Wonder May 16, 2004 Room 5006- all in one post

wx_chic

Earning My Ears
2 adults non-married Cat 8, 2 days prior at WL with free conceirge upgrade, 4 days at WL after with free conceirge upgrade.

Highlights of the cruise- snorkeling on CC, CC in general, eating breakfast as we backed into CC, the shows and Palo brunch.

My first cruise was on RCL Navigator November 2003, so I will be comparing quite a bit.

DCL blew RCL out of the water on: private island, theatre shows, Palo brunch, overall theming and disembarkation. And the whistle is way cool too. AP atmosphere is great, other restaurants ho-hum.

RCL wins on: general food taste and variety of selection, non-show entertainment, and service.

I will qualify that we enjoyed ourselves enough to re-book on board. The 14 day was very tempting with the price for a Cat 6 low but just couldn't guarantee that much time off from work, so we went with the 7 day out of Calif. because we wanted early June 2005 for some teachers to be able to join us. We're rethinking to change to another 4 day because CC and the shows are what we really enjoyed. We can get the other ports in Caribbean on cheaper cruise lines and the West coast does not appeal as much as we first thought. I think what I did not enjoy as much on DCL could have been alleviated with a group sailing versus just us two. When we have kids, DCL will be the first choice hands down.

I thought we would be looking for quiet places (like the Deck 7 aft) but actually I found myself looking for more fun. We did the bridge and galley tour- both were very fascinating. The more I think about it I did not like that I had to go to the show before dinner and then have another hour or two to muddle around before dinner. That is my biggest complaint with Disney ship non-show entertainment, but I understand that they could only really offer 1 adult activity at a time, it just never really seemed to fit my mood or timing was off. Again I place this under my perspective and taste, I'm sure it's fine for others. I did enjoy the dueling pianos and I wish those were not being cut. Get rid of the off-key singing duo in the Promenade Lounge and do the pianos there. The main problem on board was rude people. At the shows people got up and made no attempt to go to the outside so as to not disturb many people. I understand and do not mind kids needing to leave or getting fussy for whatever reason, but standing in the aisle having a 3 minute conversation with the still seated members of your party is really not the way to handle it. Or getting up to get another beer during pivotal times of the show, it could have waited as none of the shows were over an hour long. Or letting your toddler slowly crawl up the stairs while you stand over them. Just poor taste during any performance, anywhere.

Service: I think we just got some non-enthusiastic ones. All did their job, except the assistant waiter was not good at all. Our drinks were never refilled on time to keep the meal flowing. Our tablemates were not the greatest conversationalists so that did not help. I would have liked a little more interaction and conversation from cast instead of the quiet satisfactory service. Our main server was due for leave in a few days, assistant looked new, and room steward was a quiet Asian lady, so I am assuming we just did not get the match-up that works best for us. It was still quality service just not up to what we had at WDW conceirge and on the RCL cruise.

Food: I wish DCL would offer a standard Ceasar or regular dressing salad to the menu along with the always available meats because that is a great help when you have a picky vegetable eater and one whom does not like any sauces/dressings other than standard American ones.

Pool: I wish there had been more activity at the pool. Pools on ships are too small to get in anyway, and I had the quiet water day at Serentiy Bay on CC. Though it was nice to have the hot tubs mostly empty because of the pool set-up. Maybe keep the set-up add more activity for the adults around the pool, if nothing else more upbeat music.

Room: Window and seperate bathrooms were great. RCL's shower is round and has more room for you than the bathtub set-up (again I understand the need to do the tub for kiddies). RCL also ran the shows/activities on board continuously on the tv. DCL lacked in this (only 1 showing on tv as best we could tell and it wasn' the same performace as cast was different), though they did have more regular cable stations that RCL did not. Our room over the theater was not bad except for the matinee showing of Golden Mickeys on CC day, we went back early to take nap since BF was still gaining back strength from an illness (non-contagious). Our room literally shook. The phone also went out twice and had to traipse down to Guest Services to have them fix it. The shower leaked though we did not complain, and the repairman interrupted a nap because of it having to be fixed right away. Again I'm assuming we just got a dud of a room.

Reservations: I booked towncar and we arrived at port at 12:30. Checkin and on ship inside of 20 minutes. Were hearded toward buffet but wanted to eat in PC so we went to get Palo,Spa, and shore excursion ressies first. We were third in line for Palo and first to want the brunch. Couple massage scheduling was no problem and was enjoyable except for the pressurized sales pitch for expensive products. Were able to open up the shore excusion desk as well, no problems. Then PC was empty as far as tables go so we ate there.

FL Tours: 2 roundtrips- MCO to WL, Port to WL. Satisfactory service on time, however had two problems and did not enjoy any of the 4 drivers. After searching for them at the port, the driver did not have the proper car credentials to take us out of the cruise terminal (because he was covering for another driver) so we had to load luggage into a larger van (there for someone else probably) though our car was right there and then pull over on the curb to switch out to the towncar. They said it was because the port office had not been open on the day before (a Wednesday non-holiday). Not sure I believe that. And 2 the driver at end of trip brought us to US Air terminal even though he confirmed we were on Southwest. I was out of the car before I realized. Drivers friendly but not engaging except to complain about driving of others. I do not remember any of their names because they did nothing for me to remember them. Tiffany town car was better on my WDW trip 2 years ago.

After re-reading it seems I pointed out the negatives in detail. We really did have a good time but I think the on land part was so great with conceirge level that we were spoiled. Also BF had more energy on land than sea probably adding some negativety to our perspective.

Totally forgot to mention DU Merrie Thomas was wonderful through the entire process of land and sea seprate bookings with PS requirements as well. There was a memory box gift as a surprise from her. On the re-book, the DCL agent asked if we wanted DU and Merrie again, so I do not even have to transfer the ressie. I get the 10% and $200 credit even if we change dates but the 10% will be off the current price. DVisa $50 credit not useable because it combines offers.

Thank you wx_chic for posting your trip report. I enjoyed reading it and I liked hearing the comparison to RCL. We plan on taking another cruise in the distant future and like to hear what other cruise lines have to offer.

PS we are HUGE WL fans, glad you enjoyed it! :wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter