Wonder in Alaska - August 9 to 15

super cool picture of the ship in Skagway. I am going to have to go hunt down your other posts to fill in my holes.

Toy Story the Musical is not on the top of my list for Disney Cruise line shows.

Sounds to me like you got inexperienced wait staff. We have had really super good incredible ones on Disney, and other's that, well let's just say by the time we got home we couldn't remember their names. I hope that you will give Disney another chance at some point in the future as my family really does enjoy it.

that really irks me about the desert buffets not being in the navigator, nor the late night buffets either. I have NEVER known about them ahead of time and we always do late dining. Also found for younger kids, it's not so good a fit with their schedules either.

This was a day to sleep in. We had little planned and while our kids were having a great time, we were ruminating over whether or not we should just cancel our already booked DCL cruises or wait until we talked to someone from Guest Services. It was well after 10:30 before anyone called and it was the Port Adventures desk. The least of our concerns, but the person most willing to listen of anyone we spoke with so far on the cruise. I gave him the rundown stressing that we didn't think any of these issues ruined our cruise (and they didn't ... even collectively) we didn't understand how Disney had let it standards to fall to below what we had experienced on RCL and rivaling that of Carnival (which we found to be below RCL in our experience). It was a very positive conversation, but it lasted until just past 11:00, which meant ... no breakfast as BBB was closed at 11:00. I picked up some fresh fruit, and called it good.

We had another spa appointment and Palo scheduled for the late afternoon/evening so we spent the rest of the day talking with various CMs who called us to talk about our experiences and what they could do to help. Our teen was finally talked into coming to Vibe and had a most excellent time.

Now for a word or two about Shutters. We didnit take a LOT of pictures, but with 7 people and three staterooms, there were several to choose from. The single CD was $280. We decided that was the way to go, only problem is, that was the charge, per stateroom. We talked to someone in Shutters about this and explained that we were really just one immediate family. We showed them our embarkation photo to confirm everyone was in one picture, boarding together. They had us purchase a CD for each stateroom and waived the charges for the other two. We did get three different CDs for the one "low" price of $280. There were not many more "professional" photography opportunities left but we told everyone to find whatever pictures they wanted to take and to take them. There are some really great pictures by the way! I think we'll use one of them for our Christmas cards. Yes, we were given reproduction rights with the CD as long as we didn't use them for commercial gain.

TIP: Talk to Shutters people early and make your decision on what you will do then. If you have more than one stateroom, discuss it with them. You may be able to get them all for one price. Even if they won't do that, we ended up having one stateroom that had most all the pictures attached to it. We could have just purchased that CD and a couple of extra prints and been done with it. You can add prints to a given stateroom too so you may be able to "build" a single CD with the pictures you want. They were more flexible than I expected with this option.

We headed into Diversions to relax a little and decided we'd go and do the "Art of the Theme" tour ourselves. This was well worth it. It really helped us appreciate the detail that was put into the ship's design and configuration. We ducked out early for our spa appointment and afterwards got ready for Palo and a wonderful ... most wonderful ... dining experience.

We had to hurry after Palo to get our bags packed and out in the hallway. It was already a few minutes after 10:30. We had told our stateroom steward, Neil, that we had Palo that night and might be late with our bags. I did this as I handed him the tip envelope. He said it would be no problem and that we should relax and enjoy our night in Palo. He was right. They were just finishing up the bags in our hallway when we set ours out at around 10:45. This is when we noticed that all of our nighttime chocolates were missing. We asked if we could have them back by morning and we were told yes. Just a few minutes later, Neild knocked on the door (he was already off) and handed us a bunch with his appologies. I don't know why they were collected. Perhaps he thought he was doing us a favor. We were saving them for the trip home. He replaced them, and then some. He really didn't have to do that.

After Palo we decided to sit and watch the night go by from our verandah. It turned out to be a great final full day on the ship. We had talked about our issues with several people, all with a genuine concern and gratitude that we brought them to their attention. We were also promissed a follow-up call, shoreside, in the near future.

We called it a night.

Back on day six we had told our stateroom steward that we needed to disembark with our kids who were on the first deck and that we wanted to have luggage tags that all matched. He went down to the first deck and picked up some tags for us and left them in our stateroom. That meant we were Daisy.

We awoke in time to shower and get ready to leave our stateroom and head for breakfast. We were scheduled for Triton, late. By the time they opened the doors, they had already called Daisy. We decided to eat breakfast first, we had a long day of travel ahead of us.

We had a different waiter that morning, not sure if that is normal or not but he was awesome. We got breakfast and were out of there. As we were leaving the ship, I met Lon. He is one of the people in charge on the ship and one of the people I spoke with the day before. He is a VERY nice gentleman who worked for Disney at WDW before taking his turn on the Wonder. He knows and understands Disney and was very receptive and understanding of our concerns, top to bottom. He was there hoping to see us off and wish us well. Wow! Talk about taking strides to make things right. I couldn't have been more pleased.

Disembarkation from the ship was a breeze, it was customs that held us up. We learned from our embarkation experience to keep everyone together, which we did. They recommend that the head of household keep all the passports and custom form(s).

TIP: I further suggest that each passport be opened to the photo page and sorted in order of the names on the customs form(s) and that everyone stand in that order in line. All 7 of us went through very quickly and the Canadian customs officer was very appreciative.

We then picked up our bags but what we didn't know is that we hadn't really cleared customs yet. We were going to open up our bags and start transfering things from our carry-on to checked baggage and were told we could not open our checked bags yet. So, we headed out of the customs area, handing over our checked and verified customs form to the final Canadian agent.

The next thing we did was follow the signs and people directing us to the DCL transfer area. This is a VERY organized process. After only about 10-15 minutes we were loaded onto a bus headed for Vancouver airport.

TIP: Pick up US customs forms at Guest Services aboard the ship and fill them out when you fill out the Canadian customs forms. It will save you a step when you leave the airport. That is, of course, if you are heading to the US. ;)

During the bus ride was watched a Disney "sales" video that talked about WDW, DLR, DVC and Adventures by Disney. We stopped in an empty parking lot and a Disney person boarded our bus to explain the US customs process and hand out forms for those who might need them. We had ours filled out already.

After we left the bus we headed to our airline checkin. We didn't do any checkin on board the ship and that wasn't a problem. Our flight was 1:30 and it was still early. We had plenty of time. We checked in at the kiosk and printed off receipts for our bags and boarding passes. When it was our turn they tagged all the luggage and handed it back to us. This was a little strange but we soon figured out that we were about to go through another customs process.

We stood in line and eventually were called to put our checked bags on a conveyor. They stopped each bag, checked the boarding pass for each passenger and a camera took a picture. Since we were all together on one customs form, he linked all the pictures together too. That is, except person number 7, who, with a different last name and different address, had his own customs form. This is where we discovered one of the differences between US customs and Candian customs. He was on his own from this point forward as far as US customs was concerned.

Now that our checked bags were on their way, we stood in another line to go through the standard airport screeners. We had moved a number of items that we had onboard the ship in our carry ons that were not allowed as carryon items on an airplane to our checked bags before saying goodbye to them. That made this process a bit easier. Still, we had one person pulled out of our party for random screening. All that "extra" time we had was disappearing. We still had no worries, but I can certainly see why you want to leave two hours to get through the airport.

After finally clearing the airport screeners it was time to head through US customs. There were signs all over welcoming us to the US, even though we were still in Vancouver. I know this is normal, but is sure seemed strange. We all got through the line eventually. The customs officer looked at the pictures of the bags taken earlier. I'm not sure what he was looking for, but he checked us through and we were now heading to our gate. We had about an hour to spare.

The rest of our trip home was pretty un-eventful, save for the false warning light of air pressure trouble on one of our engines that caused almost an hour delay coming out of Seattle. We were picked up promptly by SuperShuttle at the Orange County airport and dropped right at our door.

WOW ... sad to be off the ship, but good to be home.

While there were problems that we encountered along the way that did not meet our expectations for a upper-middle class cruise line, much less one of the Disney brand, we all had a most excellent adventure. We will have memories to share and treasure for a lifetime. I highly recommend an Alaska cruise adventure for everyone, even those who may not think of Alaska as a good cruise destination. It was truly awesome.

My word of caution is this. We booked late and booked three staterooms, paying full price for all but one guest (the third guest in a room sails at half price almost everywhere you book and only one stateroom had three guests). This was our choice based on the ages and genders of our cruisers, but this also meant that the "Disney premium" was made even greater. This made our cruise quite expensive, at least to our standards.

While I have no regrets for our expenditure for this very important vacation (there is more to this story than I am willing to share here), be aware that there are quite a few other cruise lines that are all going to the same ports and most of them charge a lot less than Disney for what amounts to the same off-ship experience. This includes the beautiful scenery. We didn't shop around. We wanted Disney. We believed that DCL would give us more than the other lines could, because they were Disney. Perhaps we should have known better, but we are real Disney fans and that sometimes means we are a little biased.

We're currently booked on the Disney Fantasy for June of 2012. I did some poking around just for grins.

We can sail on the RCL Allure of the Seas on the same dates, in an upgraded cabin, for less. This ship sailed in 2010 and is considered the largest ship on the water. They have 18 decks and an onboard zipline. This is HUGE. They even have their own version of a Character breakfast, complete with Dreamworks characters.

We can even take a Trans-Atlantic cruise aboard the new Carnival Breeze that sets sail in 2012. This is also a top-of-the-line ship that rivals that of the Fantasy in accomodations. A brand new ship. 15 days. Trans-Atlantic. For less than our DCL reservation aboard the Fantasy.

I'm not planning on taking either of those ships, at this point. My book is not closed on DCL, yet. But having sailed once now (but only once) I am really not sure I understand how and why Disney can command such a premium. I was a believer, maybe someone can make me a believer again.

thanks for sharing everything. just one note for you to comptemplate, the transatlantic cruises are a hard sell so usually less money than many of the 7 day cruises (this is due to the number of days at sea and the airfare costs for one way to and from different destinations).

I do hope you stick with the Fantasy and enjoy it, but whatever you go with, it sounds to me like your family will enjoy it and have a GREAT time .

Great Report...

We were on the cruise with you....

I will say that the dinner service can be spotty. We have been on 6 Dis cruises and for four of them, we had the same server, she is excellent and now does training on the Dream.. Sarah (from England). While on the Dream, she had a very "challanged" assistant server assigned to her as a project and she was picking up the slack all week for him. He was still learning english. We gave her our feedback and she already knew everything we were talking about and pushing him. She thought he would make the cut and was trying very hard, that was enough for me.

If you liked animaters on the Wonder. Animaters on the new ship will blow you away! It really is awesome!

Our service on this cruise was sufficient. The Server was fine, and assistant server was really good. She ran her butt off.

I found PALO just okay, but I might be biased since we went on the night they were serving lobster in the main dining rooms. Poor planning on my part. Was dissappointed they would not serve me Lobster in Palo that night.. How hard is it to stock some lobster up there for that night.. The Filet was really good though. Also did a PALO brunch and found it to be okay, not that great this time. Will not do Palo on the next cruise.

As for the dessert buffet... You are not going nuts, it was not in the navigator. That was our Palo dinner night and the server told us a "secret", his words, that there was a chocolate buffet. WHY IS IT A SECRET??? There was a long line, it was late, we were full, so we skipped it.

I will say that my wife and I have also tried Celebrity and Carnival, and we will choose Disney every time. Maybe it is just being familiar with the ships not sure...

O and one more comment on the SPA noise.. They told us that the Wonder is heading to dry dock in 3 weeks and they are soundproofing between the sports deck and the spa.. THANK GOD!

Thanks for sharing! I was on the cruise too, not sure if we met in person. I agree with many of your comments regarding the food etc.

I saw you mention your 18 and overs went to the college club, did they have fun? I have gone every year since I was 18(23 now) and I loved it.:cool1: and by the way great trip report

Great trip report (from another fellow cruiser)- I agree with you that we are not always 100% happy with everything that happens on our DCL cruises, and that we also expect more, because it IS Disney. But all in all, it must be good, becuase we keep coming back. Maybe, as Joe said, it's becuase the ships feel like "home". In spite of all the mishaps, time together as a family is always a good thing! ;)

I saw you mention your 18 and overs went to the college club, did they have fun? I have gone every year since I was 18(23 now) and I loved it.:cool1: and by the way great trip report

I think the college club idea and the way it was executed was excellent. That group had a ton of fun, my DD18 in particular had a seriously good time and can't wait to get back on a Disney ship.

Great trip report (from another fellow cruiser)- I agree with you that we are not always 100% happy with everything that happens on our DCL cruises, and that we also expect more, because it IS Disney. But all in all, it must be good, becuase we keep coming back. Maybe, as Joe said, it's becuase the ships feel like "home". In spite of all the mishaps, time together as a family is always a good thing! ;)

See and that's just it with us. We really did like a lot of things aboard the ship and we really did enjoy ourselves, but we are generally pretty practical and Disney seems to be, on average, about 1/3 more expensive than everyone else for the same itinerary. I thought that our experience aboard the ship would make it obvious for me why that is. I expected to really see and feel the difference. I did, to some extent. Here are some positives that I think only Disney delivers.

1) The guests on board all share a common "love" for all things Disney. That makes a great ice breaker for conversation but it also means we all have that same attitude about the cruise. A postiive and fun-loving attitude. A healthy exhuberance.
2) The unique split-bath in most staterooms. This seems like a minor thing to some people but it is a real plus.
3) The all-inclusive nature of the experience. That is what cruising is meant to be. We only had to pay extra for three things while on board the ship. Alcohol or specialty drinks, merchandise and tips. Even while on shore we didn't have to pay for shuttles and in our case where we booked our excursions through Disney, there was no second-guessing when and where we were supposed to go. All-inclusive.
4) The youth programs. This is not one we will be taking advantage of much anymore and there is something that seems to be amiss with the way Disney has approached these programs. Walt wanted the experience in his parks to be a FAMILY experience. These programs are designed in such a way that families are split apart. Kids are separated from the adults (and kids are even separated from their siblings) and enjoy what amounts to a separate vacation. That just doesn't feel right.

The question that I'm asking myself now is whether or not those things are worth the price premium.

Here is a more specific example:
We are booked on the June 16, 2012 Disney Fantasy for the 7 night Eastern Caribbean.

Port Canaveral, Florida,
At Sea
At Sea
St. Maarten
St. Thomas/St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands
At Sea
Castaway Cay
Port Canaveral, Florida

Price Breakdown
Me: $1,834.00
DW: $1,834.00
Vacation Insurance : $293.44
Air Travel: $1,110.00
Government Taxes & Fees (Cruise): $142.74
Taxes (Air): $42.80
------
Total $5,256.98
*Price includes $25 Onboard Credit

Cruise costs, including taxes = $3,810.74

Royal Caribbean has the same cruise

Me: $1,219.00
DW: $1,219.00
Taxes/Fees: $171.42

Total $2,609.42

The Royal Caribbean stateroom is what is known as a Promenade room, which is the closest thing to a Deluxe Inside Stateroom on the Disney Fantasy.

The ship is called the "Freedom of the Seas" and departs on about the same day with the following itinerary.

Day 1 Port Canaveral, Florida 4:30 PM
Day 2 CocoCay, Bahamas 7:00 AM 4:00 PM Tendered
Day 3 Cruising
Day 4 Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas 11:00 AM 7:00 PM Docked
Day 5 Philipsburg, St. Maarten 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked
Day 6 Cruising
Day 7 Cruising
Day 8 Port Canaveral, Florida 6:00 AM

Yes the ports are a little different but both cruises leave and return to the same place, at about the same day and both include a trip to their respective private island.

Yes, the Disney ship is brand new and the RCL ship is old by comparison having first launched in 2006, but it is still getting rave reviews from passengers. They even have their own version of a character experience using Dreamworks characters.

So ... what are you receiving by way of your experience for that $1,201.32 difference in price? Are those "extras" worth it? Based on my experience on the Wonder this past week, I don't see it. Maybe some of you who have sailed more than I have can help me out here.

dude you are now typing faster than I can read! Not that I am complaining. LOL! Love reading your take and comments on things as well as your families. I have often wondered about the scrapbooking even on DCL and guess I just will let it remain a mystery to me, doesn't sound like it's worth my time. The Salmon grill however sounds like it is more than worth my time!

More about the scrapbooking.

My wife and one of my kids are really into this stuff. We have a cricut, all sorts of cutters, books, pages, just all kinds of things. My wife has been to just a few of these scrapbooking things, including one on RCL once. She was expecting to build a page. Usually, they have all the stuff there to help you build a really neat and unique page that you can put into your book for the cruise. They give you ideas and even hand out a few "extras" for your other pages. That wasn't the case here. They did have a couple of pages that were available and she picked those up and they were planning to help you build a page, but they didn't have very much stuff there, just the basics. Add to that the fact that there wasn't even a place to sit at one of the tables (and she did get there on time ... just not early). She grabbed a chair to at least listen and was asked to join one of the other tables, where there was no room, so she didn't even feel like she was welcome to sit and observe.

If you don't scrapbook much then I'm sure this was a very good session. I get the impression that this is what is was geared towards. Basic page building. Sort of a beginners thing.

At Sea

So ... what are you receiving by way of your experience for that $1,201.32 difference in price? Are those "extras" worth it? Based on my experience on the Wonder this past week, I don't see it. Maybe some of you who have sailed more than I have can help me out here.

I hear you loud and clear. Not that we are huge crusing "experts", but we have taken three cruises on Royal Caribbean and three also on Carnival (gasp!) in addition to our DCL cruises and always been very pleased with the majority of our vacations. Like DCL there are some things that we love on RCI or Carnival and some things that we think could be done better. When the kids were growing up, the youth activites on DCL were second to none and well worth paying for. But my youngest is now 19, so that really isn't a consideration anymore for our family.

As much as we love "our" Disney ships (and we do!), we are practical folks and when there is a significant price difference (and $1201.32 is pretty significant in my mind) we sometimes choose the other line. I think you will enjoy other lines very much as well. I know that's not the "popular" train of thought on this board, but it's just my opinion. ;)

I think the college club idea and the way it was executed was excellent. That group had a ton of fun, my DD18 in particular had a seriously good time and can't wait to get back on a Disney ship.

glad she had fun, it was a great set up and for every cruise it is different. Like some cruises they plan more activities/meet ups and other cruises with not as many they don't. I love how the cruise staff trys to get all of us up and doing things:goodvibes

More about the scrapbooking.

My wife and one of my kids are really into this stuff. We have a cricut, all sorts of cutters, books, pages, just all kinds of things. My wife has been to just a few of these scrapbooking things, including one on RCL once. She was expecting to build a page. Usually, they have all the stuff there to help you build a really neat and unique page that you can put into your book for the cruise. They give you ideas and even hand out a few "extras" for your other pages. That wasn't the case here. They did have a couple of pages that were available and she picked those up and they were planning to help you build a page, but they didn't have very much stuff there, just the basics. Add to that the fact that there wasn't even a place to sit at one of the tables (and she did get there on time ... just not early). She grabbed a chair to at least listen and was asked to join one of the other tables, where there was no room, so she didn't even feel like she was welcome to sit and observe.

If you don't scrapbook much then I'm sure this was a very good session. I get the impression that this is what is was geared towards. Basic page building. Sort of a beginners thing.

thanks for the follow up, while I do not scrap as much as I would like too, a beginner experience is not what I need either.

in regards to the late night buffets, I was just reading a trip report from July and she said it was under late night snacks in the navigator. No idea if that is the case or not as in the past if it was in there, I have not noticed it.

in regards to the late night buffets, I was just reading a trip report from July and she said it was under late night snacks in the navigator. No idea if that is the case or not as in the past if it was in there, I have not noticed it.

That is where it usually was listed on the cruises I went on that has one.

I talked to someone from DCL who called me today and confirmed that this late night thing is sometimes in the Navigator and sometimes it isn't. The onboard staff also confirmed that it wasn't placed on the Navigator for our cruise but they really didn't say why. Turns out we really didn't miss it. It wasn't published.

My conversation with the DCL rep was interesting. She was very interested in hearing my feedback and appologetic for our overall experience but offered nothing to keep me as a returning guest aboard a Disney ship.

I talked to someone from DCL who called me today and confirmed that this late night thing is sometimes in the Navigator and sometimes it isn't. The onboard staff also confirmed that it wasn't placed on the Navigator for our cruise but they really didn't say why. Turns out we really didn't miss it. It wasn't published.

My conversation with the DCL rep was interesting. She was very interested in hearing my feedback and appologetic for our overall experience but offered nothing to keep me as a returning guest aboard a Disney ship.

so glad to hear they called you back and listened! and that we are both not blind cuz I SWEAR I have never seen it on a navigator, and those late night snacks are of interest to me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter