Woman bumped from Air Canada flight misses $10,000 Galapagos cruise

Glad she ll get to do her trip... another time.
Early check in, purchasing trip insurance and Speaking up...
all good things to consider.

I will say if she booked through the group (it sounds like she did) it may be possible she didn't get to chose the flight. We have stopped booking airfare through travel groups for this very reason. Every time we get a flight that is just way too close for my comfort. I'm doing an overseas cruise later this year and flying in 2 days early even though the ship doesn't disembark from the 1st port until the next day after boarding simply because I don't want to miss my boat. It will take a terrible storm or something really crazy to make us miss it. The rest of the family thought we were crazy but I reminded them they will already be in Europe so they have an easier chance of taking a train or driving if there is a delay but we have to cross the ocean still.

I am not sure how people on this thread are blaming the passenger... Seriously!! If you paid for a ticket you should get a seat... plain and simple.

The contract of carriage states that you are not purchasing an exact seat on a specific flight. Rather that they will get you to your destination eventually. Which I agree, is not ideal. I think people have a problem with the timing of the flight and the cruise. You always always always need to have buffer time between your flights and when your cruise departs. Flying in the day before is urged. Just in case stuff like that happens with your flight.

I will say if she booked through the group (it sounds like she did) it may be possible she didn't get to chose the flight. We have stopped booking airfare through travel groups for this very reason. Every time we get a flight that is just way too close for my comfort. I'm doing an overseas cruise later this year and flying in 2 days early even though the ship doesn't disembark from the 1st port until the next day after boarding simply because I don't want to miss my boat. It will take a terrible storm or something really crazy to make us miss it. The rest of the family thought we were crazy but I reminded them they will already be in Europe so they have an easier chance of taking a train or driving if there is a delay but we have to cross the ocean still.

Ah, that's a good point!! Had not occured to me- I do my own booking for the same reason. Every time I've purchased a package or had a travel agent book it, it's been screwy or cutting it way to close.

I am not sure how people on this thread are blaming the passenger... Seriously!! If you paid for a ticket you should get a seat... plain and simple.

I don't think we are saying that what the airline did is okay because that isn't but at the same time since the airline currently can bump you (and bumps solo travelers and those not booked directly faster then frequent flyers and groups) then it is in the consumers best interest to be prepared for it to happen especially when a $10,000 cruise is involved.

Did I miss the part about the airline's claim that she didn't have a valid ticket? Yet she had a boarding pass? Why am I reminded of United Airlines? Yet, unfortunately people still continue to fly. I was on a flight last night (I know-I'm one of those fliers, but sick family 2000 miles away) and every seat on the airplane was taken. So as long as airlines make money, they'll do it.

It is unclear to me if she did online check-in at the 24-hour mark and just checked her bags at the airport or if she waited until the morning to do all the check in in person.

Bumping is awful, but it does happen. And it is most likely to be the last ones to check in who will be bumped. So if she did wait to just do it all that morning, she likely was one of the last to check in. On any airline I have flown you can check in 24 hours early and just check your bags at the airport - thus putting you in the less-likely to be bumped category.

Did I miss the part about the airline's claim that she didn't have a valid ticket? Yet she had a boarding pass?
That's actually the frustrating part of this article as it presents the situation from only one point of view - the traveller. Air Canada gave out a stock answer and that doesn't exactly help either. But I feel that there's not enough context to allow me to form any sort of proper opinion here.

I find it hilarious all the people on Facebook that have never taken a cruise in their life and are bashing me for blaming the traveller. It's like thinking you're the perfect parent before you have children.

But that's not the truth, so there's nothing plain or simple about it. Air travel doesn't work like that. The sooner we all realize how flying works, the better.

If you have something important to get to, first you have to know that things might happen and you might not get there. Having high status is great. You're covered from a lot of issues. If you don't have high status, at the very least JOIN the FF program of the airline. Do online checkin if at all possible.

DH travels often, and on a recent long flight his ^&*()* corporate TA wouldn't let him book it straight through Delta. They made him book one part of his flight (Buenos Aires to Santiago to Atlanta to Seattle) directly through the local airline, instead of the Delta codeshare, because it was $200 less. He wasn't able to check in ahead of time for ANY of it. He was nervous that he was going to have to get his bag, go through Customs, recheck the bag, etc...because he didn't have time for that. It was impossible. He has status with airlines, but an obnoxious quirk of the corporate TA kept him from protecting his (business!) travel. Thankfully it all worked out; he watched them tag his bag alllll the way through to Seattle so he could breathe. But he still couldn't do any checking in to the rest of the flight until he got to Chile.

If you hear any announcements about the flight being oversold, be on alert. If no one's giving up their seat, be more nervous. If you're told something has gone awry, get on your phone even while the agent is working on things in front of you. Not to be rude, but to have double the chances of getting help. Walk and talk. Start the process of getting the bag back ASAP. Call your TA! Heck, have ALL required documents and receipts and numbers and everything with you.

My husband had a flight out of Newark, got there drastically early because otherwise it was sitting around his hotel lobby, and as it got closer to his flight time, realized there was really bad weather. Talked to someone at the airport, ended up getting his flight changed, the new one was out of LaGuardia. As he taxiied to NY the weather followed. HIs flight to Savannah got cancelled. As did the others. Hours later he ended up on some plane heading to...somewhere west of Savannah, where he got a car, got a hotel, got some sleep, and woke up super early to drive over there.

Flight problems HAPPEN. We can't just bury our heads in the sand and pretend it's all a glorious shiny world where nothing ever goes floopy.

We ONCE had an overnight flight landing the day of our cruise. Nonstop, no bad weather anywhere...we were soooo nervous. We won't do that again.

Did I miss the part about the airline's claim that she didn't have a valid ticket? Yet she had a boarding pass?

In there was...

"She also showed the agent her travel documents and managed to contact the tour company to email her a receipt, proving that she had indeed paid for her airline ticket."

I've had floopy things happen with my boarding pass at least once, where they had to go back and look at something on their monitors before either printing me a new one or letting me go. Things look fine at the bag check area, but odd at the gate.

Her comments only seem to be about how the agent spoke and that she wished she knew that she was being bumped. She doesn't seem to be freaking out about the problem there. So I have a feeling she knew something was funky.

Why am I reminded of United Airlines?

Because it's yet another case of an airline passenger blaming the airline for things? At least she didn't flat out tell the gate agent that they would have to drag her out of the airport while going limp...

"the agent directed her...in another section of the terminal, where she had to wait in line for help"

OMG woman get on your laptop, get on your phone, and get in virtual line *while walking to the CS line*. Never ONLY go to the physical line.

It's unfortunate that this happened. I'm glad Lindblad is letting her go another time. I hope she gives herself at LEAST a full day prior to fly in. Galapagos cruises aren't to be trifled with! Not a lot of leeway there.

But that's not the truth, so there's nothing plain or simple about it. Air travel doesn't work like that. The sooner we all realize how flying works, the better.

If you have something important to get to, first you have to know that things might happen and you might not get there. Having high status is great. You're covered from a lot of issues. If you don't have high status, at the very least JOIN the FF program of the airline. Do online checkin if at all possible.

DH travels often, and on a recent long flight his ^&*()* corporate TA wouldn't let him book it straight through Delta. They made him book one part of his flight (Buenos Aires to Santiago to Atlanta to Seattle) directly through the local airline, instead of the Delta codeshare, because it was $200 less. He wasn't able to check in ahead of time for ANY of it. He was nervous that he was going to have to get his bag, go through Customs, recheck the bag, etc...because he didn't have time for that. It was impossible. He has status with airlines, but an obnoxious quirk of the corporate TA kept him from protecting his (business!) travel. Thankfully it all worked out; he watched them tag his bag alllll the way through to Seattle so he could breathe. But he still couldn't do any checking in to the rest of the flight until he got to Chile.

If you hear any announcements about the flight being oversold, be on alert. If no one's giving up their seat, be more nervous. If you're told something has gone awry, get on your phone even while the agent is working on things in front of you. Not to be rude, but to have double the chances of getting help. Walk and talk. Start the process of getting the bag back ASAP. Call your TA! Heck, have ALL required documents and receipts and numbers and everything with you.

My husband had a flight out of Newark, got there drastically early because otherwise it was sitting around his hotel lobby, and as it got closer to his flight time, realized there was really bad weather. Talked to someone at the airport, ended up getting his flight changed, the new one was out of LaGuardia. As he taxiied to NY the weather followed. HIs flight to Savannah got cancelled. As did the others. Hours later he ended up on some plane heading to...somewhere west of Savannah, where he got a car, got a hotel, got some sleep, and woke up super early to drive over there.

Flight problems HAPPEN. We can't just bury our heads in the sand and pretend it's all a glorious shiny world where nothing ever goes floopy.

We ONCE had an overnight flight landing the day of our cruise. Nonstop, no bad weather anywhere...we were soooo nervous. We won't do that again.

In there was...

"She also showed the agent her travel documents and managed to contact the tour company to email her a receipt, proving that she had indeed paid for her airline ticket."

I've had floopy things happen with my boarding pass at least once, where they had to go back and look at something on their monitors before either printing me a new one or letting me go. Things look fine at the bag check area, but odd at the gate.

Her comments only seem to be about how the agent spoke and that she wished she knew that she was being bumped. She doesn't seem to be freaking out about the problem there. So I have a feeling she knew something was funky.

Because it's yet another case of an airline passenger blaming the airline for things? At least she didn't flat out tell the gate agent that they would have to drag her out of the airport while going limp...

OMG woman get on your laptop, get on your phone, and get in virtual line *while walking to the CS line*. Never ONLY go to the physical line.

It's unfortunate that this happened. I'm glad Lindblad is letting her go another time. I hope she gives herself at LEAST a full day prior to fly in. Galapagos cruises aren't to be trifled with! Not a lot of leeway there.

Right. I would like your post a thousand times if I could! It's always a good idea to troubleshoot virtually while you're in the customer service line. You get out of there earlier, you might actually beat the people ahead of you in line to a sooner flight, it has the added benefit of making you feel useful, and it's definitely given me bonus points with the CS desk. Because if you've already done it partially, and know what your options are, you may be in better mood when you talk to them and also make it so they have to do less for you.

If we have a flight component to a vacation we always fly in one full day early. In addition to helping adjust to any time changes we have less worry if something happens with a flight for whatever reason. It's just something that is factored into costs and length of a trip. Things happen that are outside of our control i.e. fly into Atlanta during the afternoon in the summer and you will almost certainly have a flight delay due to daily thunder showers.

Right. I would like your post a thousand times if I could! It's always a good idea to troubleshoot virtually while you're in the customer service line. You get out of there earlier, you might actually beat the people ahead of you in line to a sooner flight, it has the added benefit of making you feel useful, and it's definitely given me bonus points with the CS desk. Because if you've already done it partially, and know what your options are, you may be in better mood when you talk to them and also make it so they have to do less for you.

Yea, I missed a flight from Paris to Toronto. Next flight was the next day. So I asked about flying to New York/Boston/Chicago and then to Toronto. Would have never occurred to the agent to route me through the USA, but it worked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter