Wk of Nov 6--2006 Disney Half-Full Marathon Info/Training

wtpclc said:
OK, I had to find the thread that started it all ofr me. I beleive Mel started it on 1/15. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=714490&page=1&pp=15&highlight=marathon

My first entry "I'm not sure if it will work out, but I'm dreaming of doing teh marathon next year."

Not far below me was Miss Cam. "I can't believe I'm doing this."

I recommend finding your first post (s) to everyone! It's amazing how far we've come!

Carrie -- It is so great that you found that. I LOVED going back and reading some of those original "commitment" posts! Here was mine: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=7386829#post7386829

It's funny. Most days I STILL don't believe I am doing this. But most days? I believe I CAN do it. That is the HUGE difference! And I owe it to you guys for keeping me motivated and providing such incredible support and encouragement. Now, I really, really mean it when I say this -- I just HOPE some of you are still around on 1/7 when I FINALLY cross the finish line. Promise you'll stick around for this slowpoke, okay? :grouphug:

Found it. This was me on Jan. 31.

Can you add me to the list please?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi! My name is Susan and I just took the big plunge and registered for the 2006 1/2 Marathon. Whoa, big deep breath! I am going to be turning the big 5-0 in 2006 and this is my way of defying age. I plan to run the darn thing so I'm going to be training pretty hard. I work with a fabulous trainer three times a week and I trust him to have me ready to go. Looking forward to talking with all of you and hopefully meeting you next January. This is gonna be FUN!!

CAm, we could never leave before watching you finish! :goodvibes

Lisa - Woo hoo!!!!! COngrats on teh quad! So would that be Gary Poppins to his friends? ;)

All the Garmin geek talk has me thinking about buying one. What's the real difference between the models? Do they have an interval timer or would I still need my Ironman watch for that?

Thanks
Kiena

Lisa -- GREAT NEWS!!!! I am so happy for you! Soon you'll be :cool1: and :banana: and :Pinkbounc better than ever, and we will all be here :cheer2: you on! Keep up your great recovery -- you are definitely an inspiration. Your situation would have de-railed a lot of people. You should be very proud of yourself! :hug:

Kiena - Yes, 201 has an interval timer adn much, much more. 301 has all that plus heart rate monitor. I don't know much about the 101.

Thanks for the Garmin info! I'm heading over to ebay now!

The 101 has an interval timer. I think the only difference bet the 101 and 201 is that the 101 does not download into the computer and it uses triple A battries instead of being rechargable. The 201 is slightly thinner since it does not use the batteries. I have wanted to be able to download to get an altitude profile after a run and cannot do it with the 101.

Just checking in since I'm traveling this week and finding myself in NJ today.

Two long runs this past weekend, 9 on Saturday and 12 on Sunday. I seem no worse for the wear, I'm pleased to say, and feeling a little bit like an athlete today :cheer2:

On the down side, the Halloween candy has been talking to me a lot lately and I am feeling like I will be gaining 5 for November instead of losing 5 :confused3

That being said, I have to run off to a company dinner this evening :rotfl2:

Congrats to everyone on their progression. It looks like everyone has come such a long way.

Hoping to do 9 miles tomorrow if I can beat the traffic home...

Lisa - Thanks for the advice, I'll repeat last week & do this weeks x2...Congrats on seeing the quad again! Keep up the + attitude, you rock.

Ya know, I get so wound up in reading everyones posts, that I rarely read the personal info posted below each person. I have to say, though, I am thouroughly impressed by the weight loss that you guys have achieved! It's incredible to me, really. Even those of you still working towards your goal, the fact that you've lost what you have is such an accomplishment, you should be sooooo proud of yourselves!!! And on top of that, you're training for a marathon/1/2 marathon, or BOTH! My hats off to all of you that have literally, turned your lives around!! That is just soooo hard to do, and so cool.

Speaking of weight loss, can anyone help me lose 10-12 pounds more? I'm trying to get rid of this excess b-4 the 1/2, but I'm having a real hard time! And of course I keep reading that when you're training, this is not the time to try and lose weight. But I think I'll forget I read that :teeth:

These last 10 are really stubborn! I need help, please. Again, any advice/secrets you'd like to share?

Jodi

wtpclc said:
Kiena - Yes, 201 has an interval timer adn much, much more. 301 has all that plus heart rate monitor. I don't know much about the 101.

My understanding on the diff between 101 and 201....the downloading to PC.

I'm sure their might be something else--but I didn't read my manual. :rolleyes1

Mine does not have rechargable batteries--but if I am not mistaken, I think I could have gotten a 101 with rechargable..but no idea really.

Also--someone posted their fancy schmancy download (I am jealous ;)) Apparently, the 201 will show changes in elevation....while the 101 just shows the map (went in a straight line, went in a circle...etc.).

Jodi said:
Lisa - Thanks for the advice, I'll repeat last week & do this weeks x2...Congrats on seeing the quad again! Keep up the + attitude, you rock.

Just had a thought---you could also do this week....then repeat last week, then repeat this week. (so you'd do week A week B week A week B). Shakes it up a bit so that the training doesn't seem monotanous...and when you get to repeating week A--it's like getting a break! (depending on what your LR days are at this point).

Lisa - Congrats! It's a quad! :cheer2: :cheer2:

Terri (who has an off-day today)

Ran 6.37 on 1:01 tonight. Most impressed by that fact that all but the first 1.09 miles were after dark. Actually, it was really quite neat. Unlike last week when I ran on the main(e) road and kept getting my night vision shot by oncoming cars, I ran tonight on the back roads by the water. It was really neat seeing the moonlight and the lights from the houses reflecting off the water. Didn't see that snake tonight though. Oh wait, was that because it was dark?

So I thought I could run after class got out at 3 and get it in during daylight but Dr W asked me to help grade 1st year gross anatomy exams at 4. So I ran from home to school in full 'going for a run after dark' gear, helped out for about 2 hours, and then did the other 50+ minutes of my run.

Mel- you asked how people were handling the lack of daylight: I try to run earlier(but I don't do mornings) but I've ran after dark 2 times and on the indoor track once. There are also treadmills available at school but I consider those last resort. I did order some Illuminite reflective clothing so hopefully I'm visible after dark.

Lisa- yeah quad
Carrie- loved the 'one of those people' story. I believe I said a couple weeks ago that there was an alien invasion going on.
Karen- PD for you during this tough time.
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: for everyone else battling aches and pains and and an extra :wizard: that those that aren't will continue in that group.

Lisa, glad to hear the quad is doing better. Hopefully you will be back to a regular training routine in no time.

Just got back from my walk tonight and unfortunately since that one night when I went at a 16:30 pace I have not been able to repeat that pace. My walks have been between 17:78 to 18:39. Not as good as I'd like, but at least I do know I do have that 16:30 potential in me. The good news tonight was - drum roll please - negative splits! Yep, I actually picked up my pace as we went along rather than slowing down! The other thing - it is still way better that the 19 to 20 min pace which was the best I could do as recently as 2 months ago.

So I have taken the big step of signing up for another event - my second race ever! It is a 2 mile Turkey Trot while we are in CTfor the wedding - the day after the wedding, in fact. DH has even agreed to do it with me. I'm hoping to have him push my pace a little bit because he is way faster than me. I just hope we don't freeze! :cold: It's amazing how fast my body has gotten used to this FL weather! We have only been here 18 mo. and the thought of going back to CT for Thanksgiving is sending shivvers through both of us! There is also a 5 mile run that day but I chose the 2 mile based on pace and the fact that I'm sure we will be tired after the wedding the day before. Based on previous years times, even at an approx 18 min/mile pace, I should finish well within the pack in the 2 mile which will be good for my ego after finishing last in the 5K I did last spring. It is a timed event over a course that is more accurately measured than my neighborhood walks, so it should give me a good idea of what my pace really is. I'm looking forward to it. Just have to decide what to wear. Certainly can't be the shorts and tee I walked in tonight!

Ran 4 miles tonight and experimented a bit with the intervals. It was hot/humid/rainy this morning and hot/humid this afternoon, so did it at 8pm. It was so dark!!!! Perhaps when the moon gets a bit bigger it won't be so bad. I did have fun getting chased by the mosquito-spraying truck. I think he was waiting at the intersections until he saw me, then would turn and spray right in my face... cough, cough, sputter, sputter... :crazy2:

Anyway, time to turn in! :wizard: for fast healing from injuries!!! Happy training to all!!! :cheer2:

OK it's not Disney, but I'm sure it will be a really interesting run. Anyone going to try the Las Vegas Marathon ? Our closest friends will be there at that time but they are not planning to run it even though they have both done marathons in the past. I'm going to request a full report from them on this event. :teeth:

Thanks again to the Garmin gurus. I'm so impressed with the 301 but I have a heart rate monitor that I rarely use so I've decided on the 201 so I can get the nifty altitude downloading capapbilities. That sounds like fun.

Jodi- I'm doing Weight Watchers online trying to drop 10 lbs before Christmas. I had some success with it earlier this year. I lost 10 pounds and quit following the program religiously. I leveled out but still need to lose about 15 pounds. I'm just shooting for 8-10 before Disney and then I'll finish the rest off later. The program is pretty simple. My problem is portion control. I LOVE food. If I'm tracking my food and watching those points climb during the day I tend to realize that I'm actually satisfied w/ less food so I don't keep eating.

I'm going to do a 2 miler tonight w/my 9 yo DD she wants to do the Minnie run as soon as she turns 11 (2007) and is eligible so she's been asking to run with me. I'm so excited! We have great talks and we both get some exercise. Nothing could be better-until my other kids get old enough to come.

perfectmatch300 said:
We have only been here 18 mo. and the thought of going back to CT for Thanksgiving is sending shivvers through both of us! QUOTE]

It's actually been pretty comfortable here the last few days. Blow some pixie dust :wizard: our way and we'll try to keep it warm for you!

Thanks for the kind words everyone! :)

I'll be watching for those lime green shirts at the 1/2 finish line.....hope to cheer some of you on in Epcot.

Best of luck to everyone. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter