Wish vs Fantasy

Mango7100

DIS Veteran
So we have been thinking of booking a cruise for July and the 90 day window is in a few days for them. Have to decide tomorrow! Party of 3 with DD10. We have been on the Dream 3 times—last time in March. We drive from TN, so Port canaveral can be done in a day drive, but Miami can’t. We were looking at a 4 night Wish in a verandah for $5800, but the reviews and the price per night are concerning. Or we could do 6 night on Fantasy (Western itinerary) for $6500 in an oceanview. Since we have been on the Dream we were thinking the Fantasy would be too similar, but would we get on the Wish and think “I just did this because it’s new and we could have had 2 more days on the Fantasy”. Is the Fantasy different enough from the Dream for it to be a new experience? Which would you pick?

The Fantasy is extremely similar to the Dream but IMO that’s a good thing as they are my favorite ships. What will be different is two of the shows. However if you want a completely different experience- the Wish (while not my favorite) will probably completely charm your 10 yo. You will experience different shows, restaurants, awesome pool deck food, different style of pirate night (best IMO) but the adult areas (especially the pool) are lacking and the trivia venues can be tiny.

If considering the Wish it makes more sense when they are younger vs older- their Vibe is seriously lacking compared to Dream and Fantasy.

I’m with you in that the Wish holds no allure for me. I’m sure it’s lovely, and glad some people love it. I’m just very “meh” on it. We’ve sailed the Fantasy twice and loved it. We’re doing the Dream this summer, and I have to say I will miss La Piazza and The Tube, but I am looking forward to Beauty and the Beast.

Given that you seem to feel the same way I do about Wish, I would give the Fantasy a go. It will most likely feel familiar, yet there will be new things to discover. That’s how I’m feeling about the Dream. 😊

Fantasy is similar to the Dream in most ways. The Wish is a nice ship - been on it twice. Not my Fav - that's the Dream/Fantasy - but nevertheless it is still a very good ship with lots of pluses on its own. Some folks are not fans of the Wish and that is okay whereas others are big time fans of the Wish.

Strictly from an economic standpoint I would do the Fantasy. For $700 more you get 2 more nights. I think that is by far and away the better deal. Now if you want to see the new ship and that has a draw for you then by all means go on it. I don't think you will be disappointed - as it is still Disney after all but have to level set expectations that this ship is DIFFERENT than the other 4 DCL ships - IMO not good different or bad different just different. Some like it some like it NOT.

Either way you are talking about a Disney Cruise so of course it will be great and you will have a fantastic time as always.

I agree with the opinions above, longer is better, Fantasy is a better value, Fantasy is a better ship (IMO), but if you are ever going to do the Wish, it may be best while your DD is young. Fantasy is very much like the Dream except some different theming, and for me that is a good thing as those are my favorites.

Tough one. Ship or itinerary or money or travel to port? As an above poster mentioned - kids clubs.

So I am looking at these factors (which might muddy the water, but weren’t mentioned).

How will getting to Miami impact your time and money comparison?

Do you like the Fantasy ports? Will excursions add to your costs?

If the 90 day window is coming up, are there plenty of cabins still available - with the possibility of GTY rates coming up? (and your being willing to accept any cabin cabin in a category) - or that different cabins could become available with dropped reservations?

Is there a reason to book by the 90-day mark? (excursion booking for Castaway level?)

Tough one. Ship or itinerary or money or travel to port? As an above poster mentioned - kids clubs.

So I am looking at these factors (which might muddy the water, but weren’t mentioned).

How will getting to Miami impact your time and money comparison?

Do you like the Fantasy ports? Will excursions add to your costs?

If the 90 day window is coming up, are there plenty of cabins still available - with the possibility of GTY rates coming up? (and your being willing to accept any cabin cabin in a category) - or that different cabins could become available with dropped reservations?

Is there a reason to book by the 90-day mark? (excursion booking for Castaway level?)
They both sail out of PC which is easier for us to drive to. There is a Magic 5 night out of Miami the same time frame but would add a day of travel going home.

The Fantasy goes to Grand Caymen (would do an excursion), Cozumel (maybe excursion or maybe just stay on the ship), and Castaway. If we did the Wish we would not get off at Nassau so just Castaway. We never do excursions at Castaway. Neither of the itineraries have “I absolutely love these ports” except Castaway. DD has not been to Grand Caymen and I think she would love Stingray City though.

I normally would be Ok with GTY but I am more concerned with getting stuck aft given the issues on Fantasy that seem more noticeable compared to other ships. We did an extended veranda aft (like right by the flag) on the Dream and we enjoyed it but there was 1 night that vibration kept us awake.

The 90 day would be more for booking excursions, pirate makeover, Palo brunch (which we probably won’t get anyway) since we are Silver level.

decisions decisions!

In that case, does one have a better cabin available?
We would do a verandah (regular, not the larger family one) on Wish since the price difference is only 300-400 compared to ocean view and there are hardly any ocean views left. If we went on the Fantasy we would do ocean view (I think 8c) since there is about an $1100 difference between that and a verandah on this particular sailI go we enjoy verandahs, but I’m not sure how much we would actually use it on a shorter 4 night cruise.

We would do a verandah (regular, not the larger family one) on Wish since the price difference is only 300-400 compared to ocean view and there are hardly any ocean views left. If we went on the Fantasy we would do ocean view (I think 8c) since there is about an $1100 difference between that and a verandah on this particular sailI go we enjoy verandahs, but I’m not sure how much we would actually use it on a shorter 4 night cruise.
You don’t have to answer. Again, just food for thought. I will continue if you like this brainstorming session. (Even I waffle on which I would recommend. I don’t use the same reasons every time I have to pick.)

So you would get a Verandah on the Wish, but maybe underutilize it. Or no Verandah on a cruise where you would enjoy it? (It will be HOT in July).

Are the Wish ocean views not very good (in your opinion)? That makes the price difference more like $5400 v $6500 comparing OV to OV?

And are you hoping to do a cruise to Lighthouse Point in the next few years - possibly on the Wish - when you would have the opportunity to try the Wish again?

They say Stingray City is fun. I would check availability (aviator / TripAdvisor is quick and easy for this) for a tour in case Disney excursion is sold out. If outside vendors are not available, you might not get that excursion. You can also end up skipping that port (we did) due to high waves. (It is hurricane season, though not peak - and predictions are for slightly milder season this year).

You don’t have to answer. Again, just food for thought. I will continue if you like this brainstorming session. (Even I waffle on which I would recommend. I don’t use the same reasons every time I have to pick.)

So you would get a Verandah on the Wish, but maybe underutilize it. Or no Verandah on a cruise where you would enjoy it? (It will be HOT in July).

Are the Wish ocean views not very good (in your opinion)? That makes the price difference more like $5400 v $6500 comparing OV to OV?

And are you hoping to do a cruise to Lighthouse Point in the next few years - possibly on the Wish - when you would have the opportunity to try the Wish again?

They say Stingray City is fun. I would check availability (aviator / TripAdvisor is quick and easy for this) for a tour in case Disney excursion is sold out. If outside vendors are not available, you might not get that excursion. You can also end up skipping that port (we did) due to high waves. (It is hurricane season, though not peak - and predictions are for slightly milder season this year).
We actually have the 10 night Southern Caribbean on the Fantasy booked for 2024 and it stops at Lighthouse Point. We were waffling about should we try three Fantasy before we are on it for 10 nights next year just to see how it is, or should we use that time to do a completely different ship?

I’m not sure when or if we would sail on the Wish in the future. DD is 10 so maybe aging out of some kids stuff (she is already not into any princess stuff anymore which I think is heavy on the Wish, she likes the Oceaneer Lab side more than oceaneer Club side on the Dream). I typically don’t love 4 night cruises, it I think the allure is the Wish is shiny and new (which I know isn’t necessarily a good thing).

If Palo brunch matters you are highly unlikely to get it as a silver on the Wish.

If you have the fantasy already booked for the upcoming for the lighthouse point cruise, I would definitely do the wish while your daughter is young enough to really enjoy it.

If Palo brunch matters you are highly unlikely to get it as a silver on the Wish.

If you have the fantasy already booked for the upcoming for the lighthouse point cruise, I would definitely do the wish while your daughter is young enough to really enjoy it.
Oh I know. We had figured there would be nothing left for us to book on the Wish as a silver.

In my mind, it’s really just 3 ship classes - not choosing from 5 ships.

At least on the Magic & Wonder, they vary one of the restaurants - Rapunzel’s & Tianas, with different menus.

On the Dream class, all 3 restaurants (and the menus) are the same.

Wish offers something new in dining (including pool deck food).

Cruising Disney a lot, you do eat from the same menus repeatedly. Your 10-night S Caribbean, you are going to repeat what you had on the 6-night W Med.

The first 4 ships are fairly similar when You are walking around; similar woods, walls.

Based on food and ship architecture, I’d say chalk one up for variety >> Wish. ☺️

And save a little money for next year’s excursions. Next month, our 8-night S Caribbean has 5 port stops, with excursions in each one. (At least they are not Alaska-cruise excursion prices!).

I haven’t sailed on the Fantasy, but I have been on the Dream several times.

I sailed on the Wish last fall and I thought it was fantastic. Sorry, to all the haters. That is one beautiful ship. It is very different in many ways, but also similar.

I can’t wait to sail on her again and I am looking forward to going on the Treasure too.

The Wish is special, the dining rooms, adult lounges, rain forest room, the kids clubs, the shops, the beautiful grand hall and Marceline’s Market , wow! Plus, the Hero’s Zone. I also, loved all the pools, the AquaMouse and I really like the seclusion of the adult pool area.

If you have cruised DCL many times, The Wish is a must. I love a longer cruise. I meet many folks, who did back to back on The Wish.

I love the shorter cruise, when I add on a stay at Disney’s Vero Beach or a few days at WDW.

Good luck with your decision. But, when I cruised on The Wish, I was shocked that anyone could have a bad review. I thought it was very special, very different from the other ships in many ways, but different and new is good.
🚢😎👍🏻🌴💫✨

I would pick the Fantasy over the Wish - I found the Wish to be overly crowded and the layout was very confusing. I also never think 4 nights is long enough to really settle in and enjoy a vacation. I won't sail on the Wish again unless they offer longer cruises and better itineraries.

Fantasy because of itinerary and the Wish has had mixed reviews. Some love it, but it's not for a lot of people (myself included).

As others have said, Disney went with a completely different direction with the Wish. The Dream/Fantasy are kind of beefed up versions of the Magic and Wonder. The Wish is a whole other ball game.

Thanks all! We decided on the Wish since we had just been on the Dream and will be on the Fantasy next year. DD was excited to try a different kids club. Booked an ocean view instead to save some $$ figuring we would not spend much time in the cabin on a 4 day cruise. I know the Wish is different and there are peop,e who hate it and those who love it. I think I just have to see for myself!

I know there are mixed reviews overall but I think that most people agree that the kidsclubs are pretty great. I'm glad DD will get to experience them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter