Wk of May 21--2007 WISH Walking/Running Club

chimera

<font color=deeppink>WISH Racing Team Member<br><f
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we're a group of people who are planning to participate in walking/running events throughout the year. Some of us are training for the 2006 Disneyland Half and for the 2007 WDW Half/Full marathons. We'll also be posting news/training for various other events throughout the year. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us, whether you're training for an event or walking/running for fitness!

Here's the Marathon FAQ, a great place to answer your marathon questions:
Disney Marathon FAQ
And some websites for further running/walking info:
http://www.runnersworld.com
http://www.coolrunning.com
http://www.halhigdon.com
http://www.running4women.com/
http://www.runnergirl.com/index.shtml
http://www.katherineswitzer.com/fitness.html
http://www.irongirl.com
http://www.marathonguide.com
http://www.marathonwalking.com
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com
http://acefitness.com/getfit/freeexercise.aspx
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/
The John Bingham site:
http://www.waddleon.com/
Jeff Galloway's site:
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

Race Etiquette with Miss Road Manners

Pacing Calculator

Good training everyone!

akasleepingbeauty Rhonda TX
aladdinsgirl Krista OH
AmyBeth68 Amy NJ
Andrea718 Andrea NY
andromedaslove Dana FL
Buckalew11 Brenda TN
budbeerlady
Calcio Craig MA
CarolA Carol GA
Cheryl N. WI Cheryl WI
chimera Mel FL
Chropistopy Christy GA
Cingoutload GA
crzy4mk Michael GA
crzy4pooh Lynnda FL
debm IL
DianeL Diane
DisneyGirl Marissa
disnygoof Christiana SC
DJBounce Darcey IA
donac Dona NJ
escape
goingthedistance Paul NM
goofyguy1958 Mike
gradtchr Beth TX
hmgolden Helen NY
Hockeychic Kim CA
hockeygirl Laura NY
Honeibee Judy NY
icunurse_celeste Celeste IL
Jen117 Jen WI
Jodi Jodi CT
jodistar Jodi CT
k_hase Kim NY
karebear1 Karen OR
Kareneast Karen NJ
keenercam Cam DE
KeenHo Howard DE
KeriZ Keri CA
Kim10110 Kim
Kimickey Kim MD
Kimwim8 Kim NJ
Kristi1357 Kristi NH
lillouisianagal Claire LA
Lisa Loves Pooh Lisa FL
littlegreydonkey Helen NZ
lizdotcom99 Liz IN
magslite Maggie IL
maherae Anne
maryliz maryliz ON
MdmMim
MelRhoads Melissa AR
MickeySP Lisa MA
Minnie Suzy
monte Monica CO
Mouse Skywalker Dave NY
MouseDogMom Jackie NC
msblrobs Sara NY
NYCpa Kathy NY
ohMom OH
Papa Deuce PA
perfectmatch300 Nancy FL
plutosmyfav Sunny MA
princessmomma Colleen NC
Rachael Q Rachael CA
RunningLilo Dena FL
sap1227 Christy FL
sara
ScoJo15 Scott GA
skfulkers Steve OH
solotraveler Kevin MI
Stenogoddess Lauren GA
stitch lover sith Erin
TammyNC Tammy NC
taz4disney CJ IN
TEK224 Terri PA
TiffJ Tiffany AL
TigerLily03 Lily OH
TnTsParty FL
TXBelle Heather TX
Viking Eric GE
Wbgirl Melissa MN
WDWfan 9 Pat IL
wfloyd Bill FL
wiskband Renee NY
wtpclc Carrie MI
xterratri Lynne ME

4 miles for me today at a 13:10 pace! :cool1:

:welcome: Michael! Yep...there's a new thread every week...we're a pretty chatty bunch :grouphug:

Howard...good luck on your marathon!

Christa...I imagine you can do most anything you set your mind to :) Great to see you back! Please tell Bree congrats and we all said hi! :wave2:

Scott...great pace on your 5K! Congrats! I think we have our own little chapter of RA going here ;)

Amy...wtg on your 6...fab splits! :banana:

Dave...how was your race?

Eric...I'm officially nominating you for membership as a big dog :dog: That Fuerteventura place sounds pretty hardcore!

Speaking of dogs...I think we may need the dogcatcher...we're missing a bunch of folks! Craig, Claire, Cathy, Mike, Celeste, Maggie, anyone else who hasn't posted in awhile, give us a drive by and let us know how you're doing!

Krista, Steve...are ya back from WDW yet?

Tiff...when is your tri?

Carrie...don't you have a race coming up too?

Cam...how's the hip?

Judy...I'm right there with ya...I still have a hard time calling myself a runner. I run more than I walk now, but still would love to break a 10 minute mile someday.

I'm afraid I've woken up the PF again...apparently it doesn't like the TM. We're leaving for vacation next Friday and I'm torn between giving myself a week off to try to heal it and taking my stuff so I can run at WDW. We'll be staying at SSR and running through DTD early in the a.m. has a certain appeal (yep...sign me up for RA too ;) )

Have a good week everyone!

ScoJo15 said:
Hello everyone! Got back a while ago from my 5k Race today....ran a personal best on the hilliest course I've experienced yet, came in with a 28:55!! I was so motivated that I signed up for a 10k (first one of those for me) on Memorial Day. If I keep this up I'm gonna need to join RA (Runners Anonymous...1st step is admitting you have an addiction...lol).

Anyway, hope everyone has a great weekend!! Go WISH team!

Hello, Scott, Welcome!
(We double as an RA when necessary) :lmao:

Great job on your PR! Can't wait to hear about the 10K!

I went to the Y today for a very low-intensity wo. I think I'm ok. I did a total of 32,000 lbs on the FitLynx machines (as opposed to 80,000) and 30 minutes light rowing. I can't wait to really wo again.

Hello my name is Sunny and I'm a RA in withdrawal :crazy: :furious: :crazy:

Christa - I KNOW you can do the tri. Don't worry about time, just worry about doing the best that you can...and when you finish it you will feel so great about your accomplishment!! Besides, you are part of the WISH team and a member of RA so you are already way ahead of the game ;) Lining up at the starting line is what it is all about so I say GO FOR IT!!

Sunny - Um....80,000 lbs??? rrraaawwrr.... lol. Seriously, nice work and I bet that rowing was a great workout...

Mel - Yep, wanting to run thru DTD is definitely RA type material...welcome to the club! Great job on the 4 miler that you ran.

Dave - Thanks for the kind words and encouragement!

Michael - I think that you will beat 52 minutes in your 4 miler. You're progressing so well...thanks for the support and I hope your training is going well....

Amy - What can I say but thank you so much....you've been my biggest supporter and I can't thank you enough. Glad to see that you got another 6 miler in and did it at such a great pace! Let's see if this week will treat us a little better than the last one :)

Mel! Great pace on your run this week! :cheer2:

And it's funny you thought of Claire.....CLAIRE??? Where are you...we miss ya' honey!!! I was thinking about her today and wondering if all was okay?!?!

Scott.... :teeth: :goodvibes You are a ROCK STAR!!! I kept thinking about your run today and I'm just so proud and impressed! It gives me so much inspiration for my 5K coming up in a few weeks. I will be happy to better my first 5K time and feel great afterwards. AND....I just KNOW that this week will be great for us! I think I'm going to adjust my Tuesday and change my run:walk intervals a bit to allow for 4 run, 2 walk just to give those legs a break and see if that makes it easier. Thursday I'll do my typical 5:1 and next weekend I am up to 7 miles!!! :thumbsup2 :grouphug: I'm SOOOOO proud of you!!!!!!! WTG! :woohoo:

Sunny.....Ohhhh...I just love those fitlynx machines! I used to belong to a gym that had the system and it was such a motivational way to keep track of my progress. But now I am pretty much doing the marial arts/KBX thing so I dropped the gym membership. Not that I'm complaining...but I DID love that system! Glad you're feeling better too....now don't push it too much!!! :grouphug:

Morning Everyone,

Just a quick post for right now - yesterday, I got my act back together and went for my PT session. We did circuit training.....It felt so good to get back to exercising after taking last week off.

Next Sunday - is my first 10k, god I hope it's flat land. Unfortunately, they just don't give you enough information about the races.

Well, I have to catch up on posts

Good Morning TEAM: :surfweb:

OK, I am up, hydrating, and going to have a Clif Bar before my first 10k in 8-10 years (funny, seems to correspond with the age of my oldest princess). I'm a little nervous about my race. I feel confident I can make it through the distance. I've put in the steps (as Lily would say), but I'm wondering if my legs are going to be bothering me the whole time. Well, I'll find out in a couple of hours.

Before my race I wanted to share something I posted on the T-shirt thread. Sunny came up with a phrase for the back of the shirt "WISH gave me the courage to start", and it really sums up my experience. But also for me the support I've gotten from my fellow TEAM mates has really kept me going for these 4 months now.

I found this group because I was coming off a trip to WDW over Labor Day 2005 and trying to figure out how to get back. Along that same time I decided that I needed to start getting some exercise. I used to be a runner and decided that I wanted to get back to that. I literally stumbled upon this group. Lily invited me to join, and you all have really kept me going for 4 months now. That's the longest I've run or exercised consistently in about 8-10 years. And in a couple of hours I'm going to run in a 10k.

Jodi and Amy - I look at you two as my compatriots - brothers and sisters on the team. It seems like we joined the TEAM at the same time and started around the same place/level. Thank you both for all your support. I'll be thinking of you all during my run. Oooh, this is weird - I feel like this race is changing something in me. I feel like this is an ending of a sort, but maybe it is more of a beginning.

Mouse Skywalker said:
Jodi and Amy - I look at you two as my compatriots - brothers and sisters on the team. It seems like we joined the TEAM at the same time and started around the same place/level. Thank you both for all your support. I'll be thinking of you all during my run. Oooh, this is weird - I feel like this race is changing something in me. I feel like this is an ending of a sort, but maybe it is more of a beginning.

Dave,

That is so sweet :goodvibes Thank you! I look at the three of us the same way --- Good luck on your race today, I know you will do great :thumbsup2

chimera said:
Eric...I'm officially nominating you for membership as a big dog :dog: That Fuerteventura place sounds pretty hardcore!

Mel,
thank you, but I have to admit that Fuerte was kind of tame. We once attended an Aerobic Workshop at Club Aldiana in Tunisia. There were about 150 people attending it and so we had to do the classes on the soccerfield without any shade in temps of around 38°C/100°F. We usually did 2 hours in the morning, then spent some time at the beach, relaxing, basking in the sun, having a light lunch, and playing some volleyball. In the early afternoon we went back to aerobics. And after dinner we did line dancing in the disco. We did that routine for a whole week and the second week I attended a Beach Volleyball Workshop.
To give you an impression of the heat in Tunisia: The Tatooine scenes of all Star Wars movies where shot close to the location of our club. But with the desert so close by it is a dry heat and not as straining as the humid heat in Florida. And in the afternoon we usually had a nice breeze coming in from the sea.

Mouse Skywalker said:
I feel like this is an ending of a sort, but maybe it is more of a beginning.

Oh, Dave, I am thinking about you this morning! I remember when I encouraged you to step up from 2 miles to 3 miles a few months ago and here you are doing a 10K. That is awesome. :cheer2:

Really, as we increase our distance every couple of weeks it is a new beginning. We all should be very proud of the new accomplishments we are making over the year. When I started training for my 2006 Disney Marathon, I thought I could never get over 6 miles, (that was a whole hour of running...unheard of...) the next week 8 miles were doable, etc. etc.

Before you know it, this 10K will be a walk in the park. I can't wait to hear all about it!

Colleen

Mel - WTG on your pace :cool1: You ARE a runner!!!

Sunny - Slow and steady on the return to workouts so no relapses. Glad you were able to get some WT in at the Y.

Jodi - Best of luck on your 10k next week.

Dave - You're SO gonna rock that 10K today. :cheer2: Enjoy!!

Cam - I hope the hip is feeling fine. Please tell Howard we're thinking of him today. Let us know how he does.

10 miles for me yesterday and I think I'm just going to do an active rest day today with some yoga. I am so happpy to report being out of my running funk now that I am looking forward to the Marine Corps Marathon.

Best of luck to everyone with meeting goals this week.

:goodvibes GO DAVE! We're cheering from cyber space for you!!! :cheer2: I'm sending some pixie dust that your legs feel wonderful and most of all that you have a FUN race!!! :goodvibes Can't wait to hear how it went.

First off thanks chimera for sending out the dog catchers - they got me. :rotfl2: Dave, good luck today in your 10 k.

I’m back. Well I have been a bit side tracked by a health scare that had me more than a bit worried. I have been having a lot of pain in the front of my neck since the end of January and finally went to see the doc when I noticed a lump. Immediately my doc had me get some blood work and an ultrasound of my thyroid – having two sisters diagnosed with thyroid cancer in the past 18 months this was an area of concern. The blood work showed a couple of areas of question and then the ultrasound reveled a nodule on the right side of my thyroid. To make a long story short, I was referred to an endocrinologist and saw her on Friday. She reviewed my history, the labs and the ultrasound and stated simply “you do not have cancer but probably have thyroiditis.” However, we will need to have one more test done (doing this on Tuesday) to confirm but she stated that she is 100% sure it is nothing to worry about. She said it is common to get thyroiditis after having the flu and that the pain should be gone in another month or two. It is viral and there really is no treatment other than NSAIDs. Needless to say I was a very happy person Friday morning and celebrated by going out and knocking off a 10 miler in 1:16 on a very hilly course. Boy did that feel great. I then followed that up by participating in a previously signed up for Cancer society Relay for Life event and walked more than 10 miles on the track yesterday. The walk had a bit of a different feel for me than when I signed up for it though.

:grouphug: Goofyguy~I'm so sorry that you had to deal with a health scare but I'm relieved to hear that it isn't too serious! A very good friend of mine had thyroiditis this past winter and she is doing really well now....although during the flare up she really did have a good deal of discomfort. So pixie dust for you and hoping that it clears up quickly!!!!! Also, super job on your 10 miler!

Ohhhhh Dave?!?! I hope things went well today for your 10K! Can't wait to hear how it was!!!

Greetings TEAM:

First of all - Goofyguy1958 I'm glad to hear that your thyroid scare was not cancer. Here's to you getting better.

Erik - wait, did you say you live near where they filmed that Tatooine scenes in Star Wars? Or did you visit there? Oooh, I want to go.

OK, I have to write a quick report on my 10k because I am boarding a plane in 10 minutes. I have to go to Maine for work for 3 days. I wish I could stay here and relish in the moment.

My 10k went GREAT!!! There were some omnious signs early on - it was grey, cold, and rainy when I woke up, the parking for the race was all messed up and people couldn't find anywhere to park, and when I strapped on my Garmin the battery was dead. I was thinking that this race was not meant to be for me.

Anyhow, I got to the starting line, saw people lining up, and joined the crowd. All of the sudden, we're off... OK, no annoucement or anything. Like I said, I didn't have my Garmin, so I figured I would run my pace and take it all in and enjoy it. There were close to 1500 runners, and it took about a minute to cross the starting line. One mile went by in a little over 10 minutes. Not too bad, I was hoping to keep a 10 mpm pace. Around 2.5 miles the woman that runs Fleet Feet where I do my AP Learn to Run Program was there with a van and crowd to cheer us on. She saw me, yelled out my name and gave me a big high five. That felt good, and gave me a little push. I hit the 5k mark close to 30 min, still on pace. I round the corner into my neighborhood, and there's my DW and princesses, DD5 princess: and DD8 princess: at the water stop. It felt so good to see them all there and have them cheering me on. We ran through my neighborhood for another mile, and I saw some other friends and neighbors. The last 2 miles I kept chugging along and we climbed some long hills. I heard my name as I crossed the finish line, and "David Parfitt" has just crossed in just under 63 min. Not too bad. I would have loved to gotten under an hour, but I really just enjoyed the moment.

Thank you Jodi, Amy, Sara, Colleen, Goofyguy1958, Scott and everyone else for all your well wishes. Jodi you're up next I think. Colleen I had forgotten that was you that suggested me to up the mileage from 2-3 miles. I remember my response, and not thinking I was ready. Whoo hoooo! Look at me now. It feels good.

OK, gotta run. Talk to you all soon.

Dave,

AWESOME! :thumbsup2

You are an inspiration for someone like me just getting started in this. I think your 1:03 time in the 10K rocks! I am just hoping I can get under my 52 minute mark for my 4 mile coming up in June.

Keep up the great work!!!

Dave - I know you are travelling right now, but GREAT JOB on the 10k today!!!!! 63 minutes is awesome!! I bet it was extra special seeing your family there to cheer you on. Way to go Dave, you should be very proud of yourself....you did the WISH team good!!

Just a real quick post....

Goofyguy! WOW, what a scare! So glad everything turned out good. :wizard: on your test Tuesday!

Dave - O so cool! Great time on your race. :cool1: :banana: :cheer2:

Sunny - So sorry about your withdrawls. Welcome to RA. :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter