney) but I can’t remember if any of the ones I did started at 5. My brain automatically goes “night time” and “wide World of sports” when I think wine and dine. Even though I’ve done one since it moved to morning, in my mind w&d is just stuck there. I have more successful races in the morning but I sure miss the relaxed feel of the night race in terms of getting to the start.

I'm a new member, but have been following the board for years. I've run the Star Wars races in 2017, '18 and '19 and stayed at the Polynesian each time. Walking to the starting line is very easy. There is a paved path to the TTC on the eastern side of the resort, between Moorea and Pago Pago. From there, you walk under the monorail lines and then under Seven Seas Drive to the north end of the parking lot. You just keep walking south and there will be volunteers along the way to guide you. It's about a twenty minute walk. I'll probably leave the Polynesian at 3:40 to arrive around 4:00.

Where do I drop my partner off for the HM?

From the event guide for the HM: "Participants must enter through the staging area within the Epcot parking lot in order to access the start groups and start the race."

From the Transportation section: "Runner drop-off, including rideshare, taxi service and personal vehicle, is located at Epcot for the 5K and Walt Disney World’s Transportation and Ticket Center for the 10K and Half Marathon."

Where do I drop my partner off for the HM?

From the event guide for the HM: "Participants must enter through the staging area within the Epcot parking lot in order to access the start groups and start the race."

From the Transportation section: "Runner drop-off, including rideshare, taxi service and personal vehicle, is located at Epcot for the 5K and Walt Disney World’s Transportation and Ticket Center for the 10K and Half Marathon."

They will need to be dropped off at Epcot, then ride a bus to the TTC. Because of the small start staging area, only runDisney buses are allowed, and anyone driving or being dropped off is required to go to Epcot to catch an official bus.

I had a similar problem with my wife's registration. I did send an email to RunDisney. After a few days they responded with directions on how to get it resolved. Finally my wife was able to see the registration on her account and we completed signing the waiver and getting the entry pass.

They will need to be dropped off at Epcot, then ride a bus to the TTC. Because of the small start staging area, only runDisney buses are allowed, and anyone driving or being dropped off is required to go to Epcot to catch an official bus.

I don’t think that’s correct. This is in the Event Guide:

A3881070-6E58-4707-96F1-587B7330C27C.jpeg

I don't have a great answer for this. Why they feel they can implement this new arrival system for a race that's several months away, when the language for that same race appeared several months ago? That's to say, they've had plenty of time to implement whatever they're planning for Princess for Wine and Dine. At least on the surface it would seem they did. I can't imagine it would be overly complex, otherwise they probably shouldn't do it.

My best guess. They want to see how Wine and Dine goes without these new arrival time procedures. If things go well, then the language of arrival times for starting groups will disappear off the Princess website because it isn't needed. If Wine and Dine doesn't go well, then they've got this other system in their back pocket for Princess.

"manage the flow of participants from the staging area to the start of the race."

This to me reads a lot like what they currently do for the 5k/10k. Hold us in an area away from the start line. Then they approached Corral A and walked them up to the starting line. At the back of Corral A at the start line it was empty. And then at some point they walked up Corral B to the start line.

Whereas in the past, the HM was all corrals lined up consecutively. There wasn't a holding area separate from the starting line. Rather, as corral A was released, all other corrals were slowly walking up behind it towards the start line.

So a potentially slightly different way to go about the starting line procedure for the HM. I suspect this may play a role in further spreading out the runners when you have an assigned arrival time as is being currently proposed for Princess. So I suspect their full plan for "utilizing Start Groups to follow health and safety guidelines and manage the flow of participants from the staging area to the start of the race" isn't being fully realized for Wine and Dine.

I suspect we'll continue to see mini-waves. You can visually see the mini-waves in this graphic from the 2018 Marathon.

View attachment 618960

There were eight corrals for 20,000 runners. However, there were 25 total mini-waves in the race. So that's their way of slowing the flow so 3,000 runners aren't all released at the same time despite all being assigned s3, or in the previous case Corral D. Now instead, you'd break the people into four groups (s1 through s4) but can still have the 25 total mini-waves if desired.

View attachment 618962

That remains a possibility. Although the language on the Princess page of specific arrival times for starting groups leads me to believe the language of corrals is gone. Conversely, corrals still exists on the FAQ page for club runDisney. Thankfully we'll see soon in a few days when people begin to pick up their bibs.
Thank you @DopeyBadger and sorry I forgot your name there!

I'm finding it very interesting that the spectator policy page STILL hasn't been updated. I know that as a rD first-timer coming up in January that I'm pretty interested in seeing how this weekend plays out for a lot of things so I can do more planning.

I was surely hoping for a preview of the race shirts...ugh! Also, Friday 5K might be wet, pack your poncho!
Grrrr. I was really hoping for dry weather. Last thing I want to deal with is wet feet two days before the half. Good thing I’m not done packing. Need to rethink my shoe plan. I’m not so worried about them drying out for Sunday as I am about getting blisters on Friday. My shoes are ready to be retired and for some strange reason I’ve got a blister starting already. Last thing I need is rain. I wasn’t going to bring my rain jacket bc it’s 1,000* in florida when running but I guess maybe I’ll reconsider.

But the most worrisome thing is potential race delays during the weekend. I was there for the”half of a half” wine and dine 2015. It was heartbreaking.

Grrrr. I was really hoping for dry weather. Last thing I want to deal with is wet feet two days before the half. Good thing I’m not done packing. Need to rethink my shoe plan. I’m not so worried about them drying out for Sunday as I am about getting blisters on Friday. My shoes are ready to be retired and for some strange reason I’ve got a blister starting already. Last thing I need is rain. I wasn’t going to bring my rain jacket bc it’s 1,000* in florida when running but I guess maybe I’ll reconsider.

But the most worrisome thing is potential race delays during the weekend. I was there for the”half of a half” wine and dine 2015. It was heartbreaking.

I would definitely bring a second pair of shoes, especially if you have a concern for blisters. And maybe a few blister cushions just in case. And maybe a poncho to wait around in that I would ditch once the race starts. You're right about it being so hot while running.
I kind of love running in the rain, but I don't want to stand around in it for 2 hrs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter