Wk of Sep 14 - WISH Walking/Running Club

Boomdocker: I also have used a fanny pack, I also have a spibelt. Recently at the DL 1/2 I got a pair of LD Raceready shorts that have 5 pockets across the back side. I had my small digital camera, gel, lipbalm, sports beans and a cell phone. It was great. In most of the "scenic" area I have my camera in my hand (like Jeff), juts be aware to put the little strappy thing around your wrist. Your hand can get sweaty and you don't want to drop your camera.

Off to go do 4 miles, see ya's

Dh says I have runners CDO - (thats OCD but in alphabetical order) Everything has to be exactly perfect before I start to run.
So what happens?
They tease me about how I tie my shoes and I get embarassed and tie them too quickly. I tie them too tight.
Now I have enflamed tendons in my left foot and have to cut my mileage down to recover.
Yeah, everything has to be perfect for a REASON. mutter mumble curse mutter

Boomdocker - Last year, I had planned to take a camera with me but the morning of the half, when I put the camera in my fanny pack I hated the way it felt, so I took it out. I plan to run a couple training runs with a camera this year to get the feel of it.

Always test run what you want to carry. If it is a camera, water, hydration belt, whatever always take a run and see how it feel and how you will use it. Take a good long run. Also test run your clothing...don't buy new shorts and shirts and think it will be perfect for race day without first trying a run in them.

Hi all! Just a quick update.

A few years ago I was diagnosed with plantar faciitis in my left foot. Going barefoot at TKD and being overweight took a number on my feet. It seems to have gone away, but in the past month my other foot has been having pain. It didn't feel the same as the first problem, but I figured it is the same condition. I made it to the podiatrist yesterday. Since I am starting to seriously train now, I didn't want to let the pain go and develop any other problems.

He gave me new orthotics that have a little more give than the ones I've been using. I haven't been running in my other orthotics at all since they are so hard and most of the summer I was wearing sandals or flip flops. I'm wearing the new ones today so we'll see how I feel.

Dee - DBF knows about these boards, but I don't think he's ever visited. We could try to direct him to the new blog so he could see what my plans are. The blog is very clear as to what my intentions are.

In case anyone is interested in the blog, the princess half link in my siggie will bring you there.

Yes, always practice with whatever you are going to use or wear on race day. I practiced first in my LD RR shorts about 2 months before the DL 1/2. I would slowly add things to the pockets to see how I liked certain things in certain places. I also practiced using the camera before I took it to a race.

Did 4 miles this morning. Did about a 14:07 pace. Definately had pinky pistols this morning - ugh.

Took Dog (Mickey) to the vet for some shots.

My PF (planar faciitus) is acting up a bit on my right foot after not having issues for about 2 years. Weird because I am losing weight and do some stretches before and after for that reason. I started keeping my tennis ball by the bed for right when I get out of bed in the morning. I have a massage on tap at 1pm, so I will ask him to do a bit more massage in that area.

Tracy

Hi everyone! Not much to say. I did a quick 3 miles at an 8:45 pace this afternoon. I had planned to do strength training again, but I don't think it'll fit in my schedule tonight.

Best,
Jennifer

A couple of tips on plantiar faciitis.

Use a golf ball, a piece of PVC pipe, or a frozen water bottle to roll your foot.

Put a towel or piece of material on the ground when you're sitting at work or watching tv, and do toe crunches, pulling the cloth towards your heal, using only your toes.

I use those Walk-fit inserts ("AS Seen on TV"), and they work really well. About $20 at Longs, Walmart, or similar stores. Follow the instructions carefully, it takes over a week to get used to them, as your arch is being reshaped.

If really sore, bend your toes "UP" with one hand, and use the other hand to massage the tendons on the bottom of your foot.

Don't take any aspirin, Advil, Tylenol, etc. before going running. You're only masking the pain, and could lead to further damage. It's okay to take after your run, but never before.

Thanks Jeff for the advice. Unfortunately, I am a seasoned pro with PF. I have had previously in both feet. My Massage guys found a tight shin on my left leg on the outter side which is probably why my hip was bothering me on the left back area and said I was probably compensating with the PF on the right foot. SO, STRETCHING and ICING is on order. I have iced already but will get out the foam roller and work on the outter shin areas, get out the tennis ball and work on the feet and hip area.

OK, I just announced this on the other thread but want everyone to know.....

I just registered for the Disney's Princess Half Marathon in March 2009!!

I blame all YOU Wish peeps!! I swore in May at the Minnie that I would NOT do a "princess" anything. And so, there I am registering for it and not liking the choices of Princesses to choose from - ugh.

You people, you are enablers, I can't believe you people!!:lmao:

Oh well, I regiestered for it, so I guess I have to do it now. :rotfl:

P.S. I just got in my supplies for the Jan POP Wish Meet!!

Tracy

Thanks Jeff for the advice. Unfortunately, I am a seasoned pro with PF. I have had previously in both feet. My Massage guys found a tight shin on my left leg on the outter side which is probably why my hip was bothering me on the left back area and said I was probably compensating with the PF on the right foot. SO, STRETCHING and ICING is on order. I have iced already but will get out the foam roller and work on the outter shin areas, get out the tennis ball and work on the feet and hip area.

OK, I just announced this on the other thread but want everyone to know.....

I just registered for the Disney's Princess Half Marathon in March 2009!!

I blame all YOU Wish peeps!! I swore in May at the Minnie that I would NOT do a "princess" anything. And so, there I am registering for it and not liking the choices of Princesses to choose from - ugh.

You people, you are enablers, I can't believe you people!!:lmao:

Oh well, I regiestered for it, so I guess I have to do it now. :rotfl:

P.S. I just got in my supplies for the Jan POP Wish Meet!!

Tracy

Madame's and Monsieurs, princess: Princess Tracy is in the Castle.

You might as well, you have your annual pass, and you're a hop, skip, and a jump away. What's that I hear in my head, blah, blah, blah, DISNEY. :lmao:

Now, some of us have to get back to work. It's not even lunchtime yet here.

Helllooooo, WISHers!!:grouphug:

I missed everyone!!! and seeing Jeff's HI pics, and marveling at how people do loooooong posts mentioning everyone, and especially welcoming NEW people !:welcome:!!

DH and I are heading for Philly in the morning. Then next weekend is EE!! Three months without internet and my WISH buddies is a long, long time. Fortunately, I get to have a WISH fix two weekends in a row.... whooo wheeeee:woohoo: !!

Keep putting in those steps, folks...it's sooooo worth it!!! :goodvibes Anne

Hi all!! Just realized I hadn't officially introduced myself on the proper, weekly WISH threads. I've been posting in the Fat Girls Walking Club thread for a few weeks now. I signed up for the Circle of Life 5K (during WDW marathon weekend) after being inspired by a friend who ran the DLR 1/2 and is doing the Goofy's Challenge. I've never run. NEVER! My slogan has always been "I don't run, unless someone's chasing me with an axe." :eek: Well, here I am in my 3rd week of training. Also just signed up for the Dana Point Turkey Trot 5K (in Dana Point, CA) on Thanksgiving morning, which will be my first race.

So, a bit about me: I live in Southern California, I'm 40, I'm an intense fan of the Champ Car World Series (the series is dead and gone, but I'lll hold onto the memories for life), I've been a motorsport photographer (see my website link in my sig), I've been a tall ship sailor (not since 2005, although I'm still around the boats now and then), I'm an amateur maritime historian and I'm a pirate. pirate:

This running deal is a brand new venture for me, so I'm looking forward to all the advice/support I can get. Glad to have found the WISH forum and the wonderful people I've already encountered within it. :thumbsup2

Magix: :welcome: to the weekly!!!

Sounds great that you are already on your 3rd week and still trucking! Good for you. Glad you'll be joining some WiSHers in January. Hope you can make it to the WiSH meet at the POP Century Friday evening. Hanging with the WiSH Racing team can be quite addictive. Before you know it you'll be doing alot of races!! If your putting in the miles, you might want to join a "team". Here is a link to ask Panda Dave to join one.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=25224912#post25224912

Hey Anne!!! Nice to see you around the WISH!!!

Take care and keep up the good work!!

Thanks, dsnyfn21! I was wondering how those teams work.

HI Everybody! Just got back from the gym and got in a great run on the TM, I ended up doing 5.5 miles in about 64 min. I am doing a run/walk program right now and I am going to work up to running the whole way. Hopefully this will prevent any IT band issues like I had last year before the marathon.

Not sure if I am going to be able to get a run in over the next 3 days as we are heading to Dover, Delaware tomorrow right after work for the Nascar Race!!! We are so excited!! I will definetely be back at it next week when we return!

Boomdocker--I carried a camera with me last year and kept it a fanny pack on my waist. I didn't even know it was there during the race, and I stopped to see most of the characters along the way!

mla1977--take care of that foot! HOpe the new orthotics help!

Tracy--Sorry to hear about the foot pain..I hope it is feeling better soon! Congrats on signing up for the Princess half!!

Anne--Good to see you! Have a great time in Philly this weekend! And 3 months without internet!! :scared1: I might go crazy without internet for that long!!!

Magix--Welcome to the boards!! Everyone here is awesome, you will love it!

Hope everyone has a GREAT weekend!!!

Laurie - thanks. The new orthotics felt okay. Nowhere near as painful as the other ones. I wore them for 1.6 miles tonight.

Magix - Welcome! I should probably be joining the boards that you are talking about.

So I need to make a couple workout playlists for myself. Can you guys recommend some songs to me. I just got a coupld massive playlists loaded into itunes (so massive that I don't even know all the songs) but I need to pair it down to a couple 30-120 minute playlists.

Magix - Welcome

Anne - Great to see you back! Can't wait to see you in Philly!

I've taken off the last couple days (probably not good when I'm still getting ready for the Distance Run). I had a blister, kinda on the bottom of foot, but between the big and 2nd toe. Then it developed into a callous, and during some recent training, got a blister on the callous. It was a little painful to walk on. But it started to callous and I filed it down as best I could. Didn't want to chance another blister before the race. Ugh!

Terri

Busy run today. 8 miles with Guru Les, who's almost back to his normal being. 8 minute mile at the fastest, and 9:30 at the slow warm up mile. 8:50 average.

I had to stop by Nike town to pick up my race packet and shirts. What's really funny is on my bib, my age is listed as 99 years old. I better come in first place for my age group, or that's pretty sad! :lmao: I put my regular birth date, but they messed up.

A fellow staff member from my clinic went to Maui Marathon and ran with his hair on fire. At mile 20, he was 2:30 into the race, when he collapsed. He didn't know what happened to himself, only that he woke up in the hospital, getting an IV. My only guess is he was dehydrated in the heat, and my very likely not taking any gels or power bars along the way.

Let this be a lesson to all, hydrate, and take something to replenish your carbs that your body is burning up during your training runs and races. This guy is an amazing runner, and he BONKED. Proof that no matter how good you are at this sport, if you don't plan well, your day is going to be ruined.

So be careful out there everyone. :thumbsup2

Happy Aloha Friday everyone, and have a great weekend.

I did 30 minutes of hill training on the treadmill last night followed by 30 minutes of flat running. I ended up logging 5.14 miles.

I've also been trying to get up early this week to do the exercise bike to help burn some extra calories. I only missed one day so far! Only 2.5 pounds to go for my initial weight loss goal I set for my first 1/2 marathon next month.

-steve

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter