With all the price increases is it worth even going?

toons1

Earning My Ears
Everything has changed so much in the past couple years. Is it even worth going? Seems nothing is as good as it was. Prices are higher than ever before and quality and service is lacking. Why spend a small fortune? Just wondering everyones opinions.

When were you considering going? If it's late Jan/early Feb 2023, then you should probably cancel (so there are less people in line when I go).

Kidding of course! - the value is subjective. we're going before the kids start kindergarten and then probably not returning for a long time since i refuse to go during the summer and during high crowds. Once we're more mobile (no stroller, etc) we can go see the (actual) world more easily.

The kids still feel the magic, even if I don't, that's still worth something, to me at least.

Last edited:
Disney raises prices every year and it has never been a cheap vacation.

There has been a lot of inflation all over the world (not just Disney World) in the past year and Disney prices are just another log on the fire.

If your budget is tight, or even if it isn't, you don't have to spend a penny on Genie+, lightning lanes, after-hours parties, dessert parties or deluxe resorts. And you can have a great time! It is also much easier to leave at parks close without a giant bag of expensive stuffed toys.

As for changes, a lot has changed for sure. There is a lot of new stuff to see if you haven't been in a few years. New fireworks shows, new attractions, new areas. Plus more stuff is returning as they scale up staffing.

There is a large cesspool of negativity out there on many fronts, but you don't have to swim in it.

If you are happy about going on vacation, you will have fun.

One of the saddest things I see in the parks are people stressed-out, overtired and miserable because they "must have fun and do everything" or they spent big bucks for a "perfect trip," and then a ride is down and all hell breaks loose.

Don't go to that place!

We used to go every year, but we now only go about every 4 years. This December will be our first trip back since 2018. My daughter graduates this year, so that is our reason for spending the money this year, but for us personally we will use the money to discover new places in the future. We do like to stay at WL for a few nights, but our last part of the week will be at the Swan using points and this is still easily our most expensive vacation. I also will pay for Genie + because I hate standing in long lines, so I know we will enjoy it and feel the magic, but we will only be going back again when I have grandkids, so who knows how long that will be! For now, we will just enjoy the anticipation of the December trip and make some great memories to cherish as we have done in the past! I know every family sees value in a different way depending on their circumstances, so I do think there will still be lots of folks who continue their annual trips. I will get my Disney fix by watching videos of the rides and remembering all the trips we made and the smile on my little girl's face each and every time!

For us, it's certainly no longer the annual (or occasionally more frequent!) destination that it once was. More due to the increased hassle/decreased magic than for the price increases, though the prices aren't fun either. This past summer we literally booked a week at the Dolphin and did 100% non-park activities because I just didn't feel like dealing with park reservations, daily 7am scrambles for VQs/Genie+/ILLs, lack of preshows, etc. Can't really do that with kids though.

We'll probably be back when there's enough that's "new to us" but isn't the latest hot thing everyone is scrambling to see.

Disney raises prices every year and it has never been a cheap vacation.

There has been a lot of inflation all over the world (not just Disney World) in the past year and Disney prices are just another log on the fire.

If your budget is tight, or even if it isn't, you don't have to spend a penny on Genie+, lightning lanes, after-hours parties, dessert parties or deluxe resorts. And you can have a great time! It is also much easier to leave at parks close without a giant bag of expensive stuffed toys.

As for changes, a lot has changed for sure. There is a lot of new stuff to see if you haven't been in a few years. New fireworks shows, new attractions, new areas. Plus more stuff is returning as they scale up staffing.

There is a large cesspool of negativity out there on many fronts, but you don't have to swim in it.

If you are happy about going on vacation, you will have fun.

One of the saddest things I see in the parks are people stressed-out, overtired and miserable because they "must have fun and do everything" or they spent big bucks for a "perfect trip," and then a ride is down and all hell breaks loose.

Don't go to that place!
That is correct! It has never been a "cheap" vacation, however, to me cost, when connected with value, was level. It is no longer the case. The two do not line up comparatively with the past. It is much more cost then value now.

I remember, not that long ago, when people were hauling backpacks of bottled water because it costs $2.40 a bottle (or whatever it was at the time). Less expensive but it came with two convenience challenging things. One was hauling it around all day like a pack mule and the other was drinking warm to hot water by the time one needed it. To me the value was connected to those two things. Never one to believe that feeling water was a constant need. My body told me when I was thirsty and I'd stop and pay a higher price to buy ice cold water when I needed it. It's more expensive now, of course, but not to the degree that everything else has risen.

When I would make that argument I would be lambasted with criticism about spending that extra cost when you could haul you own in or walk out of your way to beg the food service locations for a cup to put ice and water in for free. That additional effort was not worth it to me because I found a value in paying the long price. But man it was a large group of people telling me that it was foolish to spend that much for water. To me, however, it was worth it.

To emphasize the change in attitudes now, it is OK to spend hundreds of dollars per day to experience things that were once included as part of the admission fee and everyone is just fine with that. From what I can figure is that if not now, shortly, the $100.00 plus cost for admission will only pay for you to walk around or stand in long lines. If you want to maximize your experience it is almost mandatory that you pay more and more and more for the single cost experience we once were able to have. Just mind blowing to me. :confused:

I went last month and it was the best time I’ve ever had there as an adult. As others have said it is a personal decision. But for me, the way I like to vacation, and where I am in my life situation the magic was absolutely there.

I’d suggest pricing out a vacation. Figure out what you would want to do during that trip and what you’d have to do to accomplish it and then decide if the value is there.

Have fun in whatever you decide.

Everything has changed so much in the past couple years. Is it even worth going? Seems nothing is as good as it was. Prices are higher than ever before and quality and service is lacking. Why spend a small fortune? Just wondering everyones opinions.

If the cost of a Disney vacation to you is a small fortune (like it is for me), it's not worth going.

For those who have a lot of spare money lying around, using it at Disney is as good as any other "want" purchase. For those who don't, there's a LOT of other bang for your buck you can get in many places and for many things, EVEN in a time of unbelievable inflation...

If you are not a morning person and want to use Genie+ and LL, waking up at 7am daily would ruin my vacation. I am a morning person by force since having kids and work, so I don't sleep past 7am anyway most of the time. If it was my brother, or other friends, they would absolutely say "this is not a vacation". This is just an example of how different people will react differently to the changes. I don't like them, but my teenagers love Disney and I will suck it up because I only have a few years left of them wanting to go on vacation with me!

For perspective, every resort has gone up and charges all kinds of different fees. We went to Margaritaville Hollywood Beach in August, and the prices for food and coffee were insane. More than Disney. They also had resort fees. So, I think when I put it in perspective, vacation is going to cost you more anywhere you go (for the most part, I realize there may be exceptions), so go where you enjoy your time. We still very much enjoy our time at Disney.

For us, it's not worth it for two reasons: price increases and the hassle of planning the trip. We are going in two weeks as a goodbye trip because I need closure. I had once dreamed of taking several long trips to WDW after my retirement in 2020. Covid hit right as I retired, and everything changed. Disney changed, but so did I. I realized it's not how I want to vacation. Disney just helped me realize it. We had purchased APs right before the shutdown in 2020. We are just going to hang onto them until sometime in the future. We may take future grandkids one day. But when I use them, I want to make sure I take at least two trips in a year. This is just my opinion. You have to decide if it's worth it to you. It is a very personal decision.

We had an absolutely wonderful 9 day trip at Saratoga Springs in a 2 bed villa in early August for our family of 5. We have averaged 1 trip a year for 15 years (and are Gold Castaway Club members as well). Even with the amazing trip, we have not booked a 2023 trip and will almost certainly wait until at least 2024 because of all price increases. Not being able to purchase Genie+ in advance and now having variable pricing is a big hit for five people. It was also stressful having to be on your phone by 7am to get the most out of Genie+ or get that ILL.

Food prices are what particularly hits hard. We do a lot of table service. More insanely priced buffets and prix-fixe dining is frustrating with three children (2 of whom are now charged as adults), a non-alcohol drinking vegetarian husband, and my petite 125 lb self that just doesn't eat that much. $35 just to get afternoon ice cream for all just feels ridiculous. Can we afford it? Yes. Does it feel like I'm getting even a remotely decent value even by historic Disney standards? No.

I think this really comes down to the individual and is pretty personal.

Right now it's worth it to me because I go with one other person (DD16 or DH) and not a family of 4 so costs aren't as high. For what I'm paying for DD16 and myself to go in a few weeks it's pricey but for me it's worth it for me.

If I were still taking a family of 4 I would not see it being worth it. I have taken some amazing family vacations for a fraction of the price of a Disney vacation over the last 7 years (last Disney family trip was 2015).

We had an absolutely wonderful 9 day trip at Saratoga Springs in a 2 bed villa in early August for our family of 5. We have averaged 1 trip a year for 15 years (and are Gold Castaway Club members as well). Even with the amazing trip, we have not booked a 2023 trip and will almost certainly wait until at least 2024 because of all price increases. Not being able to purchase Genie+ in advance and now having variable pricing is a big hit for five people. It was also stressful having to be on your phone by 7am to get the most out of Genie+ or get that ILL.

Food prices are what particularly hits hard. We do a lot of table service. More insanely priced buffets and prix-fixe dining is frustrating with three children (2 of whom are now charged as adults), a non-alcohol drinking vegetarian husband, and my petite 125 lb self that just doesn't eat that much. $35 just to get afternoon ice cream for all just feels ridiculous. Can we afford it? Yes. Does it feel like I'm getting even a remotely decent value even by historic Disney standards? No.
what is the rationale between waiting to go to 2024 because of price increases? prices won't go down. it will stay the same best case scenario, but almost 100% it will go even higher in 2024. unless you mean waiting longer to save more money??

Unfortunately things won't go cheaper. that won't happen. nothing will get better.

It's still borderline worth it for us. We just won't go as often. For things to get cheaper, it would take a big recession, which would give us other problems.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter