Wk of May 28--2007 WISH Walking/Running Club

chimera

<font color=deeppink>WISH Racing Team Member<br><f
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we're a group of people who are planning to participate in walking/running events throughout the year. Some of us are training for the 2006 Disneyland Half and for the 2007 WDW Half/Full marathons. We'll also be posting news/training for various other events throughout the year. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us, whether you're training for an event or walking/running for fitness!

Here's the Marathon FAQ, a great place to answer your marathon questions:
Disney Marathon FAQ
And some websites for further running/walking info:
http://www.runnersworld.com
http://www.coolrunning.com
http://www.halhigdon.com
http://www.running4women.com/
http://www.runnergirl.com/index.shtml
http://www.katherineswitzer.com/fitness.html
http://www.irongirl.com
http://www.marathonguide.com
http://www.marathonwalking.com
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com
http://acefitness.com/getfit/freeexercise.aspx
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/
The John Bingham site:
http://www.waddleon.com/
Jeff Galloway's site:
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

Race Etiquette with Miss Road Manners

Pacing Calculator

Good training everyone!

akasleepingbeauty Rhonda TX
aladdinsgirl Krista OH
AmyBeth68 Amy NJ
Andrea718 Andrea NY
andromedaslove Dana FL
Buckalew11 Brenda TN
budbeerlady
Calcio Craig MA
CarolA Carol GA
Cheryl N. WI Cheryl WI
chimera Mel FL
Chropistopy Christy GA
Cingoutload GA
crzy4mk Michael GA
crzy4pooh Lynnda FL
debm IL
DianeL Diane
DisneyGirl Marissa
disnygoof Christiana SC
DJBounce Darcey IA
donac Dona NJ
escape
goingthedistance Paul NM
goofyguy1958 Mike
gradtchr Beth TX
hmgolden Helen NY
Hockeychic Kim CA
hockeygirl Laura NY
Honeibee Judy NY
icunurse_celeste Celeste IL
Jen117 Jen WI
Jodi Jodi CT
jodistar Jodi CT
k_hase Kim NY
karebear1 Karen OR
Kareneast Karen NJ
keenercam Cam DE
KeenHo Howard DE
KeriZ Keri CA
Kim10110 Kim
Kimickey Kim MD
Kimwim8 Kim NJ
Kristi1357 Kristi NH
lillouisianagal Claire LA
Lisa Loves Pooh Lisa FL
littlegreydonkey Helen NZ
lizdotcom99 Liz IN
magslite Maggie IL
maherae Anne
maryliz maryliz ON
MdmMim
MelRhoads Melissa AR
MickeySP Lisa MA
Minnie Suzy
monte Monica CO
Mouse Skywalker Dave NY
MouseDogMom Jackie NC
msblrobs Sara NY
NYCpa Kathy NY
ohMom OH
Papa Deuce PA
perfectmatch300 Nancy FL
plutosmyfav Sunny MA
princessmomma Colleen NC
Rachael Q Rachael CA
RunningLilo Dena FL
sap1227 Christy FL
sara
ScoJo15 Scott GA
skfulkers Steve OH
solotraveler Kevin MI
Stenogoddess Lauren GA
stitch lover sith Erin
TammyNC Tammy NC
taz4disney CJ IN
TEK224 Terri PA
TiffJ Tiffany AL
TigerLily03 Lily OH
TnTsParty FL
TXBelle Heather TX
Viking Eric GE
Wbgirl Melissa MN
WDWfan 9 Pat IL
wfloyd Bill FL
wiskband Renee NY
wtpclc Carrie MI
xterratri Lynne ME

strictly a drive-by...I'll have to catch up on everyone's posts later.

Attended my nephew's wedding in Madison, FL today. We're staying in Gainesville tonight, then going to Silver Springs tomorrow on our way to WDW. We were able to upgrade our sSR studio to a OKW 2 BDR, so really looking forward to that! I haven't run in a week in an effort to heal my heel, but have all the running stuff for a few runs around DTD and OKW. DD13 is looking forward to trying out her new NB running shoes and DH wants to do a run with me as well!

Hope everyone's enjoying their holiday! :wizard: for all of our racers this weekend! I'll be looking forward to those race reports!

Glad to start a new week! Sunday is one of my days off from walking/running, but I know a lot of my fellow WISHers are out there getting it done. Remember, there will be a lot of holiday traffic over the next couple of days, and some of it can be dangerous :drinking1 , so BE CAREFUL on the roads!

Also, Dave, great times on your run! I read in your post that you did a 10K last weekend, 50 minutes on the elliptical Thursday, and that was it before your run today. Which brings up a question to me (someone who is training for races for the first time since high school): how often does everyone run/walk/crosstrain/etc.? I've been trying to go 5 times a week, but wonder if that is too much? I'm not going all out each time, but hitting it pretty hard. I know everyone is different, but I would like to know what everyone's typical schedule is.

Hope you all have a great Memorial Day!

Michael

I was so excited that I was really going to join you all this week! I was ready to do the Couch to 5K so that I could actually jog/run for a full 30 mins without stopping.

Well, it looks like that will not happen for me

Tonight at work I was on something like this
7element.jpg
and I felt my ankle pop. It is now VERY swollen and brusing. I have to go to Centra Care in the morning and have them look at it. All I know right now is it hurts a lot and I can not put any weight on it. I don't know how long I will not be able to jog, but I think it will be a while. I will update tomorrow when I know something for sure :sad: :sad:

I was really really excited about doing this.

Christy

Morning Everyone,

Chimera (Mel) - Have a wonderful time at WDW. I wish I were going there :goodvibes, January just seems so far away :sad2:

Christy - I hope you ankle heals quickly.

God, it's so early --- but I'm getting ready for my first 10k (kind of nervous). I really hope that there aren't many major hills - my 5k was brutal!

Well, have a good day everyone, after the run I am going over my brother's for a cookout --- so it won't be until later tonight that I post.

Jodi

Good Morning TEAM: :surfweb:

Rest day for me today. Getting ready for DW and I to take our anniversary overnighter to Niagara Falls. I can't wait. :cool1: :cool1: We have a room booked at the Doubletree Niagara+Spa, dinner reservation at the top of the Skylon Tower in a revolving dining room, tickets to Cirque Niagara, and I got my DW a 60 min massage and 30 min facial at the spa tomorrow for her anniversary present. I'm sooooo excited to have a getaway of our own. Yay, for our cool aunt who is coming to watch the princesses princess: princess:.

Sunny- please, please, please take care of yourself. You gave me a scare when you said that one of the side effects of your meds was severe depression and suicidal thoughts, and then you said you threw away all your personal effects - including your WDW Marathon medals!!! :scared1: Please talk to your family members, Dx or whoever you can talk to. You need some people around you that care about you to keep an eye out on you. It doesn't sound like you should be alone right now.

Michael- as far as number of training days goes it varies for me and I haven't quite settled into a routine yet. So much depends on the family situation that week. When I first started I was doing 5 days/week. However, it seems as my mileage increased I needed more recovery days in between. Right now I'm usually doing 3 days/week, but I'd like to be doing 4.

Jodi- You may be at the starting line for your 10k right now!!!! Good luck!!! Run like the wind. I can't wait to hear about it.

Oh, one last thing... every morning my routine is to enter online sweepstakes hoping to win a trip to Disney. Well, guess what? I won...

a can of Febreeze :cheer2: :cheer2: Whoo hooo!!! It was kind of funny. A box came in the mail, and I had no idea what it was. Turns out it was a can of Febreeze, and it said congratulations you are one of the secondary prize winners in the Febreze "Poocharelli's Prize Wheel" instant win game. It wasn't the trip to Orlando, but hey, I'll take it. I was kidding my princesses princess: princess: that I should put it on the mantle like a trophy.

Happy days, and happy training everyone!!!

Chrity,
PixieDust to you ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

We did 10K on the treadmill on Saturday morning before breakfast and another 9K on Sunday morning. Now we will do the elliptical only and some iron pumping on Monday (Chest, shoulders, arms), Tuesday (Lower and upper back, arms) and Wednesday (Legs) to get some rest before the JPMCCC on Thursday. Wednesday we'll also play some Badminton to losen up a bit.
On Thursday we'll finish work around 3pm and so I should be able to have a little nap before we meet with our team at 6pm. Start will be 730pm.

sap1227 said:
Tonight at work I was on something like this
7element.jpg
and I felt my ankle pop. It is now VERY swollen and brusing. I have to go to Centra Care in the morning and have them look at it. All I know right now is it hurts a lot and I can not put any weight on it. I don't know how long I will not be able to jog, but I think it will be a while. I will update tomorrow when I know something for sure :sad: :sad:

I was really really excited about doing this.

Christy
Christy- I forgot to send you good wishes on your ankle :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:. I hope it is not too serious of an injury. BTW: I love those bouncy things. I am attracted to them like a magnet.

Chimera, Simply, have a great time!

crzy4mk, I usually run - cross training is not included here - 4 or 5 times a week. After many years of running I have found that this getting older body needs at least 2 rest days per week and sometimes 3. You have to listen to your body and rest when it is letting you know it is needed.

sap1227, sounds like you sprained that ankle. Here is some :wizard: PD comming your way for a quick recovery.

jodistar, moving on up to the 10k. Good luck and don't forget to have fun (you have probably already crossed the finish line by the time I posted this).

Mouse Skywalker, congratulations on both the anniversary and "winning" :rotfl2: the sweepstakes. Have a great time.

I plan on doing nothing but enjoying a BBQ at in laws today, watching all the kids, having a couple of beers, dogs, burgers and whatever else that they are serving. Today is my slug day. Yesterday I ran with the running club and we did a 10.5 out and back very hilly course in 1:26:22. This was the first of the year where the temp was near 80 and humidity was really high; so high that when I came off the trails and out of the woods my sunglasses fogged up so bad that I could not see where I was going. Hope everyone has a great day and gets out to enjoy the long weekend.

Sunny- Please take care of yourself! You are such an inspiration to all of us on the WISH team. We would be lost without you! :grouphug:

Michael- I follow the Marathoning for Mortals training program, even when I am not officially "in training" for an event. Basically, I run on Mon., cross-train on Tues., rest on Weds., run on Thurs., cross-train on Fri., long run on Sat., and rest on Sun. That's 5 days of exercise and 2 days of rest each week. Of course, I haven't exactly been following that plan lately. :rolleyes1

No long run for me yet this weekend. Yesterday I had a Premier Designs Jewelry party at my house, and we attended my BIL's high school graduation. Today I am already at work. :badpc: Maybe I can get in 3 miles tonight. Better get working. DH is at home taking care of princess: princess: princess: princess: . They were fighting, jumping on the furniture, and making each other cry when I left. Bye, gotta go to work. :wave2: My DH is a saint.

goofyguy--you are correc :thumbsup2 t. A sprained ankle. Hopefully I will be up and about in no time.

Wow, Dave you were the big winner, that is almost the same as a trip to Disney.

I will try to keep reading this all week, so I am in the right mindset when it is finally time for me to start back up!
Christy

Christy: PD for that ankle!!! Here's hoping it heals extra speedy!!!! :grouphug:

Sunny: :grouphug: Please take care of yourself! I think that teacher was way out of line! And your Dr office is just ridiculous. You've been going through so much lately! Please please keep posting when you need to vent!!!!

We just returned this afternoon from our weekend wedding extravaganza. The girls were beautiful in their Flower Girl dresses and we had an amazing two days of fun! On Friday I ran EIGHT miles before we left....got that LR out of the way early ;). My legs felt amazing afterwards and I really surprised myself on the run. Planned to run 4 today but I'm exhausted so I'll run it tomorrow morning instead! This week the schedule is all jumbled anyway due to the holiday. BTW I finished the 8 miles in 1 hr 30 minutes...which included a hydration walk break and a potty stop! Thank God for construction sites LOL!

Thanks, guys
I'm really out of the woods. I stopped the Levaquin three days ago and none of those dark feelings have surfaced again. I almost feel embarassed for brining it up, but if it could help alert others to be careful then its worth it.

Jodi-- how did the 10K go? I can't wait to hear.

Amy-- sounds like you've got the 8 miler down! Great job!

sUNNY

Dave ~ First to answer one of your previous posts.... I did grow up in the Plum area. I grew up in Oakmont from 1963 until 1977 and then moved to New Kensington. I graduated from Valley High School in 1981, then attended PSU-New Kensington for two years after that. It was during my time at PSUNK that I met Cam.

The Spring Lake 5 Run was a lot of fun. It was HOT :sunny: and humid. I ran it in a PR of 43:56 and had a 8:47 pace. I have a few left over sore muscles from the Marathon not a week before, but it was fine. The part that got and kept my attention was my "t-band". I need to find out more about it. I was telling my friend about my leg (near my knee) where it hurt and I said I didn't know what it was that was bothering me. Another runner over heard the comment and chimed in that it was my t-band. She even showed me a stretching exercise to try to prevent it.

Cam did really well too. I'll let her post about it though.

Happy Memorial Day!

Howard

Christy and Sunny - :wizard: :wizard: for speedy recoveries!

Well, I'm trying to get back in the groove (again!). I went out with the intention of doing a 3-4 mile run/walk today. Ended up being a 2 miler and I walked the last 1/2 mile.

I'm one of those people that likes to eat a little before a run. Usually in the morning a banana and/or toast. Today I did my run/walk in the early evening. Guess I didn't let the burger and 'dog settle long enough. Had a little stomach trouble and had to cut the run short.

Guess I learned my lesson. :rolleyes:

Terri

Morning Everyone,

Happy Memorial Day!

Dave, Sunny, Goofy Guy - Thank you for the well wishes on the 10k yesterday.

I don't feel that I did all that great on the 10k, but I at least made through to the end. It was a really beautiful day (Thank god) but towards the end of the race it just got too hot and we were directly under the sun (it was around 80 degrees - no breeze what so ever), it was also towards the end that my ankle once again started to get sore - I will have to get that looked at and see what's going on.

Anyhow, the race was put together really well and brought us through the business area of Hartford. I don't know how familiar some of you are with Hartford but the area that I was running in has a reputation for being a very rough area but with all the runners and all of the Police directing traffic - no one was going to try anything.

The one thing I did miss with this run --- was there weren't enough people out there cheering us on. Last race people had come out of their houses and were cheering us on but with this race with all the businesses closed for the long weekend -- there was no cheering.

Well, enough of my critique --- the final numbers are out and I finished the race in an hour and seven minutes with only 23 people behind me. I guess, I can't complain I haven't been doing this long but I wish I could have done better.

I didn't take many pictures yesterday, or should I say Bob and I did not take enough pictures yesterday.....but I will try and post some within the next couple of days.

Jodi

Good Morning and Happy Memorial Day to all my American friends.

Sorry I have been MIA for a while. Lots going on. Training is still going good. I am not sure I know what I am doing but just trying to work on distance still right now and will work on time maybe after the summer.

Hope you are all doing well, feel so out of the loop, I will have to read all the old posts.

Have a great day all.

Kim

Confession:

Okay, it's time to fess up and be brutally honest. I am not running anymore. I guess I have to say that since I haven't done a single run since my last 5k a month ago. And worse, I didn't run any to prepare for the previous one. So it's been 2 months and the only running I've done is my actual 2 5ks. Boy, that was hard to admit.

For some reason I'm scared to get out there again. I'm terrified of finding out that my body has regressed and that I will have to start all over with aching lungs and burning leg muscles. I think mentally I just got really bored with doing the same course over and over. I've been trying to will myself out there, but the fear has been more powerful and has kept me on the couch. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this.

I've hated watching from the sidelines as all my fellow WISHers are increasing their milage, and I'm almost certain I couldn't even make it 3 miles at this point. I also hate having to smile and lie when someone asks me how the running is going. "It's going great." Ugh!

I haven't lost a single pound in the past month. I've stayed on my diet pretty much, but I can tell the running was really helping. I've reached a point where I'm comfortable with my weight. Well, comfortable in the sense that it's thinner than I've been in a long time, but it's still no where near healthy. It is at a point where it will remain consistant even if I don't exercise. I'm afraid of going below this weight because it means I will have to exercise to keep it off for the rest of my life. I hate the embarrassment of yo-yo weightloss. Friends celebrating when you lose, and then thinking to themselves "well there she goes again" when it comes back on. I really don't know if I'm ready to commit to keep up a strict exercise regiment for the rest of my life. It would be so much easier to just stay at this weight even though I know it's not healthy. It doesn't hold that risk of embarrassment.

Anyone else ever hit this point in their training? If so, I would love to hear what you guys did to get over it. I told DH that we needed a Garmin so we could run anywhere. Maybe the variety would help, but we just don't have the $$ right now. Plus, it doen't fix the weight issue. Blah! I feel like such a whiner, but I really needed to give these feelings a voice. Thanks for listening.

Dena- You are not alone! I am constantly battling weight and exercise issues. I have a lot of stress in my life with working full time as a lawyer and raising 4 DDs. I get upset because I am overweight and I go on a diet. Then, I get upset because dieting stinks and I just want to eat whatever I want and I don't want to have to diet and exercise the rest of my life. So I go off the diet and my weight goes up again and then I am miserable because I am overweight and feel unattractive. It is a vicious cycle. Right now I am in the diet and exercise phase. I started WW last Monday and have lost 2 pounds. The best part is that with eating better and exercising, I really do feel better physically. My advice is to just do it. Get up off the couch and go for a walk. You don't have to run or even walk fast. You just have to get out there and have the courage to start. Will your legs hurt? Will your lungs burn? Maybe, but my guess is that you have not lost the fitness that you think you have in just two months. I think you will be surprised at how quickly you will be able to return to pre-couch potato state. Get out there today and then post so that we can celebrate your victory over fear!

P.S. True friends don't care about your yo-yo weight. They love you for what is inside. :love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter